Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

4 Americans Being Held by Pirates Off Coast of Somalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Americans Being Held by Pirates Off Coast of Somalia

Have you all heard about this and that now we have Naval, FBI, and other forces there trying to free them? Maybe this is me getting sick of DH's cases of people calling 9-1-1 for a ride to the hospital for loneliness, but I think as a culture, we have become dependent on getting "bailed out" by our country. These people supposedly went off course from the rest of the boats they were with, and there have been maritime warnings for months not to go into this area. These people are not transporting goods from one place to another. I don't think this is anything like the crew that was rescued a couple of years ago. I think that if they chose to take this risk, they may have to face the consequences. Perhaps when they are rescued we will learn that something went wrong and they fell off course, but I just think of all the resources we are putting toward this that could be used elsewhere (and I'm not talking from a financial perspective, but more that we now have other human lives in harms way trying to rescue them). I'm sure the naval ship and crew now shadowing them does have other things to do. At a certain point, do we, as a people, decide that if someone has gone against all warning, we are not going to go save them, and utilize those resources elsewhere?
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Totally NOT an intelligent response to your genuinely thoughtful thread, but just as an aside (kind of related): has anyone seen Wanda Sykes routine regarding the sudden appearance of the threat of pirates, just as Obama was taking office? Her shtick about Rahm Emmanuel having to go into the Oval Office and tell the President that they are having a problem with...pirates...is just hysterical.

It IS kind of unbelievable. Pirates?? Really? PIRATES? (As if he didn't have enough to deal with between the economy, the two war fronts, and his general compulsion to condescend with his self-declared teachable moments.) Now he's got pirates.

Comment

http://www.buzzfeed.com/akdobbins/nu...each-president

I wonder if they can make these folks pay after the fact. When the "runaway bride" caused an unnecessary manhunt for her, didn't they end up charging her for public services that were used?
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

That's a really interesting question. The article I read made it sound like the couple knowing took an unnecessary risk. I wouldn't be expecting anyone to rescue me in such a scenario. On the other hand, if we have the ability to save them from years of captivity in a pirate lair, it is hard to sit back and just say they got what was coming to them.

DH and I had a similar debate this summer after a local rescue effort to save someone who intentionally went kayaking over a waterfall in a wilderness area. Smaller-scale dumb decision making, but similar I think. If people want to take stupid risks, I'm glad they have that freedom, but no one seems to calculate in the actual societal costs of such decisions.

Comment

They're dead. All four and some pirates.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
            They're dead. All four and some pirates.
            Awful. Just sickening.

Comment

It is awful that they're dead but I agree with the first post that they went into that area intentionally and should have been expecting this outcome. Did they seriously expect that a pile of Bibles would stop the pirates? Also agree that those resources could have been better used elsewhere.

Comment

I'm in the middle of trying to find out if the couple from Seattle are friends of a friend.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                  It is awful that they're dead but I agree with the first post that they went into that area intentionally and should have been expecting this outcome. Did they seriously expect that a pile of Bibles would stop the pirates? Also agree that those resources could have been better used elsewhere.
                  exactly.

Comment

What Julie said.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Not friends of a friend. My friend sails with her husband very often, and they are active in the boating ad yachting community here.

They shouldn't have left their flotilla.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                      X