Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Truancy? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truancy? Really?

From today's San Antonio Express-News

By John MacCormack - Express-News

MASON — Last month, fourth-grader Mikaela Crocker received yet another award for perfect attendance as well as recognition for again getting straight A's. Her second-grade sister Kylie also made the high honor roll.

But the warm academic glow didn't last long. A few weeks later, after returning from an extended Spring Break, both girls and their parents were taken to court and charged with truancy. The offense: Missing three days of school on a family vacation.

“It seems crazy to have a 7-year-old and a 9-year-old charged with a Class C misdemeanor for going to see their grandmother and grandfather for three days,” said their mother, Ashley Crocker, who said she was blindsided by the citations.

Ashley Crocker said she sent notes to both girls' teachers before taking the March vacation, talked to a school attendance officer by telephone while the girls were gone, and then sent an additional note to school after they returned.

According to state law, a school district has the discretion of filing truancy charges if a student has three unexcused absences within a four-week period. But few districts take such an extreme measure, especially for a first offense, without exhausting other remedies.

Mason, a pastoral Hill Country community about 120 miles northwest of San Antonio, has a strong German heritage, a charming, well-preserved town square and occasional backyard goats. School is taken very seriously.

The superintendent's Web page boasts that the district ranks first among 46 schools in the region with a 95 percent passing percentage. In 2007, according to state records, the district of about 600 students had 97 percent attendance and a dropout rate of less than 1 percent.

While declining to discuss the Crocker case, Superintendent Matt Underwood and Principal Pam Kruse said the district applies its zero tolerance policy toward unexcused absences equally to all. Each year, about five truancy cases are filed, they said.

Time away from class to participate in sporting events and stock shows is considered extracurricular, and is therefore excused, but family vacations are not, they said.

“If you start trying to decide whose vacation is important and whose isn't, it's a very slippery slope,” Underwood said.

One issue apparently in dispute in the Crocker case is the adequacy of the notice.

“It's a whole lot easier to take care of things beforehand than to clean up the mess afterward,” said Kruse, implying that notice was not received.

But unlike other parents here who decided not to fight truancy charges, the Crockers pleaded not guilty and hired a lawyer.

“I don't want my girls to have a criminal record at 7 and 9. But more than anything, it's a matter of principle,” said Chad Crocker, who manages a local feed lot.

Prosecuting the case will fall to County Attorney Shain Chapman, whose wife is on the school board and whose kids are in elementary school.

“I've never had to go to trial on one of these. Ninety-nine percent of them plead no contest or guilty, and the charges are ultimately dismissed,” he said of other truancy cases.

Chapman, who acknowledged taking his own kids out of school for a two-day vacation to Philadelphia last year, defended the district's strict policy.

“It's not that the district is operating as the Gestapo here. They're trying to get kids back in school and make sure they're doing well,” he said.

But some local parents with school-age children who are friends of the Crockers are not convinced the policy is fair or realistic.

“People are asking, why are we doing this? I could see it if you had a child who was notoriously not doing well and the parents were not pulling their weight. But this is crazy. It went straight to prosecution,” said Julie Gillespie, who has children in the fifth and second grades.

Two years ago, she said, she took her kids on a five-day vacation to Walt Disney World in Florida, after informing the district of her plans, and no truancy charges resulted.

Mason takes a different approach from some area school districts.

Melissa Ramos supervises a staff of 14 people who handle truancy and dropout problems for San Antonio Independent School District, an urban district of more than 50,000 students with serious attendance problems.

Last year, she said, the district filed truancy cases on about 3,000 students, but only after all other measures failed.

“We send the parents a warning notice. We make home visits. We try to have conferences at school. We look at the whole situation,” she said, noting court is the last resort.

In Comfort, a smaller, rural district similar to Mason, truancy cases are filed only on kids who are “attempting to drop out,” according to high school Principal J.D. Matthew.

“We try to use common sense. We file if a kid is trying to quit school. If the kid is still in school, we deal with it as a disciplinary infraction,” he said.

I'm sorry but that seems like complete overkill.

If I as a parent want to yank my kid out of school for a week, or two weeks, or a month- I should be allowed! (of course, not to sit home and eat bon-bons- but I can guarantee that if my husband gets a chance to work in Germany for a few weeks, we're going too)

So- opinions?

Jenn

Comment

Nutso. I hope they are embarrassed in court and have to change their policy. Prosecution should not be the first step to investigate three unexcused absences. Things do get lost travelling back and forth to school. Let's say the child drops the note from home on the bus out of a broken folder and an unzipped backpack -- and ends up in court? Silly, lazy policy.

Don't get me started on how sporting events and stock shows are automatically excused - but family visits are not. That stuff sets my hair on fire.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I am ripping my fingers from the keyboard because I completely and utterly disagree with the school's ability to intervene into the most basic of family functions and values. ITA with Angie's assessment about sports and Jenn decrying this as total BS.

I'll stop now or you all will see how radical my thinking about education has become.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

If that were the case here most doctor's families would be charged. We know a lot of the staff here who take their kids out of school for trips when they are going to conferences in warm or foreign locations - you just can't make those match up with Spring Break, etc.

That is utterly ridiculous and if those were my kids I'd fight it too.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Complete idiocy!!!!
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We have friends who moved apart from each other for the last year of residency over this exact issue. Their daughter had missed 2 days due to separate cases of strep throat, and the family had gone together to a conference in Phili, PA and she had missed another couple of days (that her mom made her write a report on for her teacher to show that it was educational). The straw that broke the camel's back...the family had planned to go to a conference in DC over the kids' spring break. The school had a strike in the fall which caused them to cancel spring break. When our friends contacted the principal, and later superintendent to explain that they were going to see museums, etc and that it would again be educational (but was also never intended as a time to take the kids out of school), the family was informed, in writing, that they would be charged with truancy.

Not only did they not go as a family to the conference, they decided that the district was ridiculous, and they didn't want their kids there anymore. Since they couldn't afford private school on a resident's salary, my friend and her two kids moved in with her mother-in-law for a year while her DH finishes training. They're living two hours apart because of this.

Where has common sense gone?
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I heard that there is a similar policy in Wichita.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                  Where has common sense gone?
                  Unfortunately most public schools do not operate under a theory of common sense. They more and more feel like they know what is best for your child, and we the parents are just the people that get our children to school and donate money to fundraisers. I have had administration officials actually admit this in meetings.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Stupid. I agree with all posted sofar. And jenn, I 1000% agree with you. If my dh has to travel overseas and we have opportunity to go...the school can suck it. The educational experince of traveling to Europe, asia, Africa, Australia, the middle east, etc....far exceeds sittng in the classroom. If I can show my kids pyramids, tombs, the great wall of china, big ben, the mona lisa, or the barrier reef in PERSON I will. Why pictures in a book?

I have a wonderful dear friend in Utah. She has 5 children....she was late getting them to school. She was threatened with legal action if it happened again...
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

First thought, this is totally stoopid. What a total waste of time.

Second thought, this is a two way street. If the schools think that what they have to offer is at a level that requires perfect attendance, then they need to step it up.
                      Last edited by cupcake; 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

That is an argument that I plan on tucking away, Nellie!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                          I'm sorry but that seems like complete overkill.

If I as a parent want to yank my kid out of school for a week, or two weeks, or a month- I should be allowed! (of course, not to sit home and eat bon-bons- but I can guarantee that if my husband gets a chance to work in Germany for a few weeks, we're going too)

So- opinions?

Jenn
                          Amen

and Amen.
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I agree that this is obviously overkill, but I'm curious if you all think that parents should have absolute discretion in pulling kids from school?

I know that in the past my mom has had students vanish for months at a time (usually extended trips to visit family around Christmas), and it's very difficult to catch them up when they return.
                            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                              I agree that this is obviously overkill, but I'm curious if you all think that parents should have absolute discretion in pulling kids from school?

I know that in the past my mom has had students vanish for months at a time (usually extended trips to visit family around Christmas), and it's very difficult to catch them up when they return.
                              This was a big problem at my last school. Our policy was that if they missed exams w/o an "approved" reason, they got an automatic 60% on their exams. Anything else that they missed was at their own discretion - so they knew ahead of time to expect no special treatment from the teachers - and that their grades would probably suffer.

I have students now who have a 10% because they are absent from my class and don't make up their work. And I just don't care because they know the rules. It's the parent/student's decision to make.
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X