Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dead bear covered with Obama signs found at school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead bear covered with Obama signs found at school

http://news.aol.com/elections/article/d ... 5?cid=3273

Dead bear covered with Obama signs found at school
    AP
    posted: 18 HOURS 4 MINUTES AGOcomments: 42PrintShareText SizeAAA
    CULLOWHEE, N.C. -Police at Western Carolina University and wildlife officials were investigating the discovery early Monday of a dead bear cub draped with a pair of Barack Obama campaign signs.
    Leila Tvedt, associate vice chancellor for public relations, said Monday night that maintenance workers found the 75-pound bear cub shot to death in front of the school's administration building at the entrance to campus. The Obama yard signs were stapled together and placed over the bear's head, Tvedt said.
    The bear had been shot in the head, Tvedt said.
    "Western Carolina University deplores the inappropriate behavior that has led to this troubling incident," Tvedt said. "We cannot speculate on the motives of the people involved nor who those people might be. Campus police are cooperating fully with authorities to investigate this matter."
    University police called in state Wildlife Resources officials to remove the body and help in the investigation.
    Bear season is under way in western North Carolina.

I just heard this on NPR

Re: Dead bear covered with Obama signs found at school

Wow.

People are shooting at buses and covering dead bears with political signs.

This is getting just slightly out of hand.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Some of the supporters in this election have gotten completely nuts. Every single pro-McCain yard sign along a major street in the city was mutiliated (badly) on Saturday, right after the Obama rally. Very classy...

Comment

The assumption that this was done by Obama supporters is interesting, and as far as I can tell, completely unsupported by the evidence.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky
          The assumption that this was done by Obama supporters is interesting, and as far as I can tell, completely unsupported by the evidence.
          Funny I took it as an anti-Obama demonstration. Guess they didn't quite get there point across. Boy that sure was a lot of work for an confusing political statement.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
            Some of the supporters in this election have gotten completely nuts. Every single pro-McCain yard sign along a major street in the city was mutiliated (badly) on Saturday, right after the Obama rally. Very classy...

St. Louis city and classy in the same sentence, enough said Maybe they were confused with vandalism and the freedom of expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Color_Me_Sulky
              Originally posted by GrayMatterWife

St. Louis city and classy in the same sentence, enough said Maybe they were confused with vandalism and the freedom of expression.
              No kidding. Those two terms never belong in the same sentence, regardless of whose politics you're talking about.

I was walking in the Central West End when folks got off the train from downtown, following the rally. It was like an angry mob: people were shouting, hooting, screaming ugly things. They were so pissed about...I don't know--it was highly generalized and nonspecific--just Republicans, I guess. Shouting about how racist McCain is. ( Racist? You've got to be kidding. Lots of things to criticize McCain on, but that seems completely unfounded.) I wasn't at all surprised that it degenerated into vandalism.

I don't like Obama's political positions, but he doesn't seem to be about this: unbridled, unintelligent anger. (Well, unless you count his association with Wright, but it's not like Obama's adopted Wright's rhetoric inhis public campaign. While it could be argued that Obama has accepted this kind of anger as an appropriate form of expression through his 20-year-long personal religious experience, that hasn't translated to his campaign speeches.) Anyhow, I just don't get how so many people walked away from what should have been an uplifting, inspiring, empowering speech to act like that.

To be honest, it kind of makes me worry about--what if McCain were to pull it off? I think this City would riot. Seriously. People will feel deeply, profoundly disappointed and have no way to constructively vent.

Comment

My parents live in a Chicago suburb where many Obama signs have been stolen and replaced with signs that say "N_____ lover." I guess, sadly, I'm not surprised, but how disgusting is that? I'm so ready for this election to be done. I know a lot of this is the behavior of a few that really stands out the most, but it's embarrassing to me as an American.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

There is a palpable feel of "risk" involved with flying your colors here....and this is an upper middle class neighborhood. It's embarassing. In our area, the Obama supporters tend to be the younger/new-to-town/highly educated set and the McCain supporters are the townies. The intimidation comes in the form of "You aren't from around here" and "Go back where you came from". Since my kids have had trouble fitting in here anyway, I don't want to make it worse for them by putting out an Obama sign. Honestly, my 12 year old has been shocked by the responses from some of his friends. They are the ones telling him that Obama is a terrorist, an arab, a Muslim! He's idealistic and I keep having to shore him up when he stumbles in to an argument with a fellow student. Very sad to be torn between your peers and your parents.

In our paper (Cleveland), there was a description of video taken here at an Ohio McCain rally. A seven year old kid told the cameraman that "You have to wear gloves if you touch Obama". It is embarassing and hard to explain to your own children.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Hey, it could be worse - at least you guys don't live in Northern Ireland, where you get shot if your political affiliations are outed in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs
                      My parents live in a Chicago suburb where many Obama signs have been stolen and replaced with signs that say "N_____ lover." I guess, sadly, I'm not surprised, but how disgusting is that? I'm so ready for this election to be done. I know a lot of this is the behavior of a few that really stands out the most, but it's embarrassing to me as an American.

This is so similar to what many people I know have experienced out in California with the Prop. 8 vote. Prop. 8 Yes! signs being stolen, houses with Yes! signs being vandalized. I know of one instance where a family's car was spray-painted with epithets because they had a Yes! sign in their yard.

There is currently a list being supported by Daily Kos members of members of my church who have made political contributions to the Yes! campaign with an effort to deliberately harass those persons.

Some people just don't know how to be....civil. Unfortunate - and disgusting and embarrassing, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by McPants
                        Hey, it could be worse - at least you guys don't live in Northern Ireland, where you get shot if your political affiliations are outed in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time.

Good point. It could always be worse. Much worse.

Comment

Working...
                        X