Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Okay Obama people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay Obama people...

I see what you're saying, but the Dems haven't had a candidate like Obama in years! Gore (snooooooze), Kerry (ugh!). Obama is a welcome breath a fresh air.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Okay Obama people...

Originally posted by Pollyanna
    No candidate is perfect. Those of us to the right have been very honest about or misgivings of all the candidates running for the republican nomination and McCain himself once he earned the nomination. I have seen VERY VERY few on the left mention any misgivings or faults Obama has. Like I said, no candidate is perfect and upon analysis there should be some concerns if not in the man then in his policies. So what are they?
    You're asking the Obama supporters to volunteer faults of his? Well, in that case as an Obama-supporter, I'd advise you to read any recent post written by Rapunzel. she appears pretty focused on pointing out any fault he may have or anyone he's ever met may have had.

I guess it's hard for me to find reasons to dislike Obama. He's the first U.S. presidential candidate since Clinton that I am actually excited about and could see myself voting for if he ran for president in my country. I think a lot of us foreigners feel this way, it would be very hard for us to understand how Americans could vote for McCain (well, for the ones of us that don't actually see Americans as fundamentally evil people anyway). If I'm to nit-pick, I would choose to mention affirmative action as an issue I disagree with Obama on. I find it hard to support such policies in general.

Comment

In a perfect world it would be fantastic if he was some elder-statesman with eons of (successful) international experience behind him. But in our man-eating world of politics, that would probably also mean he'd been embroiled in some scandal from guilt-by-association (ala Gore/Clinton) at the very least. I'm socially liberal but a bit more fiscally conservative, but I'd much rather see my tax dollars spent helping others than blowing up a country 1/2 way across the world, and paying it's inhabitants to stop killing one another so that we can point to successes in Iraq.

I'm quite happy with my candidate - and like Alison, it's the first time I'm not saying "yeah - I know it's the lesser of two evils". I think he's intelligent and proud of it, and I trust him to choose advisors who will fill in his gaps.

Comment

I do not feel strongly about either candidate. At this point, after doing much research on both, I am still undecided. I even did one of those online quizzes where you choose which policy/view you agree with and I am in the middle. AND it is time to get ready to vote.

My IRL friends are either die hard dems or reps. DH and I have stayed away from them the past few months because we frankly cannot stand their one sided views. One of them had the gall to tell me "how can you, as an educated woman belive ____". Wow! I told her, "how can you as an educated woman only give me your candidates talking points? - I want to hear what you think and how that candidates views are better than the other in your own words!!" It was comical to hear them talk about the debates too. It just goes to show how two people can view the same thing and walk away with totally different understandings.

I believe there are pros and cons to both candidates...as there is with anything in life. From what I have read, I have come to the conclusion that objective reporting is hard to find. I would looove to hear the pro McCain/pro Obama tell me the cons of their candidate/candidate's views instead of hearing their "talking points". Thanks for giving me the idea. I think I may invite some of them to lunch tomorrow and pose this question.

FWIW - I think Obama will win. Yes, I admit that it is based on what I hear on TV read in the newspaper. BUT I still want to vote solely on who I believe will be a better leader. Not to worry, I am not sure about Nader either.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Ah, medpedspouse! I'm not alone! Actually, I think I have decided who I will vote for but haven't done it yet. Since I've considered and will probably vote for Obama, I'll answer your question Tara but I'm not sure that I "count" because I don't really consider myself an Obama supporter. I don't think he is all that. :huh: Sorry, guys. I can no longer listen to him or McCain on radio or TV because I feel like they are shouting at me or lecturing me. I know it is the campaigning style, but . I'm not McCain's friend nor am I am member of Obama's congregation.

Anyway, my concerns about Obama are primarily around his experience (foreign affairs, economy, healthcare). I know he can't know everything, so maybe this isn't fair to nit-pick, but he has made comments about taxes and the economy (dividend taxation comes to mind) and I think "huh"? Or this is one of the places were I have a different opinion, I guess. Same for health care, some comments that have made me think, "Um, does he get how insurance works?" On the other hand, back when people were talking about healthcare and not the economy, some of his ideas about expanding healthcare seemed better than HRC's.

I miss McCain 2000. Can we have a do-over on that South Carolina primary?

Comment

I'm in agreement with medpedspouse.

I have said some harsh things about Obama though, so let me say some positive things. As someone who has supported the democrats since I could vote, I do find him exciting...He appears to be down-to-earth and he is a breath of fresh air to those of us who had to truly hold our noses to vote for Kerry. At the same time, voting for him would mean I'm voting against some of my own self-interests. I have said enough things about his policies that I don't like, so I'll tell you what I do like. I like that he is talking about universal health care. I like that he wants to focus on illegal immigration and how to make things better in Mexico so that there aren't so many people swarming our borders.

I can't demonize McCain though either. I think one of the big problems that he has with his base is that he is so moderate. The republicans that I know are turned off by his lack of extremism and the fact that he broke with his party so many times. Also, my mom knows John and Cindy McCain and ...she even had dinner with them at one point. They aren't the evil politicians that they are being made out to be. I agree with Nellie though...I miss the McCain of 2000.

I wish that we had another party in this country...one that was interested in society as a whole...one that would support universal health care, education and social programs but that would also be focused on fiscal conservatism. 30% of Americans don't end up having to pay any taxes at all (social security aside) but they benefit from the tax dollars of everyone else. It should simply be a little more fair.

I could never watch my neighbor starve...but at the same time, maybe I've just been burned too many times by people I have given my money and time to who never figure out how to find that inner strength to help themselves.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Either way, Obama is not a bad candidate and I think the fact that he is not as entrenched in Washington politics could potentially serve us all well.

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think one of the big problems that he has with his base is that he is so moderate. The republicans that I know are turned off by his lack of extremism and the fact that he broke with his party so many times.
              And that is one of the reasons I've liked him.

I agree with pros about Obama that Kris listed (except the immigration issue because I haven't paid attention to what he has said on that). I like that he is an eloquent speaker when he isn't in campaign stump speech mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                And she is entitled to express those concerns. I'm not looking for "faults" of Obama, I know those. I'm looking for people to openly discuss his policies, again not the talking points (each campaign has those and they are typically far from the truth), do you think the policies are good, sound, do you have concerns about some of them, do you know the actual policies or just what the media presents, etc..
                Having given the question some more thought, I've come up with another thing I dislike about Obama - the fact that he's religious. As an atheist, I would prefer that the leader of the most influential country in the world wouldn't allow religion to guide him and his decisions. If he keeps his religious beliefs outside the oval office, I suppose that's grand, but it's something I don't particularly care for about the candidate. This isn't an "issue" per say though, it's more to do with the person than his politics.

Comment

Honestly, I used to like them both (McCain and Obama) but the number reason why I have been totally turned off by McCain is this neverending hysteria of panic exuded by his campaign but yet without a cohesive message. It really scares me because it makes me wonder at what point the dementia set in.

Obama isn't perfect. He's just a guy. But to me he seems like a very calm, steady guy whose willing to seek out people of differing opinions and differing points of view because he's interested. He may not agree with them but he will at least acknowledge that they have the right to their opinions and he will concede points when they've made a valid argument.

I disagree with him on a few minor issues but mostly he makes me excited to be a part of the solution. and that's the difference for me- I truly believe that with Obama, what you see is what you get. There's no ulterior motives, unlike Bush and apparently unlike Palin. and McCain apparently has abdicated from his own campaign.

I'm so tired of the scare tactics of the Limbaughs, the O'Reillys, and yes, the Olbermanns of the world have used to tear down the other guy. (still love Keith though)

Jenn

Comment

and PS- I will absolutely admit that Nancy Pelosi is completely unable to continue in her current position. She's ineffective and divisive. and Harry Reid is no great shakes either.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild

I strongly disagree with him about free trade. The Dems are dead wrong on this issue generally, but on the plus side, their actions on it have not generally been reflective of their campaign slogans.

I agree with Lily that pulling out of Iraq isn't realistic.

Comment

If you read the nitty gritty, Obama has only ever promised to pull combat troops. We're never getting out of there. and he's completely committed to moving the brigades from Iraq to Afghanistan so anyone who thinks he's a pansy in war is smoking crack. He's actually got us more committed to Afghanistan than we are in Iraq. Which means, yes, my husband will deploy again. Which, I'm against. He (the husband) is not. But me, yeah, not so enthused since the Taliban seem to be a whole lot meaner.

J.

Comment

Working...
                        X