Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Health Care Summit discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure that this really bothered me at all. A lot of people refer to President Obama as Obama....we tended to refer to candidate Clinton as Hillary...I think that a lot of more casual language and greetings have become more acceptable? This might just be a case of making a mountain out of a molehill. LOL
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

What would be the response if we just started referring to the President as "Barrack" or even "Barry", though? It has always been a sign of respect for the office to refer to senators, representatives, judges, and the president and vice president by either their titles or (at the very least) the more formal "Mr." and Mrs./Miss".

Would it really not cause too much ruffling of feathers if I just started writing "Barrack" instead of "The President" or "Obama"? Even though I didn't vote for the guy I feel very uncomfortable with that level of disrespect. And, I'm surprised that the President (of all people) would show such disrespect for the members of the legislature.

The theory according to the article I cited was that he (Obama) was attempting to place the members of Congress on a lower level than himself by calling them by their first names (as if they were in kindergarten) while they referred to him respectfully as "Mr. President".

I think it's kind of a big deal in that it diminishes these offices in the eyes of the public and other officials.

I seem to recall discussions we've all had over using the terms "ma'am" and "sir" when being addressed by children (while we call these same children by their first names). It is a form of paternalism that we expect in a respectful society. But, it is a sign of being on completely different levels (adult vs. child). In the arena of presidential politics things like this are not done by chance. He was definitely doing this on purpose. And, I found it to be wildly inappropriate.
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I'm not saying that I agree with the idea of referring to them with their first names...but was thinking of the exact conversation that we had about mr/mrs and maam/sir etc. Even though I cringe when my children's friends continue to call me Kris (or Thomas' mom Lenibobeni.... ) it seems like as a culture it has become acceptable. Again, I don't embrace it, but that's why I think it wasn't the big deal that it's being made out to be. I guess that's all I was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
          (or Thomas' mom Lenibobeni.... ).
          <snicker, snicker!> LOL

Comment

Sorry I haven't piped up (if anyone cares I was missing from this and the other health care reform discussions).

I just can't stand talking about it anymore. ALL I HEAR ABOUT EVERY.DARNED.NIGHT from DH is about how horrible socialized medicine is. As some of you know, he's currently on a rotation in a European country with socialized medicine system. He loves the people he works with, but...my word...he's so burned out and unimpressed with the system. And he is not a whiner. I've never seen him like this, honestly. Apparently, the whole thing is making his medical school experience at one of the country's largest public US hospitals look positively inspiring. He's so fed-up. And he's been there two-and-a-half months. I couldn't imagine being in the system (a a doc or a patient) permanently, with no escape.

I just can't bear to discuss this topic right now. I feel like it's hijacked my husband. Is it really necessary to discussl this, each time we Skype?!?!

Comment

Abigail...HCR aside...I'm sorry you are struggling...and you HAVE been missed. Get out of the debate forums, go to the Call Room and catch us up, dahling!

Kris

Comment

Working...
              X