Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

UK Approves Hybrid Embryos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Approves Hybrid Embryos

Part animal,part human only allowing it to develope up to 14 days
    ...As a lay person,I feel very uneasy about this. Please, my scientific friends,help me to understand this a bit more.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... 4&src=news

Re: UK Approves Hybrid Embryos

We just watched I Am Legend last night, and I lay awake half the night thinking about it. Not a good time to be asking about real mutant humans!

I know people have been afraid of scientific advances all through history (not to mention the questions I got about IVF and not from people who have religious reasons to be against it). But I have to admit that this seems just creepy. Aren't there other ways to do this type of research? Not the scientific answer you were hoping for, sorry!

I'll have to ask DH what he thinks. With this type of thing, he usually has a unique perspective that I hadn't even considered.

Comment

My immediate response is that there are reasons why it doesn't work in nature and we probably ought not to toy with them.

I think we human beings have amply demonstrated a massive ego when it comes to attempting to change Mother Nature. New Orleans, anyone?

Jenn

Comment

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I wish I understood what they hope to gain from this :huh: It just seems scary.

And I have always been in favor of stemcell research before.

Comment

I guess I'm a freak, or again, maybe I read way too much SF, and it's set my "ooky" threshhold way too high, but I don't see what the problem is. Those who are bothered by this, what exactly are you bothered by? What's the fear? I'd like to understand, but I don't see anything real to be afraid of, with the possible exception of "what if they don't actually destroy them after 14 days of development like they're supposed to", I guess.

I don't see it as playing god in any more significant way than a lot of the infertility stuff we already do all the time. What's the line that's being crossed?
            People used to be sure IVF would create monsters.
            I may someday need a pig heart valve in my heart.
            We use chicken eggs to grow vaccines we inject into ourselves.

:huh:
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I completely realize that scientific advancements have been met with fear all along. And these are the things I fear:

They are deliberately creating a living being, knowing they're going to destroy it. (This is not a commentary on abortion, either way. People who have abortions weren't going out there to create & destroy. It's also different from IVF, where the intent is to create human life, and where most embryos are transplanted.)

Most of my other fears are related to the possibility of letting them live longer than 14 days. What if we discover there are so many more medical benefits with more developed hybrid beings? Where do we draw the line, and who decides? Are these beings protected by animal laws or human laws? There are a million more questions (like the possibility of more animal to human virus mutations), but it begins to sound like science fiction.

I'm not even going to go into all the issues this raises with my spiritual beliefs!

Comment

My highly technical answer?

It just bothers me.

there are LOTS of scientific "advancements" that bother me.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                  My highly technical answer?

It just bothers me.

there are LOTS of scientific "advancements" that bother me.

Jenn
                  That sums it up for me too.
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                  X