Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Geithner Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geithner Today

Don't really know if this belongs in Debates, but I thought I'd note for all the market junkies out there: Geithner made an extensive speech today, detailing why he believed overhaul to the financial system is necessary and how he might accomplish it. Regardless of the merits of his comments, at least they were extensive and showed he actually thought through issues (as versus the last several public comments he's made). The market at least appreciated that he seems to be realizing that a little bit of competent leadership is needed.

Maybe Obama gave him a hard kick in the pants. He must realize that his attractive looks and poetry aren't getting the job done in terms of building financial confidence. Obama's remarks as of late regarding his belief that people should be buying stocks have fallen on deaf ears. They seem to be personal endorsements of behavior, as first professional recommendations, of course, and I doubt anyone sincerely believes that Obama has any clue what he's doing on the issue of market timing. But Geithner appearing to rise to the occasion here actually has some traction. He'd be a better salesman.

Re: Geithner Today

Did anyone see the SNL opener this past weekend?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/61235/satu...pen#s-p1-st-i2
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Citi's performance doesn't hurt either.

I'll have to catch a clip of Geithner's comments. I'm glad he finally had something more substantial to say. He should be the better salesman given his position, IMO. I keep picturing him as being the only person working at the Treasury Dept -- I know this isn't true -- but it sounds like they are having some staffing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
        Citi's performance doesn't hurt either.
        You know, that's what all the talking heads are saying, too. I was surprised. I didn't think it was SUCH great news--CITI is still in a lot of trouble! But I guess any remotely sunny news in this climate is welcomed with open arms!

Comment

I think it is "any news that isn't depressing and horrible, especially about financials, is good news" and that Citi fits the bill. I don't think it is so great either but it is a nice break from the doom and gloom even if it is likely a brief break.

Comment

They also addressed mark-to-market rules in the Congress today. I'm sure any movement on that at all is appreciated since mark-to-market is killing the balance sheets at all the major banks.

So, who wants to bet that Citi was a counter party to some of the AIG credit default swaps?
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'll have to go back and find the specifics but I think someone (Dodd?) said the shorting on an uptick rule will also be re-instated.

Comment

Yep. I don't really understand the pressure that shorting has put on the market, but I know that shorting was blamed for the Bear Stern run and implicated with Lehman. They did ban it temporarily in September. I'd imagine that some banks that are in the crosshairs would feel relief if shorting was limited.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                  They also addressed mark-to-market rules in the Congress today. I'm sure any movement on that at all is appreciated since mark-to-market is killing the balance sheets at all the major banks.

So, who wants to bet that Citi was a counter party to some of the AIG credit default swaps?
                  Man, I have heard people joking about how the same things that got us into the recession are going to get us out, because of all the litigation work that is coming down the pike! Attorneys, paralegals, and restaurant delivery bikers are going to be in high demand...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                    They did ban it temporarily in September.
                    And remember what happened the day after...

Comment

The Dow went up 300 points? They banned it starting Sept. 18th.

A week later (9/28ish?) was the big drop - and the big rebound. That's when the rollercoaster started.
                      Angie

Comment

Sorry...I meant "The Day After" in capitalized terms...meaning "in the aftermath"...not literally the day after. You know, like "the day after" a bad decision (a hangover or one-night-stand or something). I have no idea what happened the actual day after it went into effect...I watch the market, but not that closely! Imprecise way of expressing myself. If I remember correctly, though, the day after it expired, the market was a hard down (people had been sitting around, trapped in positions, waiting to dump).

But I was just referring to the fact, in the aftermath, we realized it did nothing. The disallowance on short selling certain stocks was roundly considered a failure and didn't help to stabilize anything. Even Paulson commented that it was one of his biggest regrets from the entire debacle.

Or maybe that was Cox?...I can't remember. It was one of those guys. They all run together after a while. Somebody finally 'fessed up that it did nothing to prop of the financial institutions whose stock was not permitted to be shorted.

Comment

Working...
                        X