Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

PBS Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBS Poll

..on Palin.

Very Quick.
    It's NOT scientific but the results so far are shocking IMO.

http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: PBS Poll

The "about" page was interesting!
    Alison

Comment

It seems to reflect the basic split in the nation - almost equally for one side or the other. I've seen a number of websites implementing the cookie thing to keep the votes unique.

I don't see what's shocking. :huh:
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I was surprised to see the even split. Generally, I think Republicans and Democrats don't dispute McCain's qualifications, but many from both parties will dispute Palin's.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

The message about votes being registered is ambiguous, and doesn't change if you vote multiple times from the same computer, and I know nobody voted from this IP before I did earlier today...and it's not giving numbers, just percentage, and it hasn't budged all day. There's also a poll-435a.html that gives *exactly* the same results. I call

I don't know if it's just shoddy programming, or intentional misleading, but I wouldn't put *any* credence in it at all.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by alison
            I was surprised to see the even split. Generally, I think Republicans and Democrats don't dispute McCain's qualifications, but many from both parties will dispute Palin's.

Absolutely.

Duh.
            Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn

Duh.

Comment

..on Palin.

Very Quick.
                It's NOT scientific but the results so far are shocking IMO.

http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html
                This is even LESS scientific, but as an FYI: there is a huge push among the evangelical fundamentalist Christian community to participate in this survey. For some reason, the survey really got them upset and they began an email campaign soliciting participation ("so that PBS can't claim that no one approves of Palin").

My MIL (an evangelical fundamentalist) sent me the email, asking that I participate.

I refused. Don't get me wrong: I think she's exactly what the ticket needed to pander to the part of the base that needed to be shored up, and I love her because she irritates the sh*t out of liberals, and I admire the fact that she is authentic and lives what she says she believes...but I would hardly call her an intellectual giant. I am tired of these folks making her out to be somthing she's not. Her pick was utilitarian, which I have no problem with, if it gets McCain in the WH. But let's not pretend that she's an Ivy League scholar.

Comment

Duh.
                  Alison -- the "duh" was directed at the idea of "why woudn't the % be split -- the country is in their ideology."

I'm so sorry if you thought I was trying to ZING you.

Yes I lean left but would have NO problem voting NO on a poll such as this if I felt they were way out of their league.
                  C'mon she's so NOT qualified. Pahleeze.
                  Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife

This is even LESS scientific, but as an FYI: there is a huge push among the evangelical fundamentalist Christian community to participate in this survey. For some reason, the survey really got them upset and they began an email campaign soliciting participation ("so that PBS can't claim that no one approves of Palin").

My MIL (an evangelical fundamentalist) sent me the email, asking that I participate.
                    Maybe it's more scientific than we think then, because the major forums for democrats also have big push efforts to get people there to vote no.
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Can't you just dump the cookie and then vote again? I just did three times....

I never read much in to these internet generated polls because they are so easy to manipulate and movements get started to stuff the ballot box (so to speak). I watched fascinated one night when a Johnny Depp fan board went ballistic on an internet poll for "Hottest Dad" in a British tabloid. They pushed the vote from 100 or so to over 10,000 in a matter of hours and gave full instructions to all about how to get around cookies. Of course, so did a Jude Law fan board.....it was very amusing to watch the two boards organize their peeps and make the numbers grow. Weird world we live in. I'd imagine that with both sides pushing the poll there will be no way to say its true result.
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Duh.
                        Alison -- the "duh" was directed at the idea of "why woudn't the % be split -- the country is in their ideology."

I'm so sorry if you thought I was trying to ZING you.

Yes I lean left but would have NO problem voting NO on a poll such as this if I felt they were way out of their league.
                        C'mon she's so NOT qualified. Pahleeze.
                        I did think the "duh" was directed at me. What I said was pretty obvious (in my view), and didn't realize that that was what others were thinking too. I'm a bit slow today.

No offense taken!

Comment

Absolutely.

Duh.
                          Ohhhh, so the "duh" was directed at me.

Good to know.
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Duh!

:>
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc