Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Politico and other online news sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politico and other online news sources

Question: What is your favorite online source for news? And what's your take on Politico?

I have been mostly hovering over on Politico. I like the format, I like the stories they highlight. I think the news is decent coverage and I've heard several of the reporters on NPR. But, I see that other news sources think Politico is crappy news coverage. I'm wondering is that because their bitter that the wayside newspaper looks dead and gone. I think Politico is mostly moderate in terms of bias. My very conservative dad thinks it's liberal, I ... don't see it. I don't like the layout of the Drudgereport nor Huffington Post, though recently I've been checking them out to see what they say. I mainly listen to NPR, hop on Politico for other coverage.

You? Btw I'm not here to slant what kind of news source, all political sides to the conversation welcome.

Great post! I'd be interested in other views on this as well. I followed Politico often during the election cycle - but it can be a bit gossipy. That's why I liked it, of course. I've used it less often now. I try to balance my coverage (unsuccessfully I'm sure) by looking at several sources. I get the NYT on my Kindle each day and follow the Wash Post and the WSJ on a web reader daily. I like Salon - but realize it is mostly opinion based with a bit o' news mixed in here and there. I've been HOOKED on Baseline Scenario (blog) for financial insight since that became a major story. The commentary and comments are all well informed. I get the Economist and the Atlantic.

I don't watch any TV news since we pulled the cable plug in this house a year back. It interests me that TV news is so different from what I see in print (or online). I subscribe to several local papers here (3!) and pay for my NYT and WSJ access because I'm not happy about the print media disappearing!
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My job can be soooo "hurry up and wait" so I'm pretty constantly looking at something online-

I get the daily newspaper (San Antonio Express-News- and it's becoming more and more sucky) and the NYTs on the weekends.

Online I like MSNBC and NPR but I find MSNBC easier to navigate. I used to go to CNNs site before but they've dumbed down their content and I find it annoying now. I also am frequently on the WashPost site, too but that's as much to keep track of local stuff as it is for their news but I love, love, love the Carlson/Cox Live blogs which I think they do once a week. (Tucker Carlson and Ana Marie Cox)

Jenn

Comment

Favs: Drudgereport, Humanevents, WSJ, NYT (political bias is insufferable, but regional interest stories are interesting and well-written), Breitbart, DallasMorningNews (esp. the religion section), FoxNews, FoxNation, Bloomberg (best for business).

OK: ABCNews, YahooNews, CNBC, CNN.

Dislikes: MSLSD (but I don't watch the TV broadcast either. The Morning Joe program can be OK, but Keith Olberman is just an idiot. He is an intellectual discredit to his cause and undermines his own politics. He reminds me of a screaming teenage girl who is just attention-grabbing, rather than particularly thoughtful. He makes Glen Beck look calm and reasonable--another histronic person whose pedestrianism makes him challenging to listen to for a long stretch).
        Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Oh my gosh Jenn you JUST MADE MY DAY. I didn't know Tucker had a blog - I LOVED TUCKER, bow tie and all. His round table talk was fantastic IMO. He seemed to actually allow political oppositional dialog without yelling, a cable impossibility, of course he's off cable now. I'm totally going to check that out!

Comment

Angie, how do you have time to read all that?

When TenE goes to 2 day/week preschool next year, I'm treating myself to a WSJ subscription. I think they have a condensed version or top stories that you can get by fax or email? I might do that. I get the local paper. I don't read it every day but do so for the same reasons Angie gave. I don't watch TV news and get most news from NPR and the internet (Reuters link and a few others on my Yahoo page).

Comment

Angie, how do you have time to read all that?
              I'm kind of a problem reader. Lately, my novel reading has suffered. I'm trying to step away from the current events and back in to fiction. I think I'd be a happier person.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

You need a news vacation.

Comment

No kidding! I'm reading The Crystal Cave series (Merlin , King Arthur stuff) out loud to my daughter and I'm remembering what an escape reading can be. It's one of my all time favorite bubble bath books. What happened to *that* me?

(Oh yeah...the Internet! That's what happened! )
                  Angie

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                    When TenE goes to 2 day/week preschool next year
                    Preschool already??? Time sure does fly!
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I know! I can hardly believe it myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X