Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Good pick! (I think, anyhow...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good pick! (I think, anyhow...)

Obama has nominated Dr. Regina Benjamin to be U.S. Surgeon General. She is absolutely amazing. Graduated med school back in the 50s, worked primarily with indigent populations in the South, set up clinics, and has won about a jillion awards--even one from the Pope.

She definitely knows something about working with underserved communities and their health needs--has real experience. In my opinion (for whatever that's worth!), she's a much stronger pick than that Katie-Couric-in-scrubs-and-foundation Sanjay Gupta (who declined Obama's invitation).

Sounds like an improvement to me. It looks like she went to med school in the early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
      Sounds like an improvement to me. It looks like she went to med school in the early 80s.
      Oh, really? My mistake. For some reason, I thought she was a lot older than that. Thanks for the correction! (Should have Wiki-ed her first!)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
        she's a much stronger pick than that Katie-Couric-in-scrubs-and-foundation Sanjay Gupta (who declined Obama's invitation).
        Definitely agree!!

Comment

she's a much stronger pick than that Katie-Couric-in-scrubs-and-foundation Sanjay Gupta (who declined Obama's invitation).
          Way better choice!! And that is a pretty accurate description of Sanjay.
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

She does sound amazing. I love it when Abigail and I agree!!

Comment

GOOD GRIEF!! I just heard a political commentator criticize this choice for SG because she is obese (50 lbs overweight--I guess this is obese by her height).

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We elected a guy who smokes to overhaul our healthcare system. We are taking advice on sex ed in school from politicians. So what she's overweight? That doesn't make her a hypocrit--it makes her...wait, how would the President put it? Ah, yes, "empathetic."

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone in the public offices should be commenting on anyone else. Glass houses and all that. I do have to say that watching Speaker Hastert go to and from his SUV was scary because he was always red-faced and panting.

Jenn

Comment

I've read the articles that are critical about the choice because of her weight. They made me sad. Honestly, we won't accept anyone anymore unless they are perfect. Let's not look too hard at Winston Churchill or FDR. Our standards have gotten strange. I'm once again sosososososo glad that I will never be up for any public office.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Unbelievable. At least that is my first thought but, sadly, believable.

Comment

That's just so weird. I honestly would never have thought to criticize her for that.
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Ah, yes, "empathetic."
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I agree about the glass houses and all, and I think it's sad that anyone would judge her on her weight instead of her acccomplishments and qualifications. That said, with obesity being arguably the single greatest threat to public health in our nation, I find it very frustrating that physicians entrusted with the responsibility of helping people lead healthier lives face so many obstacles to establishing healthy habits themselves. Spending hours upon end in the hospital isn't exactly compatible with small, well-balanced meals. I guess the advantage is in "empathy"... ...certainly DH knows exactly how hard it is to find time to exercise. It just has a flavor of "do as I say, not as I do."

But does it matter? If your doctor advised you to quit smoking, would you process the advice differently if you knew he or she smoked? If your doctor said you need to lose weight, would his pot belly make you take him any less seriously? I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X