Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kennedy's Senate Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy's Senate Seat

I'm putting this in debates because I know this group

HOLY CRAP! How did a Republican win in Massachusetts?

I saw a story on the news tonight and Obama's approval ratings are dropping like a lead balloon. The consensus is that he's spending so much time on health care no one thinks he's doing anything else.

What is going to happen to the health care bill now?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post

What is going to happen to the health care bill now?
    Please dear Lord, let it die..
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

WOW this will put the reigns on the health care bill!! When was the last time Mass had a GOP in the seat?
      Brandi
      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
        Ditto! Way to go Massachusetts!
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yikes--I imagine this didn't help. No matter what your views are on the issue, she didn't handle it very well. And I'm sure it PO'ed some Catholics...not a good group to go against in Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-ZeLSZPc8
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

A Republican isn't totally unbelievable...after all Mitt Romney was their Governor.

Comment

To quote Scott Brown:

"It's not the Kennedy seat. It's not the Democratic seat. It's the people of Massachusetts seat." DAMN STRAIGHT.

If you need a bigger referendum on healthcare reform, I don't know what it would be. When communist Massachusetts hates the bills this bad, you're in trouble.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                Yeah, even liberals don't like being taxed to death. Funny, when it's THEIR money...

From your lips to God's ear.

Leading Dems swear that they are going to continue their efforts to jam this unpopular mess down our throats. In the Senate, unless they pick off enough Reps to get 60 votes (and also does not lose any of the now-freaked-out moderate Dems) for the compromise version they've been working on, they could always try to break up the bill into a jillion pieces and try to pass it piecemeal, through the reconciliation process (the "nuclear option," as they keep calling it), which requires only a simple majority. Uh, good luck with that. If the Senators would be called to account for their votes on each part, standing alone, of this wreck, I can't see how that would work.

Comment

I'm still in shock!

Did the AMA approve of the most recent House Bill? I don't understand that?
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post

"It's not the Kennedy seat. It's not the Democratic seat. It's the people of Massachusetts seat."
                    I wholeheartedly agree with this, and shame on Coakley for thinking otherwise.

Comment

To quote Scott Brown:

"It's not the Kennedy seat. It's not the Democratic seat. It's the people of Massachusetts seat." DAMN STRAIGHT.

If you need a bigger referendum on healthcare reform, I don't know what it would be. When communist Massachusetts hates the bills this bad, you're in trouble.
                      Agree on all fronts. Some of the liberal dems are already out pushing for a Kennedy to run next time around. It baffles the mind, it really does!

My aunt lives in worcester and in her eyes this was a referendum on the health care issue. Most people who voted for Obama, I believe where hoping for there to be a public health option for people below a certain income (or not) that could be an alternative to the for-profit insurance industry.

I can't imagine a medicare-for-all policy that was also discussed (particularly considering that medicare just told pretty much all docs to get bent) and something has to be done to help those who are uninsured/underinsured who are american citizens are who work....but...I think Obama's plan got off course.

My opinion though.

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

To quote Scott Brown:

No kidding! I have heard today that she was not a great candidate (people arguing that was the issue) but I still think the vote outcome makes a broader statement. Hopefully any votes will happen after he is seated, that only seems fair.
                        Last edited by cupcake; 01-20-2010, 07:06 PM.

Comment

My husband just mentioned to me that he's heard a lot of interviews with people in MA that said they don't want the Fed healthcare bill because they already HAVE a program in MA. Since they pay for it there, why should they also pay for a federal program? I'd forgotten that bit of the puzzle. I'd probably be put off paying more taxes at the federal level for health care when I already paid in to a mandatory state program even if I was in favor of health care.

At least it's an interesting news cycle. Somehow I missed that the Rep candidate posed nude in Cosmo. Of course, today, the radio news finally informed me. I guess nude photos don't do as well in radio news.
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie - that is what I'm hearing a lot today. MA residents have a great health plan and don't want to lost it if the fed one goes through. Maybe that should tell the politicians something, maybe we should be using the MA one as a model.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I was talking to our TX state Representative tonight (OK, he's really known in the 'hood as "Bella and Marcos' Dad") and he said that YES, it does mean that National incumbents of all parties need to be watching what is going on, but also that truly in this case it's more about the local politics.

The scenario that Angie mentioned is exactly why my friend in Mass. voted for Brown. They have had health insurance overhaul- under Romney- and it worked.

On a national basis, I HOPE for the love of all that Pelosi and Reid get their walking papers because without a doubt, they are the two WORST leaders we Dems could have had. They play politics when they should have worked with the GOP and they cave when they should have stood their ground. They suck.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X