Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cameras in the classrooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras in the classrooms?

One of the schools in Central MN is considering putting webcams into the elementary school classrooms so that parents can check in on their kids anytime they want.

What do you guys think?

I'm opposed to this...it just feels wrong to me (How's that for an argument ). I guess I just think that at some point we do need to let our kids step out and learn to socialize/make mistakes. I think it will encourage even more micromanaging of teachers and children's lives by parents.

Who wants big brother watching them all of the time anyway? I think it would be miserable as an adult to have a camera on me all day long. I understand the desire to know what your child is doing or see if they are misbehaving, but....don't kids also have the right to make social mistakes, pick their noses or space out from time-to-time without being filmed?

Personally, I don't WANT to be able to watch Andrew not pay attention during science class. It would only serve to upset me . At some point, I have to be able to let go a little bit!

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: Cameras in the classrooms?

Boy, what a great idea! You could download the video for the day and then review the day with your child, correct any errors, and follow up with the teacher with suggestions.

Kidding. Maybe for security by the doors if that was a concern otherwise I think it is a bad idea. It reminds me of my mom checking her dog at Camp Bow Wow's website when she comes to visit.

Comment

If the school is doing an adequate job ensuring that the teacher is actually teaching, then I don't see the need for it.

I can just see the conversations at homing going along the lines of:

C: Didja watch me at school today?
      Me: No.
      C: Why not? (read as - Don't you love me?)
      Me: I was working to ensure that you have food to eat while your Dad spends more money than god on an education.

Kris

Comment

I've seen and heard of this happening at pre-schools and daycares but I think that is completely different then grade schools on up. Once they are school age they need a little independence and the teachers need some flexibility with their teaching an discipline. I would think that school district would have a REALLY hard time hiring teachers.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Well, jeez- video-taping kids...

That's the stupidest thing EVER.

Jenn

Comment

Well, I would appreciate having "proof" when parents wonder what teachers do all day.....

But really, I think it is a bad idea.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
              Well, I would appreciate having "proof" when parents wonder what teachers do all day.....

Comment

Sally,

I thought about you last night. Amanda had her final music concert of the year. Their music teacher really must have been inspired when she planned it because she made it half choir concert/half musical. It must have been a huge undertaking...and she looked exhausted...also, last night was her son's 4th birthday..... Her husband held him up for everyone to see, and I thought she was going to cry. I know she's happy her final concert is over!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My final concert was last night, too. It is bittersweet.....I am SO GLAD it is over, but I will miss my 8th graders that are moving on to the high school. I have had most of them for 2 years, and I really like them! The concert went well -- the kids were excited beforehand and happy afterwards. Can't ask for much more than that! A lot of parents were nice enough to find me afterwards and compliment the choirs, too, which is always nice, and fun to pass along to the kids the next day.

Amanda's program does sound like an ambitious one. I bet her teacher slept well last night! I sure did.

6 more days of school.....I can hardly believe it.

Sorry for the hijack!

Sally
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                    One of the schools in Central MN is considering putting webcams into the elementary school classrooms so that parents can check in on their kids anytime they want.

What do you guys think?

I'm opposed to this...it just feels wrong to me (How's that for an argument ). I guess I just think that at some point we do need to let our kids step out and learn to socialize/make mistakes. I think it will encourage even more micromanaging of teachers and children's lives by parents.

Who wants big brother watching them all of the time anyway? I think it would be miserable as an adult to have a camera on me all day long. I understand the desire to know what your child is doing or see if they are misbehaving, but....don't kids also have the right to make social mistakes, pick their noses or space out from time-to-time without being filmed?

Personally, I don't WANT to be able to watch Andrew not pay attention during science class. It would only serve to upset me . At some point, I have to be able to let go a little bit!

Kris
                    I am not sure I would want that kind of public access to my kid. Sounds like an opporunity for some weirdo to stare at the kids. Ewwww. Even if access is "secure," who's to say that someone in the household of some other kid...someone with problems...wouldn't use the access for his own jollies.

Comment

Working...
                    X