Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Voucher Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voucher Situation

See article below.

What do you guys think about this whole DC voucher controversy? Anyone have strong thoughts (especially school teachers!)?

I saw an interview today with a mom whose daughter has really flourished at a school (Sidwell) she could afford only through the voucher program. The daughter will be able to finish and graduate this year, but her younger siblings will have to attend the DC public schools, now that the voucher program has been killed. My heart absolutely broke for the woman. She was so dignified and determined, but she looked as though she'd been betrayed by Congress. I would have been completely devastated, if I were her. And desperate. Man, it's your KIDS, not another political issue squabble.

I understand why Congress did it: the Dems are under huge pressure from the teachers' unions. I am sort of surprised that Obama signed off on it, given the obvious appearance of condescension (his kids live in DC and, of course, go to private school--giving off the whole "I support public schools! But, of course, not for MY kids" vibe, whether it's valid or not...he may have had to send his kids there for security reasons, although I'm not 100% sure I buy into that). But, given how overwhelmingly popular the voucher program is (was) by the people it served, I just have to wonder if there is some way to offer this type of program without offending the unions? Is there some way to get them on board? Or in some other way, make this more politically paletable?

I don't know much about this, honestly. But I know that helping people choose and provide the best educational opportunities for their children is something I can get behind. Seems like a WAY better investment than paying, on the back end, for the statistically probable result of poor urban education (drug and crime issues, early pregnancy, undereducation, etc.). Just from a fiscal evaluation, it seems smart. From a humanitarian point of view, it seems like a heroic priority. Help parents get their kids out of bad schools and give them a future.

GRRRR. I just want to grab a picket sign and stand up with these protestors. Although I am a little worried, since it would be the first time I've ever agreed with Marion Barry on anything!

Protesters Blast Congress for Axing D.C. Vouchers While Sending Own Kids to Private Schools: Protesters in Washington put Congress in the line of fire Wednesday for voting to end school vouchers in D.C. -- while nearly four out of 10 members of Congress send their own children to private schools.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Supporters of a celebrated school voucher program in Washington rallied near the mayor's office Wednesday to save the scholarships from being slashed by Congress -- nearly 40 percent of whose members send their own children to private schools.

An estimated 1,000 parents, children and community leaders attended the afternoon protest in Washington's Freedom Plaza, where they called on D.C. politicians to help preserve a federal school choice program that currently assists more than 1,700 students with scholarships worth up to $7,500.

"Several years ago many of us in this good city worked very hard to get a program going with the federal government so that children could go to the schools of their choice. This program has worked," said Kevin Chavous, a former D.C. councilman, but "right now some folks in Congress want to end this program."

The D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program is slated to end next year because of a provision slipped into Congress' $410 billion omnibus spending bill by Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., whose children attend private school.

The amendment has angered parents who say the vouchers have raised performance and rescued students from one of the country's worst public school systems.

"I saw dramatic change. The change is not even comparable to what a parent could do alone," said Ingrid Campbell, a single mother of three who has two daughters in the opportunity program.

"I'm going to have to get a part-time job" when the funds are cut off, she told FOX News Wednesday morning before the rally. "I'll do anything, anything in my power and my will to keep my two little girls in their schools."

Rally organizers blasted members of Congress for opposing vouchers but choosing private school for their own families, a choice they say is denied the poorest residents of Washington.

"Your tax dollars also go to pay the salaries of Congress, 40 percent of whom send their kids to private schools," said Joe Robert, a board member of D.C. Children First, a pro-voucher organization.

"Right now we have choices around America but we only have it for people who have some money. We don't have it for people who are struggling."

Thirty-six percent of U.S. representatives and 44 percent of the senators with school-age children have sent their kids to private schools, according to a study by the Heritage Foundation.

Just 11 percent of American schoolchildren attend private schools, according to the study.

The rally, which was held just blocks from the White House, ratcheted up pressure on the Obama administration to address the axing of the program, which would remove two black scholarship students from Sidwell Friends, the private academy that President Obama's daughters attend.

Some parents wondered how Obama would explain the absence of Sarah and James Parker from Sidwell Friends next year.

"I wonder how he feels when his daughter says, 'Hey daddy, my best friend is not coming back next year.' How would that feel?" said Campbell, whose young daughter has pledged to work after school to help pay her own tuition at Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School. "Maybe he can feel what we parents are feeling right now."

Parents with children in the program have been enthusiastic supporters of the vouchers, but a government review released in March offered a less sanguine view of the scholarships.

The program improved reading but not math scores, and while parents were pleased with the increased safety at private schools, students did not report much of a change. The study included both students who used the scholarship and some who were only offered the funds.

The rally was attended and addressed by prominent D.C. politicians, including former mayor Anthony Williams, who credited his success to an excellent education, and former mayor Marion Barry, who said he was a strong supporter of choice.

"We've got to tell Congress to fund this program and not let local people down," said Barry, who currently sits on the city council.

Barry and others pledged to push to rescue the program before it ends this year.

"We're here today to express our full support for the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program. We want the city council, the mayor, we want members of Congress, we want all of the decision makers to know that our kids come first," said Benjamin Chavis, co-chairman of the Hip Hop Summit Action Network.
    Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM.

The problem is that DC doesn't get to make it's own decisions. EVER. Some member of Congress decided that they wanted to pack heat in the city (whose own citizens had outlawed weapons except for the police and the military) so kablooey- there goes that. Some members of Congress decide to save money on education in the city- blamo, get rid of vouchers.

DC is a microcosm of what is wrong with public schools- the rich white kid schools are fine. The poor black kid schools are awful. and since it's a majority minority town, most schools suck. (There is a horrible legacy of institutional racism in DC)

and until DC gets real representation in Congress, they're never going to control their finances. The whole system is so bizarre that I can't even begin to discuss the alternative universe that is living in a city that until not too long ago wasn't even allowed to vote for President.

I don't think this will stick. It hits too close to home for people who need to get re-elected. Since the Omnibus already passed it'll take another piece of legislation to reenact the voucher program. The new DC superintendent is kicking ass and taking names but she can't repair the schools between now and the next school year.

I have no doubt that this will quietly go away during the summer session.

Jenn

Jenn

Comment

I've heard that the superintendent is really fierce and a good advocate. She was featured as a "Power Player" the weekly segment on FOXNews Sunday about a year ago or so.

I think that Obama may have adjusted his position overnight. This morning, the news is reporting (well, those news outlets that are covering the story, anyway) that Obama now wants an extension of the program to those children already enrolled, so that they can graduate, but that the program be closed to any new students.

Insane. I would NEVER want to live in DC, because I sure as heck wouldn't want Congress controlling my local budget, either! At times, the whole city seems like a giant issues-platform football.

Comment

I don't understand how a DC Opportunity Scholarship could allow someone to afford Sidwell. Sidwell (like most of the private schools in the area) charges >$30,000 a year in tuition. The max you can get from the voucher is $7,500.

Most of the kids getting vouchers are going to Catholic schools. The Archdiocese of Washington has the most to lose from this move, because they get a LOT of money from the vouchers.

DCPS has convinced me that charter schools are probably a good idea. I'm not sold yet on vouchers.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
          I don't understand how a DC Opportunity Scholarship could allow someone to afford Sidwell. Sidwell (like most of the private schools in the area) charges >$30,000 a year in tuition. The max you can get from the voucher is $7,500.

Most of the kids getting vouchers are going to Catholic schools. The Archdiocese of Washington has the most to lose from this move, because they get a LOT of money from the vouchers.

DCPS has convinced me that charter schools are probably a good idea. I'm not sold yet on vouchers.
          I got the impression that it was a combination of things: they could afford to go because of partial private scholarships, qualifications for tuition reduction, and this $7500 voucher.

I don't hold anything against the diocese, if it's anything like the diocese here in STL. Schooling is a major mission of the Church here, and they do it at a loss. But they provide some great educational opportunities to kids of all faiths who otherwise would not have options.

We don't have vouchers here, but the City Public Schools here have a charter school program here which is wildly popular, as well as certain magnet schools. But the lottery to get into thoses place is ridiculous.

I have some friends who don't like vouchers because they allow parents to choose to use them toward education at a religious institution, and they cry "state religion!" Personally, I don't have a problem with sending tax dollars to religious institutions via vouchers, provided that the voucher system does not favor one religion over another, or prefer religious education over secular education. (I don't see a Constitutional conflict: the state must provide freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.)

Anyhow, want REAL irony? My son got into a STL City Public School magnet school. Why? I was told flat out: because he's white!! That's right--in a school system with 83% African American student population and an approximately equivalent poverty percentage (and a rate of 33% of the population experiencing homelessness at some point during the school year), my son was pretty much guaranteed a spot in his first-choice magnet school. Never mind the fact that he has advantages that the vast majority of other students don't have: two parents with post-college degrees; home life with both parents present; financially stable, etc., etc. But, the school district was clear: they just can't attract enough white students and so incentivize their attendance by giving them a disproportionate percentage of the preferred schools.

It's INSANE. The beneficiaries of the charter and magnet schools aren't the student population most in need of options other than their decaying local schools.

For reasons too long to go into here, we ultimately decided not to send him to the magnet school, although it was a very tough call. But, once we made the decision, I called the school district right away, to let them know, so that they could contact whomever was next on the wait list. I figured, let's tell the student on the wait list as soon as possible, right? What great news! The administrator who I talked to was totally confused about why I called. She said, "Oh, we would have figured it out when your son didn't show up." I said, "Well, I'm just trying to act in good faith, so the person who will take his spot can know as soon as possible." The response, "Oh, well, I don't know if we'll contact them. We're busy. If they call us to check on their status, then we might be able to tell them." I offered to call the kid's parent myself, to tip them off. Of course, they couldn't release the waited listed kid's name.

I was heart-broken. I never should have applied. Some student who should have gotten DS's spot may never have gotten it, because of this. I felt like we stole something.
          Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
            The beneficiaries of the charter and magnet schools aren't the student population most in need of options other than their decaying local schools.
            But that's true of vouchers, too. In ALL efforts to fix schools, the kids who are going to benefit are the kids whose parents make an effort to get them benefits. The kids whose parents proactively seek to get them into a charter or a magnet. The kids whose parents get them admitted to a private school and get the application in for a voucher and scholarship and everything else.

And those kids were probably the ones who would have done ok in the local school too.

"School choice" doesn't fix bad schools. It fixes the education of the kids whose parents care. We need to fix the bad schools.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

. . . We need to fix the bad schools.
              Or bad parents! Just kidding...

Comment

"School choice" doesn't fix bad schools. It fixes the education of the kids whose parents care. We need to fix the bad schools.
                This is basically what I believe as well.

Bad schools need to be fixed because children born to parents who won't use the system or can't use the system get LESS of an education -- an education well below the national average (which is too low IMO but that's a topic for another time.).

We have what is called open enrollment in the city where I currently live.

Basically, if you are outside a zoned area for a certain school you merely fill out the paperwork and get a spot. Subsequent siblings will also get spots. The catch is you need to provide your own transportation. So, basically parents who can afford it OR have a parent who is home can utilize the rule. Parent's who need busses have to go where their zoned school is.

Lately certain schools are at capacity and these requests are being denied for next year for the first time in a decade. That means private school or deal with the public school where you are zoned. I know some parents who are considering moving for this reason.

The school system here feels incredibly Darwinian to me. The rules benefit the "haves" not the "have nots." With that being said, as a parent who wants the best education possible, I took full advantage of the system and I feel only slightly guilt.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                  Or bad parents! Just kidding...
                  No, it's totally true! Just that fixing bad parents is a whole lot harder.

Also, Flynn, DC functionally has open enrollment (mandated by NCLB for failing schools, and all the schools are failing), and the transportation problem doesn't really exist, because DC doesn't bus anybody. Schoolkids can get public transit passes. Still doesn't get all the parents to choose the better schools.
                  Last edited by oceanchild; 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

No, it's totally true! Just that fixing bad parents is a whole lot harder.

Also, Flynn, DC functionally has open enrollment (mandated by NCLB for failing schools, and all the schools are failing), and the transportation problem doesn't really exist, because DC doesn't bus anybody. Schoolkids can get public transit passes. Still doesn't get all the parents to choose the better schools.

OMG -- so parents STILL don't fill out the paperwork??? That's just - - WRONG.
                    Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Well, let's not forget that DC has a whole subculture of functionally illiterate people (like most large cities, I'd suspect) who mostly likely don't even see the point of sending their kids elsewhere.

and there really aren't that many school that are worth sending kids to! Our plan, had we stayed was to stay in the public school system until 6th grade and then send him to private school.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                        Well, let's not forget that DC has a whole subculture of functionally illiterate people (like most large cities, I'd suspect) who mostly likely don't even see the point of sending their kids elsewhere.

and there really aren't that many school that are worth sending kids to! Our plan, had we stayed was to stay in the public school system until 6th grade and then send him to private school.

Jenn
                        Okay. Thanks. That helps me put things into perspective.
                        Flynn

Comment

Working...
                        X