Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I just wanted to know where the Town Hall Meeting was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, i'd have to say out of the 100 of them, he's probably the most likely to talk to you over a deep fried Snickers. I can't see Cornyn or Hutchison chill enough to mingle with the masses.

Jenn

Comment

I wonder if the weirdness about these town hall meetings is due in part to health care reform being really hard to talk about. It's such a complex issue, and emotionally loaded too. I just read that one of our congressmen recieved a death threat on account of his decision not to host a town hall meeting to discuss health care. Instead he's meeting privately with critics of the bill. I can understand why that would be the preferred approach. Maybe taking the media circus out of the equation allows for a little more listening and a little less shouting of talking points. I don't know that these issues can be reduced to bullet points suitable for CNN. If you have a televised town hall meeting, that's where they are going to end up, taken out of context, and splayed in tickers all over the screen. I guess that's politics these days, but I really wish there could be a more meaningful conversation. Honestly I thought it started off like that a few months ago, but now ... not so much.

Comment

Well, now the town hall with Sen. Claire McCaskill (MO-D)--which had been scheduled for Tuesday morning--has been cancelled because the high school where it was supposed to be held has rescinded its offer to host. The school district does not want the security risk.

Comment

Well, maybe this will force the zealots on all sides to reevaluate their positions. I'm sorry, civil discourse is what makes us Americans. I get to disagree with you guys, you guys get to disagree with me. What we don't get to do is insult each other, scare each other or threaten each other.

I have MY personal experiences and opinions and should be able to say, "yes, but" just like any other one of you.

I hate that this is what we have devolved into. I hope that this forces a change. If we can't figure out how to talk to each other again, and even to agree that while the other person has a valid point, you don't agree with it- we're screwed as a society.

I blame the Clinton/Gingrich era of baby boomer politics. No, you assholes, it really isn't about YOUR generation. The rest of us have to live here long after we've planted your arses.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
          X