Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fred Thompson's speech and while we're at it Lieberman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Thompson's speech and while we're at it Lieberman

Ok am I the only one who liked this speech? I thought it was very very moving when he spoke of McCain's POW experience , and some of the things he said I had to just snicker:

Now, our opponents tell us not to worry about their tax increases. They tell you they're not going to tax your family. (Laughter.) No, they're just going to tax "businesses." So, unless you buy something from a business, like groceries or clothes or gasoline -- (laughter) -- or unless you get a paycheck from a business, a big business or a small business, don't worry, it's not going to affect you! (Laughter, cheers, applause.) They say they're not going to take any water out of your side of the bucket, just the other side of the bucket! (Laughter.) That's their idea of tax reform.
    Ok this just struck a cord with me. I hate the pixie dust comment "I'm going to cut 95% of the taxes for the working American worker" - w/out actual content. And I thought Fred's comment, although nippy was funny. It goes to the whole arguement about the reform needed on our current economics. That we need the interest to go up so the value of the dollar goes up, but we at the same time want to cut it so we can keep homes on the market and keep the inflated home values from going back down to the normal range. You can't have both. Now, I"m not saying McCain has the answer , but I can't wait till the debates to hear more content on HOW they want to fix stuff.

And Lieberman? Did he just ruin his career, speculation says he did. Or is he just an honest fellow, who just said what he needed to say to stay truthful to his gut. Lieberman may find himself very alone in the Democratic caucus.

Re: Fred Thompson's speech and while we're at it Lieberman

The speeches were just fine--good, actually. It is hard to enjoy any of this, though. There is so much upheaval and worry related to how the Palin situation is going to shake out.

Comment

I watched last night ... parts. I kept yelling at the tv, and finally dh said "Jenn! I don't think you're their target audience!"

I'll be watching tonight. I can't have participated in 18 pages on Sarah Palin and then not stop to see what she has to say.

Comment

I liked it when Fred said something to the effect of McCain loves his country and can't even salute the flag. I've read both of McCain's books and I thought Fred did an excellent job of showing what kind of a patriot he is.

I didn't really listen to Lieberman, democrat, independent or whatever he is now his talking style has always driven me nuts.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've been listening while IM'ing w/my equally liberal cousin-in-law. DH is leaving town tomorrow though - so that wouldn't be good.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
            Originally posted by Color_Me_Sulky
            And Lieberman? Did he just ruin his career, speculation says he did. Or is he just an honest fellow, who just said what he needed to say to stay truthful to his gut. Lieberman may find himself very alone in the Democratic caucus.
            He already isn't in the Democratic party. And I can't imagine this would ruin his career, given that he's already withstood a serious challenge from the left.

I didn't get to see speeches last night (Les Miz instead!), but I'll be watching tonight. Along with everyone else, I suppose.
            Well actually I heard that he still joins the Democratic caucus and there was speculation if the speech would make things quite difficult for him. But they could have been wrong for all I know.

Comment

Working...
            X