Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What jerks. And what was the NYT thinking, running this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What jerks. And what was the NYT thinking, running this?

What truly horrible, selfish people. Did anyone see this in the NYTmes? I read it. Unbelievable. There is nothing "noble" about sharing how your own weakness and pathetic lack of a moral compass lead to the demise of two marriages. Why is anyone celebrating this?

It is the same shallow, self-centered rationalizing that leads people to say things like: "I need this other person to be happy. And being happy will make me a better person. And being a better person will make me a better parent. My children need the best parent I can be. Ultimately, they will benefit and understand."

No, the children never understand. What happens is, the children grow up to be just like you and to look for mates just like you.

Groom regrets scandalous NYT wedding feature
    By Joe Pompeo

Carol Anne Riddell, the former TV reporter and one-half of the newlyweds who have been widely criticized for participating in a Sunday New York Times wedding feature that detailed how the couple had broken up their previous marriages in order to be together, said she regrets nothing. Riddell told Forbes on Tuesday: "We did this because we just wanted one honest account of how this happened for our sakes and for our kids' sakes. ... There was nothing in the story we were ashamed of."
    But now it seems like her groom, advertising executive John Partilla, has some misgivings -- about agreeing to let the Times profile him, that is.
    "I think if we had had an indication afterwards of the nerve it would have struck," he told Page Six, "we obviously would not have shared our life in any way publicly."
    As The Cutline's sibling blog, The Lookout, said on Monday, the Times' Vows column is "typically a place where the spawn of diplomats and Wall Street titans share cutesy tales of how Cupid's arrow brought them together, while making sure to drop in a casual mention of the elite schools attended by the couple."
    In other words, it is typically not a place where you find anecdotes about beer spilling into laps in Irish pubs as a married man and woman awkwardly confront the mutual feelings of love that will ultimately bring about divorce proceedings for each of them. But that was indeed the saga of Riddell and Partilla's union. (And yes, they both have kids.) Here's how the Vows write-up read, in part:
    "'The part that's hard for people to believe is we didn't have an affair,' Ms. Riddell said. 'I didn't want to sneak around and sleep with him on the side. I wanted to get up in the morning and read the paper with him.'
    "With that goal in mind, they told their spouses. 'I did a terrible thing as honorably as I could,' said Mr. Partilla, who moved out of his home, reluctantly leaving his three children. But he returned only days later. Then he boomeranged back and forth for six months."
    The feature prompted outrage in the blogosphere and in the Vows story's comments section (which has since shut down amid the controversy). But when contacted by Forbes media reporter Jeff Bercovici on Monday, Riddell stood by the decision to air their tale.
    "We are really proud of our family and proud of the way we've handled this situation over the past year," she said.
    Her ex-husband, unsurprisingly, feels differently. "People lie and cheat and steal all the time. That's a fact of life. But rarely does a national news organization give them an unverified megaphone to whitewash it," Bob Ennis told Bercovici on Tuesday. He said he wasn't "contacted or interviewed or given any opportunity to opine on any of it, including having my 7-year-old daughter's picture in the paper."
    Ennis, described by Bercovici as "a media executive who has held high-level jobs at IAC and News Corp.," continued: "The idea that they'd fact-check a style story — I don't think that's incumbent on them. But there's a difference between that and publishing a choreographed, self-serving piece of revisionist history for two people who are both members of the media industry."

Uh, yuck.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

That's awful.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Yes, I read that and felt that it was also in very bad taste. They acted like it was no big deal that two families were destroyed for their "happiness."

Comment

Somewhat related, but sort of on a tanget.... it kind of reminds me of how the author of Eat Pray Love, woke up one day and did not want to be married (although there were no children involved there).

It seems like the couple in the article wants some kind of recognition - I hate how as a society we are now praised for our "finding ourselves" even if it is a result of pure selfishness.
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I heard about this today too - RIDICULOUS!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I thought it was really stupid. It happens a lot though- one exact same scenario in the 'hood. It was horrible for everyone and the trainwreck was a nightmare to witness as well. I had the dad who was burned sobbing poolside and the mom and the new husband (and ex of her best-friend) lived on the street.

I don't know why the NYTimes would run it- I don't know how anyone would find it to be rewarding to read.

J

Comment

Why don't we entitle this what it really is: "Me, me, me, me, me, me...."
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Sounds like they are feeling really guilty and looking for approval. I can't believe the Times ran the story.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                    I hate how as a society we are now praised for our "finding ourselves" even if it is a result of pure selfishness.
                    YES! So well put.

Comment

Sometimes I read these types of articles as if they were written for The Onion. It almost feels to me as if the writer KNOWS that everyone is going to object and they are writing a satire not a news report. Maybe that's just me. I can't imagine anyone (except someone that has done the same thing themselves and are looking for validation) would produce this article with the expectation that others will approve of the behavior. I bet you dollars to donuts that the NYT knew they'd get press from doing this and that it would generate "buzz".
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                        Sometimes I read these types of articles as if they were written for The Onion. It almost feels to me as if the writer KNOWS that everyone is going to object and they are writing a satire not a news report. Maybe that's just me. I can't imagine anyone (except someone that has done the same thing themselves and are looking for validation) would produce this article with the expectation that others will approve of the behavior. I bet you dollars to donuts that the NYT knew they'd get press from doing this and that it would generate "buzz".
                        Yep. Same thought along the lines of the "watching fatties on TV grosses me out" blog post on Marie Claire.

Comment

Working...
                        X