Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

ABC is now OBC, apparently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC is now OBC, apparently...

See below. No wonder why people watch FOXNews. It's not that FOXNews is so great. It's just that it isn't...a walking erection for the Administration (sorry about the graphic). This whole thing would be comical if it weren't for a much bigger problem--one that is far bigger than just the exposure of the obsessive man-crush the media has on The Holy One. The true depth of sadness here is that, eventually, it will backfire. Maybe not against Obama, but one day, a demogogue (who is good for no one) is going to come along who says, "Don't trust the media! They are in bed with the System! Trust me!" And people will believe him, because they know that it is true.

The whole thing is creepy. It reminds me of a school girl who is infatuated with the high school quarterback, and will do/say/commit anything to get him to smile at her.

ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE
    Tue Jun 16 2009 08:45:10 ET

On the night of June 24, the media and government become one, when ABC turns its programming over to President Obama and White House officials to push government run health care -- a move that has ignited an ethical firestorm!

Highlights on the agenda:

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

The network plans a primetime special -- 'Prescription for America' -- originating from the East Room, exclude opposing voices on the debate.

Republican's response, FWIW:

Late Monday night, Republican National Committee Chief of Staff Ken McKay fired off a complaint to the head of ABCNEWS:

Dear Mr. Westin:

As the national debate on health care reform intensifies, I am deeply concerned and disappointed with ABC's astonishing decision to exclude opposing voices on this critical issue on June 24, 2009. Next Wednesday, ABC News will air a primetime health care reform “town hall” at the White House with President Barack Obama. In addition, according to an ABC News report, GOOD MORNING AMERICA, WORLD NEWS, NIGHTLINE and ABC’s web news “will all feature special programming on the president’s health care agenda.” This does not include the promotion, over the next 9 days, the president’s health care agenda will receive on ABC News programming.

Today, the Republican National Committee requested an opportunity to add our Party's views to those of the President's to ensure that all sides of the health care reform debate are presented. Our request was rejected. I believe that the President should have the ability to speak directly to the America people. However, I find it outrageous that ABC would prohibit our Party's opposing thoughts and ideas from this national debate, which affects millions of ABC viewers.

In the absence of opposition, I am concerned this event will become a glorified infomercial to promote the Democrat agenda. If that is the case, this primetime infomercial should be paid for out of the DNC coffers. President Obama does not hold a monopoly on health care reform ideas or on free airtime. The President has stated time and time again that he wants a bipartisan debate. Therefore, the Republican Party should be included in this primetime event, or the DNC should pay for your airtime.

Respectfully,
    Ken McKay
    Republican National Committee
    Chief of Staff
    Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 06-16-2009, 09:07 AM. Reason: Type-os...and there are probably a lot more still!

Woaaaaahhhh... I wouldn't have thought that a network would actually decide to be an open propaganda machine for an administration. I mean, everyone has their suspicions about various channels being in bed with various administrations. But this? This crosses a HUGE line. Wow. Any and all credibility ABC once had is about to be blown out the door. And, I find that sad.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

In retrospect, maybe the Obama administration is REALLY wanting the Fairness Doctrine to come back and needs a truly outrageous example to try to push it through??? Just trying to give somebody some sort of benefit of doubt.

Because, that's really, really, really outrageous. And, a good reason why there needs to be separation of media and state.

Comment

Holy cow, it's getting even more scary folks...

And for those of you who have no issue with this try to consider how you would feel about this tactic coming out of the Bush White House. It is wrong on so many levels for ANY administration.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
          It is wrong on so many levels for ANY administration.
          That's just what I was thinking! I would have been equally ticked off it this had happened under Bush. What are they thinking? It's glamorized endorsement of the Administration, not critical, skeptical news reporting. Why would anyone--liberal or conservative--trust that? Liberals should be equally suspicious: what about all the ways in which the Administration's plan WON'T be as left as some would like (they will have to shoot for a passable middle ground)? THAT point-of-view won't be covered any more than the objecting voices of conservatives will!

Comment

If Fox News were to have used a room of the White House to film a special about the war in Iraq and include an interview with President Bush? And declined to extend the coverage by interviewing piles of Democrats who oppose the war in Iraq? I'm not sure I would think twice about it.

But then, I'm getting the feeling that there's something just going over my head here. Like not knowing not to wear white shoes after Labor Day, I gather that this is just something that is Not Done?
            Alison

Comment

When I first saw this I thought, well how is that any different then what NBC did last week? But now I realize this is one topic specific and I have to agree, letting any administration push their agenda like that on an "impartial" news service without feedback from the other side doesn't seem right.

I'd like to see the text of the speech he gives to the AMA this week, should be interesting.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                I'd like to see the text of the speech he gives to the AMA this week, should be interesting.
                I'm really interested in the full-text of that speech, too. I just got the "bites" from CNN and FOXNews--hard to get the full flavor. If you see it, would you mind posting the link? I'll do the same, if I see it...

Comment

I found this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_215699.html

I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

The speech was yesterday, right? I also heard the sound bytes. I will try to dig up a transcript. I'm sure it is available.

Here it is:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ech-text_N.htm

And blog about AMA response:

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/06/...-obama-speech/
                    Last edited by Sheherezade; 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM. Reason: add response url
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I saw that the entire speech (filmed) was posted on the NYTimes site. I'm on my iPhone right now and can't paste the link.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                        I saw that the entire speech (filmed) was posted on the NYTimes site. I'm on my iPhone right now and can't paste the link.

Cool. I'll check it out on the site. Thanks!!

Comment

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

The network plans a primetime special -- 'Prescription for America' -- originating from the East Room, exclude opposing voices on the debate.
                          If the above quotes turn out to be accurate then this is, indeed, not something normal.

This isn't just an interview with the president followed by some banter between some anchors. They are going to broadcast their entire news program from the White House. And, rather than a simple interview with Charlie Gibson or somebody else from ABC they are doing a "special" - a program dedicated to a single topic but they are ONLY doing it from one point of view - apparently they aren't even going to pay the lip service to the idea of balancing the single topic "special" with other points of view. It's not news - it's an infomercial. And, infomercials are fine - but NOT when they are disguised as legitimate news programs. An infomercial by a supposedly legitimate news organization claiming said infomercial is a balanced examination of a single issue is little more than propaganda.

Yes, this is definitely dangerous territory. Very much so.

Comment

This kinda reminds me of when he purchased a half hour of all the networks for a half hour campaign ad - except this time he isn't paying for it!

Thank goodness that there is more than one network - hopefully they will provide other prospectives other than that of the administration.
                            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

And, I think I recall that of all the networks he paid to run the infomercial during the campaign wasn't ABC the only one to decline running it?

Comment

Working...
                              X