Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dog food name brand vs. generic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog food name brand vs. generic

After all of the controversy over the past two years, what are you doing about dog food? I was standing in the pet food aisle tonight and couldn't believe how many choices there were. What are your thoughts?
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Purina, when residency is over, then Iams. That's my personal choice - and NO dyed food, that's a no no.

Comment

Our dog is really sensitive - can only two different kinds of dog food, and neither is generic or cheap. Somehow, she can manage to survive when she grabs a banana peel off the counter and eats it.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

My girl had horrible joints. She played so hard that we had to have her on food with glucosamine in it. The brand stuff, just really was better for her.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I think that if you take on the responsibility of a living being (be it cat, dog, hamster, bird), then you should buy the best quality food that you can afford. Mnid you, more money does not always equal good food.

I have done quite a bit on research on food because our first dog had horrible allergies. It was during med school - so needless to say there was not much money. Still, I bought Science Diet because more expensive meant better food - right? Noooo. First ingredient.....CORN. After multiple vet trips, pred shots, pills, etc. we finally found someone who knew about nutrition who recommended another brand of food AND lo and behold all the allergies went away.

My stance is that you should read the dog food/cat food label just as you read your own food labels.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

My hubby reads the labels on our dog's food and snacks more carefully than the kids' food. She only eats lamb & rice food. Purina One or the Costco version of it. Her doggie treats are an ongoing battle -- I've learned to just call him before I buy to get it approved. He's actually returned or thrown away treats before. Something about them being "candy bars for dogs" as he threw the box in the trash.
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
              My hubby reads the labels on our dog's food and snacks more carefully than the kids' food. She only eats lamb & rice food. Purina One or the Costco version of it. Her doggie treats are an ongoing battle -- I've learned to just call him before I buy to get it approved. He's actually returned or thrown away treats before. Something about them being "candy bars for dogs" as he threw the box in the trash.
              When the whole food debacle occurred, the nutritionist said that the food we were feeding was just like like feeding your kids McDonalds everyday. If I had asked about treats, he probably would have said the same.

Comment

I've been a bit overly interested in dog food since the mid-90s. Because of this interest, like medpedspouse I'm a label-reader, and unfortunately I don't like what I see on any of the grocery store brands. I have a handful of grain-free boutique brands I'll consider for my dog, but for the most part, I prefer to prepare her food at home.
                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                  I've been a bit overly interested in dog food since the mid-90s. Because of this interest, like medpedspouse I'm a label-reader, and unfortunately I don't like what I see on any of the grocery store brands. I have a handful of grain-free boutique brands I'll consider for my dog, but for the most part, I prefer to prepare her food at home.
                  I'm curious- what exactly do you prepare for your dog? As a I kid, I remember by grandparents buying liver and other meats from the meat section of the grocery store to feed their dogs. They loved their dogs. I don't really know how healthy of a diet that is for a dog, but their dogs ate that stuff up.
                  Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Going on the premise that Canis lupus familiaris is a species that is biologically designed to eat prey, and in fact thrives on the kind of hooved ungulates that require a pack effort to bring down (but can survive on a wide variety of foodstuffs, carrion, and refuse) I've chosen a prey model style of feeding. Approximating the kind of carcass a canid does best on with lots of meat on the bone and some organs. No grains, not intentionally, but some scraps from our omnivorous diet.
                    Alison

Comment

Spotty Dog - have you seen "the honest kitchen food"? www.thehonestkitchen.com

We have only been using it for a month and have been impressed so far. It is kind of nice to have when you do not have time to prepare food at home.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat

Thse days al of the pets live and thrive on Wellness brand.
                        Our doggies LOVE Wellness.

I barely have time to cook for the family let alone the dogs.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                          Spotty Dog - have you seen "the honest kitchen food"? www.thehonestkitchen.com

We have only been using it for a month and have been impressed so far. It is kind of nice to have when you do not have time to prepare food at home.
                          Yeah, I saw that at my new pet food store. I've been meaning to grab a sample, for the cats too.
                          Alison

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                            Sorry for the poor typing earlier. I had eaten a Quorn filet on a bun and got crums under my keyboard. *burp*
                            Mmmm, mycoprotein.
                            Alison

Comment

Working...
                            X