Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How much did you love....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did you love....

Aretha Franklin's hat! I actually thought it lit up, but it turns out it was just studded with stones of some sort.

If you want to try it on yourself though, here's a transparent gif that I found! LOL

http://s.buzzfeed.com/raw/aretha-hat/aretha.png

I love, love, love Aretha Franklin!!!

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: How much did you love....

a little bit of trivia...while watching her preform yesterday, I was reminded of the story of what happened when she sang at the 1968 Democratic convention...apparently she forgot the words to the National Anthem... the camera panned in on the semi-bald head of a delegate,that turned around and rolled his eyes at the folks behind him...it was was my dad

The hat thing is great Kris!

Comment

I liked how Michelle Obama's dress color changed. In some light it looked gold and at other times more chartreuse. All in all, very pretty. And I know this isn't the point so please no one correct me -- but she looked so great and in that way, no one upstaged her. It was like the sentiment that no one should look better than the bride.

Comment

the Post reports that the girls coats were from J.Crew, as were Mrs. Obama's gloves and I believe her FAB shoes were Jimmy Choos.

Jenn

Comment

I loved the hat too. I told DH I want to go to the Kentucky Derby someday just so I can get a great hat!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I loved the hat.

I hope that Michelle Obama continues to be just like the rest of us (as in J Crew). I liked how simply elegent and put together she always appears.
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
              I *flipped* out over her hat. So fabulous!! I wish hats would come back. THey're so much fun.

I also loved the Obama girl's coats. They looked amazing. And Michelle's dress blew me away. That color looked stunning on her and the neckline was so elegant.

My big thumbs down was for Biden's wife. Someone should have told her to cover her knobby knees, her jacket was the wrong length and she should not have worn bright, neon red. She should have toned the color down as VP's wife.

I also really enjoyed the classical ensemble performance. It was so beautiful.

And I always love watching the military guards. They always look so sharp and perfect.
              I totally agree with you! I probably drove Davita crazy yesterday b/c I wouldn't shut up about Jill Biden's outfit. It looked like something that a woman might wear to a nice dinner or something. And her ball gown was awful, too. It did nothing for her bust.

I did not love Michelle's gown -- on camera --- but I'm thinking that it probably looked lovely in person. White is just a hard color to pull off on TV.

Comment

You just made me pee my pants. I look HAWT in my Aretha hat and technical shirt with my post swim gleam. We're AWESOME!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. sock it to me, sock it to me....

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada
                  The Smithsonian just asked her if she would donate the hat to them.
                  Oh, how cool is that? I still remember seeing the first ladies' dress collection when I was a little girl. I just loved that! That, and Dorothy's ruby slippers.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Honestly, I thought the hat was a little garish. I didn't think she needed it. She's Aretha Franklin, after all. Her voice is the female equivalent of James Earl Jones'--it's like God's. She's already bigger than life. The hat seemed to me to be unnecessary and a bit overplayed.

I understand that formal, highly developed colorful hats are a cultural thing for a certain generation of African-American women in the US. I live in St. Louis...I am very used to seeing the Sunday hats that many of the ladies who are still wearing when they stop at the grocery on the way home from church. I am just not a fan. But then, I am also not a fan when the English gentry wear those horrific things to polo matches. Or when skiiers were those really outrageous, silly super-long ski caps in bright, striped colors. Or when Wisconsin football fans wear cheesehead hats. Ok, come to think of it, maybe I just don't like hats. I don't even really like cowboy hats--and I'm from Texas!

I thought Michelle looked nice. I don't know much about fashion, so I didn't recognize any of the clothes by designer, but it all looked flattering. The Obama kids were super-cute.

I didn't notice Jill Biden. Every time I look at her now, I just think of what an idiot she was on Oprah. I have a hard time looking at anything she's wearing; I'm just poised on the edge of my seat, to see what gaffe she's about to out-gaffe her husband with.

Comment

OMG ---- Abigail we are starting to agree!!!!!!!!!
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I *really* hope Abigail meant James Earl JONES...
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky
                          I *really* hope Abigail meant James Earl JONES...
                          Oh, heavens, yes. I'm so sorry. That sounded awful. Please forgive me. It was really late when I typed that and DS has been really into MLK history lately because we watched a bunch of History Channel shows around the holiday. Since then, we've been reading books, watching shows, etc. It's his latest interest. I had it on my brain.

Total doofy goof...

(Although my son's interest in MLK really isn't an excuse, because he's equally also a huge Darth Vader fan...)

Anyhow, I'll go modify the original post.

Comment

Honestly, I thought the hat was a little garish. I didn't think she needed it. She's Aretha Franklin, after all. Her voice is the female equivalent of James Earl Jones'--it's like God's. She's already bigger than life. The hat seemed to me to be unnecessary and a bit overplayed.
                            I don't know, I love people who can be extraordinarily over-the-top. She knows the hat was a bit crazy and wore it anyway. I aspire to such random acts of diva-dom.

I shall wear red with a purple hat.

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

About the hat. . .

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/aretha-fr ... rethas_hat
                              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                              X