Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy VP debate everyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy VP debate everyone...

Originally posted by Laker
    So Sarah doesn't have much "foreign policy experience"...Barack just went on his big PR foreign tour/Iraq a few weeks ago. It isn't like Barack is the messiah of global relations...
    Apparently all it takes to be a master...is a 10-day well publicized trip and making a few speeches to be annointed the second coming of Kissinger. Foreign relations is something that can be picked up on the job...just like learning how to actually be an executive of something.

People are seriously ripping on her because she is a woman...Some don't like her accent :huh: Give me a break. Everyone loves Obama's "preacher" style...but Palin must just be an idiot because she speaks like a lot of Midwesterners/Alaskans.
    Originally posted by SuzySunshine
    I really wish people would stop comparing Palin to Obama - compare Obama to McCain and compare Biden to Palin or compare them as teams, but Palin's comparison to Obama means nothing.
    ITA

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
      I don't find the Obama preacher style appealing in the least. In fact I find it a bit of a turnoff. I don't believe people find Palin unfavorable because she has a vagina. I think she's getting a pretty easy ride, comparatively. Is talking about Palin *at all* now sexist? I think it's sexist to give her a pass when any male candidate would be through the ringer. And yes, I hate her accent. I hate Bush's accent. I prefer my candidates to be familiar enough with diction to pronounce the "g" on the end of words when discussing major world issues. I also think winking at the camera during a vice presidential debate is inappropriate. And I find her condescending tone to be self-righteous, obnoxious and generally unprofessional.

If that is sexist, well, I guess I'm sexist. And completely okay with it.
      I am soooooooooooooo right there with you on all fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
        I don't find the Obama preacher style appealing in the least. In fact I find it a bit of a turnoff. I don't believe people find Palin unfavorable because she has a vagina. I think she's getting a pretty easy ride, comparatively. Is talking about Palin *at all* now sexist? I think it's sexist to give her a pass when any male candidate would be through the ringer. And yes, I hate her accent. I hate Bush's accent. I prefer my candidates to be familiar enough with diction to pronounce the "g" on the end of words when discussing major world issues. I also think winking at the camera during a vice presidential debate is inappropriate. And I find her condescending tone to be self-righteous, obnoxious and generally unprofessional.

If that is sexist, well, I guess I'm sexist. And completely okay with it.
        I just love you.

Comment

I think the politics have already been covered, but a word about nu-cyoo-leer: Webster's 11th lists both pronunciations as acceptable.

Main Entry:nu£cle£ar
          Pronunciation:*n*-kl*-*r, *ny*-, *-ky*-l*r
          The code here on the board won't accept all the little pronunciation symbols, but you get the idea. They do offer this note:

usage Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \-ky*-l*r\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president. While most common in the U.S., these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers
          I cringe every time I hear it, too, but I don't consider it "wrong." And it's obviously a conscious choice--it's not like Bush and Palin just don't know the "real" pronunciation, obviously he, at least, has had eight years to learn it. In current context I guess it's supposed to be folksy, a code word for "I'm not one of those overeducated elites," and sorry if this tends toward the conspiracy-theory-ish, but I think they also do it to piss off certain types of people. Including people like me--so while you won't ever hear me saying it, I don't get upset about it anymore because I feel like that's taking their bait.

And while I'm talking about the language of the whole thing, is anyone else surprised that "Joe Six Pack" has become an acceptable thing to call your own constituents? I don't think I would mind being called "working class" or "blue collar" because terms like that refer to the needed contribution you're making, but what does Joe Six Pack indicate? Anonymous and beer-swilling? Sounds lazy. I'd assume it was a derogatory term, except that's clearly not how it's being used.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

and remember that there are a lot of us liberals who don't think a bigger government is the be-all either. I'd love to get that Homeland Security $ back...

j.

Comment

and remember that there are a lot of us liberals who don't think a bigger government is the be-all either. I'd love to get that Homeland Security $ back...
              Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

not sure who Joe Sixpack is
                I thought this was a nod to all the hot, buff Republicans out there. And... for a second I was almost about to register Rebuplican so I could be part of that crowd if only by association

Comment

Isn't that because the war spending is not included in the budget this time out? I've heard lots of complaining about that -- "this is the deficit, but it doesn't include Iraq". The current spending there is in the billions per month, correct?

I have no issue with your post and I'm not sure I object to Homeland Security (domestic spending priorities will always be a debate) BUT I think it is misleading to say that we are running "two wars on a peace time budget". That would be "magic"! Ta-da! I wish it could be so. We haven't been the most financially sound government for the bulk of my lifetime. I think one of the big concerns about the current financial situation is that if we can't correct it and we lose our massive financial investment from other nations we will be forced to stop deficit spending. As Medicare and SS come on board in force, we are going to be making some tough choices for cuts AND facing higher taxes all the way around. Since we will still be paying the interest on all the money we have borrowed for these wars and programs in the future, I'd guess that interest payments to service that debt (to foreign governments that have invested in us) will be our number one expense. Then defense. Then.....we cut. And cut.

China can't pay our bills forever - particularly if we stop buying all their stuff and sell them "flawed" investments like mortgage backed securiites that lose them money hand over fist. :huh: I've heard China has put pressure on the U.S. to "fix this" or the investment we receive from them will be limited. Limited foreign investment in the U.S. will mean dramatic changes for us here. We haven't been supporting ourselves for most of thirty years.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                    Isn't that because the war spending is not included in the budget this time out? I've heard lots of complaining about that -- "this is the deficit, but it doesn't include Iraq". The current spending there is in the billions per month, correct?
                    $10 billion / month in Iraq is the number I've heard quoted most often. And I've heard the same as you Angie - somehow they manage NOT to include the wars in the actual budget.

Comment

Working...
                    X