Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

for the Clintonites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: for the Clintonites

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa
    Originally posted by Jane
    As to the "Other Things Are Worse" idea - of course I know and understand that concept. I'm simply saying that the US cannot hold itself up as a paragon of virtue and criticize the tactics of other nation, when we have some of our own people acting like thugs.
    Good people in the US can criticize the tactics of terrorist organizations - even though there are obviously bad people in the US.
    Good people EVERYWHERE can criticize the tactics of terrorist organizations. Being against terrorism has no basis in nationality.

Comment

Not really on topic, but...
      If you'd asked me 6 months ago if I'd consider voting for a republican in this election, I'd have laughed you out of the room. But more and more, I'm thinking McCain is the way to go. Do I agree with his war policy? Probably not.
      But BOTH democratic contenders are now proposing throwing another 30 BILLION dollars at trying to rescue the economy. Is the solution to our problem borrowing MORE money and expanding the deficit to new records?
      We rag on bush for throwing away years of balanced budgets and reduced national debt, and now both dem front runners are pushing the same (just larger) idiotic proposals as he is (YES! mail out MORE CHECKS! that'll solve our problems! and spend MORE MONEY to mail MORE LETTERS to tell people that their checks are in the mail), because it sounds good to struggling voters?
      McCain is saying that the government is not in the business of bailing out failed mortgages or foreclosed homeowners. It sucks to lose your home, but y'know what - if a mortgage sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
      It is seeming more and more to me that both dems are just saying what they think people want to hear, and McCain is the only one telling the truth. And if they carry through on their plans, I see no end to our economic troubles.
      And to tell the truth, one party in charge of house, senate AND white house kind of scares me.
      (though appointment of more conservative justices scares me too).
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa
        As to the "Other Things Are Worse" idea - of course I know and understand that concept. I'm simply saying that the US cannot hold itself up as a paragon of virtue and criticize the tactics of other nation, when we have some of our own people acting like thugs.
        Good people in the US can criticize the tactics of terrorist organizations - even though there are obviously bad people in the US.
        Good people EVERYWHERE can criticize the tactics of terrorist organizations. Being against terrorism has no basis in nationality.

Well, obviously....

But, I was pointing out that US citizens can criticize the tactics of terrorist organizations legitimately regardless of having some of "our own people acting like thugs" as you put it. You were implying that it is hypocritical of a US citizen to abhor terrorist organizations such as Hamas because you personally disagree with US foreign policy. I am saying that that doesn't make any sense.

You can criticize the United States and other good people in the United States can criticize terrorist organizations. One is not a rebuttal to the other.
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

The initial question was relating to diaglogue with a group whose tactics we find deplorable. My arguement was concerning the tactics that the Bush administration has lobbied so hard to keep / make legal, therby saying that we have lost some of our own credibility on the world stage as "paragons of virtue".

Comment

Working...
          X