Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Keeping your kids home Tuesday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large pictures of a leader just freak me out. Whether I support that leader or not, I don't want a huge picture of them looming over me like they are watching me. Its very idol worship and creepy. Just my opinion, but I see large pictures like that and I just cringe. If there is a spot for the current president that is their official picture at the school, that's one thing, but that picture is a bit overboard.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I think that's unprofessional. I wouldn't withdrawl the child immediately -- but I would politely ask the school superintendent about his policy on politics in the classroom.

I think an official portrait in a social studies class might be ok. I'm pretty sure we had that somewhere along my school years. I think Reagan was on a few walls -- but appropriately.

Funny that they put up the Obama poster by that artist. Maybe they should have gone with his other famous work - the OBEY poster.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
        I think that's unprofessional. I wouldn't withdrawl the child immediately -- but I would politely ask the school superintendent about his policy on politics in the classroom.

I think an official portrait in a social studies class might be ok. I'm pretty sure we had that somewhere along my school years. I think Reagan was on a few walls -- but appropriately.
        I totally agree - I don't find it offensive but I find it highly inappropriate - is the teacher new/young?
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

No, the teacher is a 25 year veteran. I'm think what I'm going to do is call the office for the classes which we take tomorrow and issue a "concern". I asked both a Republican neighbor who I know didn't vote for Obama and is herself a HS math teacher and DH and they both also thought it odd.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
            Is there a political party for this stance? Because that is the one I would like to join.
            ITA - One of my biggest problems with both parties is that there's no middle ground. While I agree with the Democrats on issues related to healthcare, the environment etc, I hate being labeled a liberal. I have conservative views on other things because of my Catholic upbringing.

Why does everyone have to be either Republican or Democrat? Not many people have such rigid views. When there's no party that covers middle ground, people just end up not voting and that's not good.

Having grown up with a democratic government that has conservative views when it comes to issues such as abortion, I don't see why such a party doesn't exist in the U.S., it's baffling!
            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I think that is why the Libertarian party is seeing more light: People who have conservative economic views but liberal social views were finding absolutely no common ground in either of the major parties (with Dems being liberal both socially and economically and Reps being liberal economically and conservative socially). It would be interesting to see a party that was actually conservative BOTH economically and socially (perhaps it will be a new party - the "Tea Party"?).
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                Large pictures of a leader just freak me out. Whether I support that leader or not, I don't want a huge picture of them looming over me like they are watching me. Its very idol worship and creepy. Just my opinion, but I see large pictures like that and I just cringe. If there is a spot for the current president that is their official picture at the school, that's one thing, but that picture is a bit overboard.
                I completely agree. I don't care WHO the leader is - something like that with Reagan on it, for instance, would still be kind of...worshipful...to me. Just not appropriate.

Withdraw my child over it? Well, I think it would depend on the reaction I got when I broached the subject of the giant leader poster issue with the administration.
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I meant to update this sooner. Our kids weren't given the option of watching it....this was due to it being the first day of school here, I think.

Did anyone else watch it or have any thoughts on it?

Cheri, what happened when you talked to the school about the picture?

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I like what DD's teacher did -- he had the kids come up with a goal individual to them as it related to their school work. No harm in that. She has since made something else a goal for herself in the next few months. Bad mom for blanking on it...um, that means I'm giving her ownership right?

Comment

so, cheri...what happened with A's teacher/school. or did i miss it?
                      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I think Cheri is heading out on her roadtrip this way, or in a packing frenzy or something.

Safe travels, Cheri! I'd love to see you, but your weekend already sounds completely jam packed. Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X