Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

I'm sitting at an airport waiting to board, so I'm going to go ahead and post this. This involves politics, but I think it can be debated outside of political beliefs.

If you haven't heard the news, Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. While I certainly think he has done a pretty good job diplomatically, I think this is ridiculous. He hasn't really done anything yet! Other Science-based Nobel Prizes wait years before they award someone who made a significant contribution because they want to make sure whatever they contributed actually made an impact.

The prize isn't supposed to be a popularity contest.

Maybe he should win it--but not for 10 or 15 years.

But that is just my opinion--do you think awarding him a Peace Prize is premature?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I think it's more reflective of the tremendous amount of hope that people are placing in him. It could be a lot of pressure, and I think it's odd that they would give it during his first term of presidency. I almost wonder if the international community isn't somehow how...strongly encouraging...his diplomacy and putting him on the spot in a passive kind of way. I'm curious how he really feels about it, and how it will affect his decisions.
    -Ladybug

Comment

Entirely premature. As much as we Europeans love Obama, you would have thought that they would at least have given the guy a chance to actually do something substantial on the international stage before they awarded him the prize. I really don't want to think that all it takes to get the peace prize is to be a U.S. president who refrains from starting a new war for roughly 9 months.

Reading a few European newspaper columnists' reactions, the criticism of the jury is scathing to say the least.

Comment

This makes ZERO sense. The best analysis I heard was from CNN. John King suggested that he was awarded it not for what he has done, but for what he intends to do. So, it's not about whether you've actually accomplished anything, but whether or not you say the right things and appear the right way. Come to think of it, maybe it does make sense that he won this. It's how he won the election.

Too bad. The award started out as a nobel (no pun intended) effort. It's now used as a dig at George Bush and a political statement. What a joke.

But what else could we expect from a group that award the Peace Prize to Yassir Arafat.

Comment

Actually, according to the awarding committee, it was awarded to the president “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.” Not for future expectations.

I find it heartbreaking is that he is subject to such unrelenting attack that he can’t even win the Nobel Peace Prize without being criticized. Come on. So sadly maybe it’s not premature: How can we hope that he’ll accomplish anything more than he already has when he is undermined and de-legitimized by people in his own country at every turn?

Comment

My initial response was actually "Wow. Really? I need to read the story and figure out their reasoning.", b/c I, too, feel like it's probably premature. If their reason is what Selu posted -- I guess my question is more one where I wonder if THAT is a valid reason to give the Nobel Peace Prize, rather than whether I think Obama is deserving.

And for the newbies, yes, I'm a democrat and an Obama fan. Heck - McPants is so far left he makes me look like Abigail and Rapunzel and HE finds it premature, so I don't think in this case it's as much of a left/right issue.

Comment

I just read a quick article, and now I really, really think it's too soon. He took office only 2 weeks before the nominating deadline. If that doesn't indicate that it was done more as a poke at GWB than to honor Obama for actual accomplishments, than I don't know what does.

It makes me sad, actually, b/c I do believe that the Obama administration has the opportunity to accomplish many great things. But now ANY moves forward in peace on the world stage will be tinged with "is he doing this because of" kind of talk.

The article said the White House was completely surprised.

Comment

My first thought was "there must have been slim pickins this year!"

I agree it is an odd award. If they were going to give it to him for accomplishments in office, I'd expect it years OUT of his presidency. Not sure what the message is but I think it is unfair to criticize Obama for winning it. (I don't think it was solicited!)
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My morning alarm clock is set to NPR, and this is what I woke up to today. DH rolls over, half awake, and says, "What?"

I agree that it's premature. I like Obama a lot, but I don't think he's done much on the international stage yet. Strange decision.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                    I think it's more reflective of the tremendous amount of hope that people are placing in him. It could be a lot of pressure, and I think it's odd that they would give it during his first term of presidency. I almost wonder if the international community isn't somehow how...strongly encouraging...his diplomacy and putting him on the spot in a passive kind of way. I'm curious how he really feels about it, and how it will affect his decisions.
                    I think you're right on this!

My first reaction too was, wow, he hasn't really done anything yet! But the more you think about it, this was a very clever move. First, set aside feelings on healthcare overhaul and domestic issues, which is what has decreased his popularity in his own country.
                    He is in as good a standing in the international community as he was before he was elected. Second, think of how damaged relations have been globally over the last 8 years. What this prize really means is; we're very happy that there's a U.S president willing to make these changes, the promise to do so is a huge step in itself, but now that you have this award, you have to prove yourself. You owe us.
                    How bad would it look if he failed in this regard after receiving the Nobel Peace Prize? Very, very clever indeed! I'm sure Obama is honoured but at the same time he must be terrified! The pressure is on.
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                      My first thought was "there must have been slim pickins this year!"

I agree it is an odd award. If they were going to give it to him for accomplishments in office, I'd expect it years OUT of his presidency. Not sure what the message is but I think it is unfair to criticize Obama for winning it. (I don't think it was solicited!)
                      Waking up to this news threw me for a loop. I agree with Angie. I think it is crappy if the Peace prize was used as a jab at GWB. Really, didn't anyone else do anything worthy of the Peace Prize this year? That is a little depressing (I'm guessing this isn't the reason and there are different motivations behind it but still). I think he has the potential to win it at some point but awarding it in anticipation is odd.
                      Last edited by cupcake; 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Very odd that the nominations were due just 2 weeks after he took office. Didn't realize he had done soooo much in those first two weeks. I must have been asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by trisha2486 View Post
                          Very odd that the nominations were due just 2 weeks after he took office. Didn't realize he had done soooo much in those first two weeks. I must have been asleep.
                          Amazing isn't it. This headline cracked me up: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...bel-peace-wtf/
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Too soon. No legitimate work done already for a Nobel. Can't be placed on hopes, which the truth is, it is given in part for that reason. And, this may kill the healthcare debate, as plenty of people already are mad at him, this brings more unnecessary fuel. That is really too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                              Amazing isn't it. This headline cracked me up: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...bel-peace-wtf/
                              The comments below that article are hilarious!!
                              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                              X