Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mom Faces Trial for Leaving Child in car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom Faces Trial for Leaving Child in car

What do you think?

Mom Faces Trial for Leaving Child in Car
    By DON BABWIN,
    AP
    Posted: 2008-03-12 18:05:10
    Filed Under: Crime News, Nation News

CHICAGO (March 11) - Treffly Coyne
    was out of her car for just minutes and no
    more than 10 yards away.
    But that was long and far enough to land
    her in court after a police officer spotted
    her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in
    the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two
    older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins
    into a Salvation Army kettle.
    Minutes later, she was under arrest - the
    focus of both a police investigation and a
    probe by the state’s child welfare agency.
    Now the case that has become an
    Internet flash point for people who either
    blast police for overstepping their
    authority or Coyne for putting a child in
    danger.
    The 36-year-old suburban mother is
    preparing to go on trial Thursday on
    misdemeanor charges of child
    endangerment and obstructing a peace
    officer. If convicted, she could be
    sentenced to a year in jail and fined
    $2,500, even though child welfare
    workers found no credible evidence of
    abuse or neglect.
    On Dec. 8 Coyne decided to drive to Wal-
    Mart in the Chicago suburb of Crestwood
    so her children and a young friend could
    donate the coins they’d collected at her
    husband’s office.
    Even as she buckled 2-year-old Phoebe
    into the car, the girl was asleep. When
    Coyne arrived at the store, she found a
    spot to park in a loading zone, right
    behind someone tying a Christmas tree
    onto a car.
    “It’s sleeting out, it’s not pleasant, I don’t
    want to disturb her, wake her up,” Coyne
    said this week. “It was safer to leave her
    in the safety and warmth of an alarmed
    car than take her.”
    So Coyne switched on the emergency
    flashers, locked the car, activated the
    alarm and walked the other children to the
    bell ringer.
    She snapped a few pictures of the girls
    donating money and headed back to the
    car. But a community service officer
    blocked her way.
    “She was on a tirade, she was yelling at
    me,” Coyne said. The officer, Coyne said,
    didn’t want to hear about how close
    Coyne was, how she never set foot inside
    the store and was just there to let the kids
    donate money, or how she could always
    see her car.
    Coyne telephoned her husband, Tim
    Janecyk, who advised her not to say
    anything else to police until he arrived. So
    Coyne declined to talk further, refusing
    even to tell police her child’s name.
    When Janecyk pulled up, his wife already
    was handcuffed, sitting in a patrol car.
    Crestwood Police Chief Timothy
    Sulikowski declined to comment about the
    case. But he did not dispute the
    contention that Coyne parked nearby or
    was away from her car for just a few
    minutes.
    He did, however, suggest Coyne put her
    child at risk.
    “A minute or two, that’s when things can
    happen,” he said.
    Talk about the case has intensified,
    particularly online, where bloggers are
    weighing in on various message boards.
    Many have harsh words for the police
    department, calling the arrest of a mother
    who left her child in a locked car for a few
    minutes an abuse of authority.
    Yet statistics show thousands of children
    are injured and dozens die every year
    after being left unattended near or inside
    vehicles.
    “I am talking tens of thousands of people
    who leave their kids in the car for any
    period of time all around America,” said
    Janette Fennell, founder and president of
    Kansas-based Kids and Cars. “People
    don’t appreciate the dangers of leaving a
    child alone in the car.”
    Coyne’s attorney, Michelle Forbes,
    argued that Coyne did not break the law
    any more than a mother who parks in
    front of a school in a rainstorm and leaves
    an infant in the car as she runs a few feet
    to pick up another child.
    “As long as the car is not out of her sight,
    then the child is not unattended,” she
    said.
    Cars with children inside have been
    stolen while the owners stepped inside
    service stations to pay for gas, Fennell
    said. Children sitting in cars have choked
    on things they stuck in their mouths. On
    Tuesday in Houston, after a woman got
    out of her car to walk across the street to
    talk to someone, her toddler was killed
    after he climbed out and tried to follow
    her.
    “That child was also 2,” Fennell said,
    referring to Coyne’s daughter.
    Coyne and her husband believe she is
    unfairly being lumped in with parents who
    put their children’s lives at risk.
    “If I were going on a shopping spree then,
    yes, I would deserve arrest,” Coyne said.
    “I was standing right there. I never went
    into the store.
    “I’m a great parent.”
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Re: Mom Faces Trial for Leaving Child in car

I can think of more than once where this could have been me.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Wow, that really freaks me out because I've done similar things. Sometimes I'll leave DS in the car (with the engine running) if I have to return a book to the library. The outside drop box is right outside the door and super-close to the parking lot, it probably takes me less than 30 seconds to run there and back to the car. Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore...? :huh:
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I did this yesterday....I had to drop of Daegan's urine sample...I actually ran into the doctor's office and ran out. I felt a little guilty about it, esp since Daegan wasn't sleeping and it wasn't raining, but he hates getting in and out of his car seat....sometimes it takes a meltdown for 10 minutes before I can get him buckled again....with him being sick I didn't want to chance it.

I hope the judge throws the case out.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I read this last night and think its absolutely ridiculous, the police in that town obviously have nothing better to do!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I am a freak about not leaving my kids in the car (we have a family friend whose 2 year old got out of his carseat, shifted a car into drive, and accidentally ran over his mother), but this is absolutely ridiculous! At least once a week, some friend stops over to drop something off or pick something up and leaves children in the car in my driveway. Does this make me some kind of accessory to a crime? And, as much as I am nervous about leaving kids in the car, there are times I have left my infant in the car, while in plain sight, to drop my toddler off. I'm glad this is getting so much internet attention - how crazy!
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Obviously I'm not a parent, but I think this particular situation is ridiculous. How is this any different than leaving a child alone in a room while going to the bathroom or answering the phone.

Comment

I've done similar things myself. Dumb case for trial.
                Needs

Comment

Was her 2 year old still in the car while the mom was handcuffed in the police car before dad showed up? What about the other kids?

Of course, I have left kids in the car... I usually don't leave them unless Kate is with them to "monitor" everyone, but... the criminal mom actually didn't LEAVE her car...

That being said, I dont' know why she would put a sleeping 2 year old in a car seat to take her to Walmart in the first place, doing a good deed or not. :huh: Certainly not an arrestable offense, but odd.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

OK, embarrassing personal story: So when DS was about 3 or 4 weeks old, DH and I had him in our Ford F-150 extended cab. He was asleep in the rear-facing car seat, which of course was mounted in the back seat. DH and I were engrossed in some really serious conversation as we were driving. So engrossed that the conversation continued as when stopped at the dairy to pick up bread and milk. And continued as we shopped for a few minutes. And continued until...

WE REALIZED WE'D LEFT DS IN THE TRUCK!! Unattended. In a BAD neighborhood.

Then it got worse. Not only had we just committed misdemeanor child neglect...but then I almost got in trouble for SHOPLIFTING! We both realized what we'd done at the same time, looked at each other and shouted, "SAM!" and both headed for the door at top speed. Only I had a basket in my hands, full of groceries. The clerk, not realizing what was going on, assumed I was trying to shoplift, and made a move in my direction, to stop me. I then dropped (literally...smashed onto the floor) the basket, shattering the jug of milk and creating a huge mess. Only, I didn't stop, but just kept running out the door.

We never went back to that dairy.

Comment

This case breaks my heart all the way around. On one hand, you have got to be fawking kidding me. Who HASN'T done this? A show of hands?

Parenting is hard work, especially nowadays that we have to strap kids in to a straight jacket to go somewhere. Of course, bad things can happen. My husband recounts stories to me daily about patients that absolutely could have been us. Parents accidently run their toddlers over with an SUV, a child punctures his eye and brain while running with a kite, a kid got his hand severely burned by getting too close to the vacuum cleaner and getting it sucked up. I could go on and on, but I'll spare us all the additional fear. Yes, really awful, terrible, unfair, unjust, things happen. This stuff keeps me up at night. Yes, we should do everything in our absolute power to protect the humans that are most precious to us. Yes, it is unthinkable to even go there.

...and yet, we live in a culture of fear that keeps kids from playing outside, kids from ever learning any independence, parents who are stressed and overtaxed. There is a continuum of safe and unsafe behavior. We each have to make that judgment call. Is our child old enough to take a bath by themselves? Is our child old enough to stay alone? Should the internet be accessible to them?

I fully admit that I have taken some small risks with my kids. I have left my eight year old alone in the house while I run to the preschool around the corner to pick up my daughter, a criminal offense in Ohio. I have left my daughter in the car to run my son into his karate class.

I hate to sound like a crusty senior citizen, but I think about the risks that I take in comparison to what my parents' generation did and I feel uber conservative. I rode in the back of my dad's pickup truck, stayed at home by myself EVERY SINGLE DAY after school from second grade on, and played alone with another first grader at the neighborhood park a block away alone for an hour several days a week.

Yes, we live in different times and we have to protect our kids, but this is way over the top imho. The thing that sucks about this is that yes, the cop was right. Something Bad Could Have Happened. In the same sense, when can judgment be restored to parents where it belongs?

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I have been thinking about this poor woman since last night. As I was putting my 3 year old DD and my groceries in the car today, it occurred to me that I could be arrested for returning the cart to the corral with DD in the car. What a nightmare for that poor mom.

Comment

I never leave my kids alone in the car, and I think this is ludicrous. What crap. It's getting to the point where we have to have a physical finger on our children at all times until they are 16 years old, at which point they are expected to get into a car, go out into the world, work, and make adult decisions. Just how, without a speck of independence allowed, are they supposed to do this?

Not all 10 year olds are equal, and not all "leaving your child in the car while you do X" is equal. That police officer is obviously NOT a parent, or is one of those Mommier than thou types.

I feel like an old codger when it comes to this too! At my son's age, I was at home for hour and hours on end by myself after school, every day. I had a key on a shoelace around my neck, and walked through a bad neighborhood with all the other kids who did the same home. I watched my brother and sister for hours at a time. I cooked, poorly, on the stove. I would leave my immediate neighborhood to go to a friends house. I would ride my bike for miles to a convenience store to buy a tootsie pop. At 12 years old, I took a bus with my friend on the weekends to the mall or to the ski resort by ourselves!

Somewhere between this and that, there is a middle ground we are missing.
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

This article is much more slanted than others I've read. If I remember what I saw when this story broke a few months (?) ago, there's some controversy over whether the few minutes/Salvation Army bucket story is contrived. If so then that's not cool, dude. I mean, how did someone see and report the situation and have the police report on scene and stand there at the car before she noticed? Something's fishy.

My personal standard for leaving the kiddo in the car is, would you leave a million bucks on the back seat in the same situation?
                            Alison

Comment

“As long as the car is not out of her sight,
                              then the child is not unattended,” she
                              said.
                              I pretty much agree with this (although if I tried hard I could think of exceptions). Though of course not in hot weather.

How old are children when they become capable of unbuckling themselves from their carseat?

Each situation is so individual--I had to leave the sleeping baby in the house while I took the garbage outside, through the backyard and across the alley while my husband was away for a week. I guess I could have brought her with, but it was iced over out there, and I thought carrying her and the garbage across the ice was probably more of a danger to her than her being out of earshot for less than thirty seconds.

But while i was doing it I was remembering someone on a parenting board, a Californian, saying she never leaves her baby inside the house for even a minute for fear an earthquake could trap the baby in there alone.
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X