Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Celebrating Halloween or Fall Festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating Halloween or Fall Festival?

Well? Do the kiddos get to don their favorite Pokemon character masks and beg for candy or make fun fall-themed craft items? Discuss...

RB

Originally posted by RocketBoy View Post
    W Discuss...

RB
    I have to tell you that this part made me think of the SNL character. I could imagine you making the hand motions.

Back to the debate...sorry for the hijack.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Ok, speaking as the grown-up version of a child who was not allowed to get dressed up and go trick-or-treating, my kids are SO going to get dressed up and go trick-or-treating!! (once I have kids, that is). But I also have a major soft spot for some fall themed arts and crafts... last year I got to participate in my first ever pumpkin carving and I was way more excited about it than someone my age should be.
      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
        I have to tell you that this part made me think of the SNL character. I could imagine you making the hand motions.

Back to the debate...sorry for the hijack.

uh oh...she's on to me...

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
          Ok, speaking as the grown-up version of a child who was not allowed to get dressed up and go trick-or-treating, my kids are SO going to get dressed up and go trick-or-treating!! (once I have kids, that is). But I also have a major soft spot for some fall themed arts and crafts... last year I got to participate in my first ever pumpkin carving and I was way more excited about it than someone my age should be.
          How sad! Was it for religious reasons?

Sorry -- I'm certainly not trying to start an ACTUAL debate. I'm just curious.

My kids dress up for Halloween (although I'm not a fan of Halloween -- I think I was emotionally scarred the year my mom dressed me up as a bag of jelly beans and some older boys kept trying to pop the beans in inappropriate areas).

Comment

Oh, heck yeah - this could become a REAL debate (and, heated at that) on some message boards I've seen....

We do Halloween. The kids like to dress up, and I like to eat the candy they bring home.
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
              How sad! Was it for religious reasons?

Sorry -- I'm certainly not trying to start an ACTUAL debate. I'm just curious.
              Yep. And I think it goes without saying that I am no longer affiliated with said religion. Any barriers between me and candy corn are unacceptable .

But seriously if you want to know more about it I'll be happy to tell you in one of the private forums.
              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

We always dressed up for Halloween. I think that for the most part, it has become a secular, fun holiday, rather than one that honors pagan worship.

My mom was always really cautious about trick or treating, though. We could only go to houses of people she knew (small town), and she followed us in the car.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
                  Yep. And I think it goes without saying that I am no longer affiliated with said religion. Any barriers between me and candy corn are unacceptable .
                  Okay - between this and your post in the Jacob / Edward thread, I'm really starting to like you.

Comment

I grew up with a lot of Jewish friends (and we still have many Jewish friends), so this seems/seemed like the one holiday we could actually celebrate together (you don't really do a lot to prep for Thanksgiving, as a kid). DH and I are all about it! Actually, the baby is coming right before Halloween, and DH has agreed to spring me from the hospital if my doc doesn't release me before Halloween.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                      I grew up with a lot of Jewish friends (and we still have many Jewish friends), so this seems/seemed like the one holiday we could actually celebrate together (you don't really do a lot to prep for Thanksgiving, as a kid). DH and I are all about it! Actually, the baby is coming right before Halloween, and DH has agreed to spring me from the hospital if my doc doesn't release me before Halloween.
                      Yeah. I was allowed to go trick or treating, becuase my parents looked at is as more of a ooooh candy time, then a holiday.(my dad benefited off of all the candy we didn't like) But I had friends of mine who were more religious (Jewish) who were not allowed to go. Also I worked at the Jewish Community Center and we did not allow costumes on Halloween. We would have to send a note reminding parents that if kids were going to school dressed up to send them an extra outfit so they could change.
                      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Yes to Halloween.

I have to admit that I don't understand the religious objections. I don't see the Halloween rituals as being a parody or competition to actual religious rituals. It's not like you need to say "HAIL CTHULU" in order to get the candy, KWIM?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_ View Post
                          Yes to Halloween.

I have to admit that I don't understand the religious objections. I don't see the Halloween rituals as being a parody or competition to actual religious rituals. It's not like you need to say "HAIL CTHULU" in order to get the candy, KWIM?

Yes, I hear you, and thats why my parents didn't object to us going and having fun. We werent taught about the holiday, just allowed to have fun... On the other hand, the Halloween/ All Hallows Eve is rooted in All Saints Day and was in some places originally pagan. Two things which are very wrong in the eyes of the Jewish faith. So some parents believe that by allowing their child to participate in the holiday, they are saying what it stands for is true.

But like I said, just explaining the other side a little. I was the Jewish kid who made her Christain friends invite her over to easter egg and christmas tree decorate because I loved arts and crafts.
                          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

We are ALL about Halloween, one of my favorite holidays! Those who have issues with Halloween fail to understand that it refers to All Hallows Eve which is the vigil for All Saints and Souls day. Very much like Mardi Gras is for Lent.
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                            X