Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Protesting at the 9 y.o. shooting victim's funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protesting at the 9 y.o. shooting victim's funeral

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_806319.html
    \
    Westboro Baptist Church, the Topeka church known for its inflammatory anti-gay protests, plans to picket the funerals of the six people gunned down in Arizona on Saturday.
    In a flier posted on its web site, the controversial church writes, "THANK GOD FOR THE SHOOTER -- 6 DEAD!" The message continues:
    God appointed this rod for your sins! God sent the shooter! This hateful nation unleashed violent veterans on the servants of God at WBC--hoping to silence our kind warning to obey God and flee the wrath to come.
    The flier claims that the shooting of both a House member and a federal judge -- the latter of whom was killed -- is god's punishment for judicial and Congressional action against the WBC. "God sent the shooter to shoot you! And He's sitting in Heaven laughing at you!" the announcement reads.
    In graphic language, it continues:
    Your federal judge is dead and your (fag-promoting, baby-killing, proud-sinner) Congresswoman fights for her life. God is avenging Himself on this rebellious house! WBC prays for your destruction--more shooters, more dead carcasses piling up, young, old, leader and commoner--all. Your doom is upon you!
    In December, Westboro Baptist Church picketed the funeral of Elizabeth Edwards. The group is known to display signs that say "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God For Dead Soldiers."
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I have no words.
    Disgusting.

Comment

Someone ought to nuke his church. Just sayin...

Unbelieveable morons. You know, the world would be better off without assclowns like that.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

This church is NUTS. I mean, really, this cult is nuts. they are all basically related. The church is really one guy and all his billions of offspring. They protest EVERYTHING. I mean if it happens and its newsworthy, they protest it. They even protested my shul over the high holy days. It was actually more amusing than anything else with their sign saying "You shall repent" since thats what we do on Yom Kippur, except I dont think thats what they meant.

Its so sad these idiots get any press. We should just ignore them like the nothings they are.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

He's just a sick hateful person. He picked Yom Kippur services at my temple the year before last. Our rabbi was thrilled to have him here instead of at yet another veteran's funeral.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Disgusting!
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I'm surprised they can't legally muzzle them. It's threatening language, isn't it? I'm not a first amendment expert though. I'd be curious to hear from our legal minds.
              -Ladybug

Comment

Apparently they are picketing her funeral because she and her family are Catholic. So stupid. I think the hypothesis that they are trying to be assaulted so they can get $$$ seems to fit.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think the current plan is for people to where angels wings and create a human barricade to try and decrease the impact of these assholes as much as possible.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                    I'm surprised they can't legally muzzle them. It's threatening language, isn't it? I'm not a first amendment expert though. I'd be curious to hear from our legal minds.
                    There was a case pending before the Supreme Court regarding this group picketing a veteran's funeral. I don't know what the court ruled but as far as I know, Phelps has prevailed every time this issue has become before a court. It's not threatening language. Inflammatory, but not threatening. The courts have pretty consistently ruled that although his speech is obnoxious, it's protected speech.

ETA: This is the Time Magazine article about the pending Supreme Court case. It was argued in October 2010. I doubt there has been a ruling. http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...024062,00.html
                    Last edited by MrsK; 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

There has not been a ruling, I was hoping it would come out today with several of their other rulings but it has not.

This guy is SATAN and the fact that he's doing all of this under the guise of a church is more then utterly disgusting. I'm glad people are starting to find ways to block them, if they have the constitutional right to be there then I'm glad people are finding a legal way to block them. Its just sad!
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

The AZ legislature was going to try to pass a law requiring a safe zone around funerals, too.
                        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Wow. He is doing such a good job of showing Christ-like love. NOT! Wolf in sheep's clothing, or more like the devil.
                          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

so sad

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                              The AZ legislature was going to try to pass a law requiring a safe zone around funerals, too.
                              This passed today, in time for tomorrow's service.
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X