Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Most Important Election Topic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Important Election Topic?

It is hard for me to sum up my major concerns with this election. As I have mentioned before I am not from the US originally. So one of my major concerns is healing the image of America in the eyes of the world. Obama said something in his speech that really hit me, the idea of judgment. That you need to chose someone who has the ability to look at a situation and make the right decision, not the popular one or the politically advantageous one. I am also reading Gore Vidal on Lincoln right now so this may have something to do with it. I hate that Republicans and Democrats allow social issues to drive such a wedge between them. I don't think that it is unreasonable to say that we would rather not be in a war right now, it has been 7 years; that would we would rather have cheaper gas, that we would rather have a better housing market, a better health care system, better roads and not have to pay for checked luggage. (Superficial concern I know, but I am about to travel and $15 seems like a lot right now) So I guess my biggest concern is having someone in the White House that I trust (whatever that means). I want someone that world leaders do not consider a joke (trust me that is what Bush was though of) and I want someone who will make decisions based on the future of this incredible country, not for political gain or personal wealth. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in the Republicans right now, after 8 years, so I hope that the Democrats can truly act as the "party of Roosevelt and of Kennedy" and figure it out.

Comment

Re: Most Important Election Topic?

Originally posted by sstreet
      It is hard for me to sum up my major concerns with this election. As I have mentioned before I am not from the US originally. So one of my major concerns is healing the image of America in the eyes of the world. Obama said something in his speech that really hit me, the idea of judgment. That you need to chose someone who has the ability to look at a situation and make the right decision, not the popular one or the politically advantageous one.
      Since I'm not a U.S. resident, I agree completely. Although I don't hold the right to vote obviously, I feel that the most important election topic is the foreign policy. The U.S. have gone from a reasonably high level of international support during the Clinton administration to currently very poor ratings in large parts of the rest of the world. Although foreign attitudes towards the U.S. won't impact the amount of people that go to the ER with maladies that don't necessarily require treatment there, I fear it will eventually have significant negative effects, as international trade relations become less favorable. Also, of course, there's the increased threat of terrorist attacks that comes with strongly negative attitudes towards the country.

Comment

Working...
      X