Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Scott Mclellan's book: What Happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Mclellan's book: What Happened

Probably not. I just picked up a 600 page book and that means pushing another one on the back burner.

I did like listening to the radio commentary today on Talk of the Nation (interview with Ari Fleischer and then a snippet from Karl Rove on another show among others). And the book comes out on Monday, right?

Re: Scott Mclellan's book: What Happened

Oh hell yeah, and I expect that I will be even more pissed off at the ways of this administration than normal.

Jenn

Comment

If I find it at the library this summer, sure!
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

If I can borrow it I will but I'm not buying it, I'm interested to see the interviews he's doing tomorrow though.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I was wondering the same. What changed his opinion? Or did he think those things at the time? Why not resign sooner?

One other part I heard about was the Valerie Plame situation. I can see that he didn't know about that when he spoke to the press.

Comment

Frankly, my response to the allegations he reportedly makes in his book is DUH! The allegations, alone, aren't shocking; it is the person making them.

So, I'm with Nellie:
            Originally posted by cupcake
            I was wondering the same. What changed his opinion? Or did he think those things at the time? Why not resign sooner?
            I'm not sure yet whether I will read the book. But, I agree with Lily- I definitely won't be buying it.
            Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe
              Frankly, my response to the allegations he reportedly makes in his book is DUH! The allegations, alone, aren't shocking; it is the person making them.
              Same here. I feel as though there's a sudden announcement all over the news that pro wrestling is fake. Oh really?
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Well yes, it's obvious. I think the "shocker" is that someone from "within the fold" is saying it. I'd like to read it - but I'll probably get all riled up with Jenn Hussey.

Comment

Bitter, fired former employee with the self-serving dual motives of selling a book and remaking his image after having done what everyone agreed was a sh*tty job while Press Secretary and was never a real White House insider (as are none of the press secretaries--they get cut out for a reason). Not really my thing, regardless of the party or the source. To me, sounds like he might have spun things and "remembered" details conveniently--lacks a bit of credibility to me (not entirely--I'm not calling him a liar, by any means. Just sort of a "look at the source and his motives" kind of thing). Sort of David Brock-ish.

I have a feeling a lot of people who buy the book will be doing so because they already hate Bush and want their anger confirmed. Half of the people I know who are so psyched about the book didn't even know who McClellan was until he started doing the morning talk-show rounds. And now they care deeply about what he thinks in retrospect.

Pay for it out of my own pocket? No. If I get it for free, though, I'd read it. I read Stephanopolis's (which wasn't of the same "kiss and tell" genre), and I thought it was well-written, engaging, and humanizing. (I tried to get my copy signed when he came to Dallas, but the line was FOUR hours long at the Borders!!). His book didn't cut his former boss slack or sugar-coat things, but it didn't give the feeling that he was backstabbing the guy who brought him to the dance. But then, George was a lot better at his job that McClellan had been at his.

But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                    Abigail, he must have been an insider to SOME degree - he worked for Bush for 20 years.
                    To some degree, I'm sure he was an "insider" in the sense that he knows Bush well and clearly was trusted. However, he wasn't the type of insider that he was suggesting he ought to have been. He's irritated that Bush wasn't interested in including him in strategic war planning. But then, why would Bush? McClellan was the administration's public mouth, not an advisor. He's not even qualified to opine on the issues. But, more importantly, why would you want him involved in strategizing? You want a press secretary to be protected from knowing too much in terms of background and strategy. He's a parrot for the message--if he knows too much, that makes his job more difficult, because he has to consciously, continuously sort out what he can say and what he shouldn't.

The only press secretary I've heard of who's been an actual advisor was Tony Snow...and he made that an explicit term of his employment. And he had the experience and savvy to handle the dual role. (Although, the stress apparently was not good for him...as we now know...sounds like it contributed to his cancer recurrence...).

Maybe if McClellan were a more impressive guy to start with, I'd be more interested in the book. But, to be honest, the whole thing reminds me that book that Jenna Bush wrote a couple of years back. I remember her from the 2004 RNC. When she spoke, she looked and acted like a complete, flakely, spacey dim-wit. Although she (unlike McClellan) has probably matured and grown quite a bit since then, I still think, "Ugh...seems like a real waste of time" when I see her book in the store.

When Rice puts out her memoirs, I'll definitely buy that. And Petraeus. I may not agree with everything they say and do, but they both seem like deeply impressive, intelligent people.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                      He's irritated that Bush wasn't interested in including him in strategic war planning.
                      Well, and why would Bush need his help? We were going to be greeted as liberators! We didn't need (or have) a strategic war plan.

Comment

Working...
                      X