Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anybody watching/listening to SC Nom Hearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody watching/listening to SC Nom Hearing?

What do we think? How's she doing?

Honestly, I think she's doing really well. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end, but right now, she hasn't said anything off-the-wall. Her explanation of her "wise Latina" comment was kind of lame (essentially, "I didn't quite mean it the way it sounded; I was trying to inspire"), but--other than not commenting on it at all--what is she supposed to say? And, to be honest, her comments re: the inability of anyone to reach total impartiality is probably...correct...for anyone. Even though it is not ideal.

And, she seems to believe that when she's wearing the robe, she's bound by the law, not her preferred view of the world. I know that conservatives are very concerned about her many comments off the bench that support a race-preference view on the law. But, thus far, they haven't been able--I think--to show that her written legal judgments show that she favors the interests of minorities over the correct application of the law.

I agree with Lindsey Graham (R-SC) that I find many of her off-the-bench comments and some of her professional legal associations troubling. Because they suggest that she--personally--is quite left of center. But, thus far, I haven't seen any analysis that strongly suggests she'll be radical from the bench. And she's firmly stated that she does not follow the Legal Realism school of thought.

As I write, Lindsey is pimping her on whether abortion is addressed by the Constitution. He is trying to get her to say that the Constitution does not address the issue of abortion (which is correct--the word is not there--just as the phrase "right to privacy" is not there). She, however, is trying--diplomatically--to add that the Supreme Court has held that the Constitution indirectly addresses abortion through the implied right to privacy. But the conversation is like watching ships pass in the night. Both are right, and neither really has an illuminating point.

I give her points totally TOASTING Grassley (R-NE). That was just funny. Seriously. Who prepped Grassley? That intern should be fired.

Schumer (D-NY) was his usual insipid, insufferable self. And what about the remark by Leahy (D-VT) yesterday, at the opening, warning that, "No one will hurt this woman." How condescending was that? And, by the way, this woman could probably kick your butt on an intellectual level. I hardly thinks she needs protection from the big scary Senators.

I've been catching snippets while in and out of the car. I have heard that her record itself is pretty moderate. I think that she'll be a fine addition, really.

In a realted SC comment, I thought RBG's comments after the case of the 13 year old girl being searched for drugs were dead on- I mean life experience HAS to impact you, you can't divorce yourself from your own reality. I thought it was great because of the entire SC, ONLY RBG has actually ever been a 13 year-old girl.

Sotomayor is holding her own. The entire judiciary committee with the notable exeception of Graham have been so scripted that it's been painful. He was hilarious yesterday.

Sessions is doing nothing to endear himself to the nation, that's for sure. But I've always thought he was a bit of a boob.

Jenn

ETA: what did Grassley do?

Comment

So completely off topic but I am so completely out of touch right now that I thought "south Carolina? What's going in there?". Sigh. It's bad to have this level of mommy brain right now.
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
        ETA: what did Grassley do?
        Long story short: he was grilling her about one of her opinions, and after listenining, she looked at him and said pretty politely, "I decided that on the expiration of the statute of limitations." Basically, she told him (in lawyer-speak): "My opinion there had nothing to do with the merits of the case. It was all about whether the law had already determined that so much time had passed that the issue is no longer able to be litigated").

Graham did a good job, I thought, except I did not like how he read so many of the really negative comments some of the attorneys who've appeared before her have written about her in an anonymous ABA survey. She's mean. She lacks judicial demeanor. She picks on lawyers who's arguments she doesn't like. Well...so does Scalia on occasion. Honestly, how is she supposed to respond to that? Anonymous criticism by people who probably lost their case before her. I don't think that added anything to the analysis of what kind of justice she would be, and just served to make Lindsey look condescending. Otherwise, he did well.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
          So completely off topic but I am so completely out of touch right now that I thought "south Carolina? What's going in there?". Sigh. It's bad to have this level of mommy brain right now.
          Sorry. Total court-brain today. Preparing for docket tomorrow, drafting a memorandum opinion now, listening to the confirmation hearings. I just assume that everyone else's world also turns around the axis of the federal justice system...hahaha.

Comment

Can't stand watching any news/political stuff lately. They're all pissing me off.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

My SIL left for Afghanistan this morning at 11:00 am. I am officially not watching any news for a while until I get my emotions under control. I'm depending on all of you to let me know if something important happens.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
                My SIL left for Afghanistan this morning at 11:00 am. I am officially not watching any news for a while until I get my emotions under control. I'm depending on all of you to let me know if something important happens.
                Hang in there.

-C
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                  Hang in there.

-C
                  If anything breaks on the Afghanistan front and I hear about it, I'll post. Right now, most of the news is about: (1) the House plan to tax the living wah-zoo out of people to get nationalized health care; (2) the final day of Sotomayor's confirmation hearing; and (3) the gruesome murder of a wealthy FL couple who adopted 17 special needs kids (from all accounts thus far, these people were living saints--terribly sad for the kids).

Comment

Working...
                  X