Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

First Student Loans and now Mortgages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the flip side, did anyone catch the Diane Rehm show yesterday. I actually heard only part of it, but it was about the commodity price spikes. They debated in part of the show, what is poverty? Many people called in stating they were poverty stricken in American, but yet one of the guests said while poverty is a problem here - it's much worse for those living on $1 -$3 A DAY. To me, $250K will always be rich, no matter where in America you live. Quite frankly having clean water makes us unbelievabley rich. . .

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...y-price-spikes

Comment

Originally posted by Color_Me_Sulky View Post
      On the flip side, did anyone catch the Diane Rehm show yesterday. I actually heard only part of it, but it was about the commodity price spikes. They debated in part of the show, what is poverty? Many people called in stating they were poverty stricken in American, but yet one of the guests said while poverty is a problem here - it's much worse for those living on $1 -$3 A DAY. To me, $250K will always be rich, no matter where in America you live. Quite frankly having clean water makes us unbelievabley rich. . .

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...y-price-spikes
      My thoughts exactly. Almost 2 billion people live in absolute poverty throughout the world. As in no clean water for goodness sake! The fact that some of us do not believe $250,000 is rich shows just how abundant our country is.
      Last edited by Chrisada; 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post

Across the board generalizations do not help. The fact is that MOST Americans will never ever make the kind of money that we will in the medical world. Even after the expenses, none of us who have physician spouses (attendings) will ever have to worry about buying a new car, feeding and clothing our children or paying for whatever we decide we want. We may struggle and we may have to budget but if I decide to do something like send my kid to private school because the of gutted SAISD, I can do it.

(I guarantee that the people in the apartment complex around the corner won't be able to make that choice.)

Jenn
        I strongly agree with what you said! I find it really sad though, to know that there are certain people out there that will never be able to make the kind of money that Americans with Physician jobs make. My father was a physician when I was growing up, he just retired a couple years ago and my mother is a Brain Surgeon. We never had any financial problems at all but, I always understood what money meant. I am now studying to be a physician, I have less then a year left and hopefully I can be a strong independent person on my own but honestly, what your saying is really true. I had friends growing up who's parents had decent jobs but did not make enough money and their parents always struggled with paying bills, paying rent and a lot of other things. The best thing you can do to save your self, is to be educated. Theres definitely nothing better then being educated and having a great job.

Comment

claira, welcome - head on over to the introductions forum and introduce yourself.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by claira View Post
            I strongly agree with what you said! I find it really sad though, to know that there are certain people out there that will never be able to make the kind of money that Americans with Physician jobs make. My father was a physician when I was growing up, he just retired a couple years ago and my mother is a Brain Surgeon. We never had any financial problems at all but, I always understood what money meant. I am now studying to be a physician, I have less then a year left and hopefully I can be a strong independent person on my own but honestly, what your saying is really true. I had friends growing up who's parents had decent jobs but did not make enough money and their parents always struggled with paying bills, paying rent and a lot of other things. The best thing you can do to save your self, is to be educated. Theres definitely nothing better then being educated and having a great job.
            Are you a physician recruiter? (based on the link in your signature?)
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Working...
            X