Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Male wrestler forfeits to female wrestler on principle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
    They all hated wrestling girls because they were afraid of losing to a girl. They never said anything about how it was weird or whatever. They were there to win wrestling meets, not to cop a feel of the female wrestlers.
    See that is my point though - there are a large majority of the guys who are going to wrestle them correctly and that is to be commended. But I was also part of the wrestling circle, as a cheerleader, in high school and was very good friends with a lot of the guys. It would only take one guy to put that girl in the wrong situation and you'd scar her for life.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My brother wrestled for a short time in high school--I'll have to ask him how he would have felt about it.

Personally, though--I think the whole "they are just afraid of losing to a girl" shouldn't be dismissed. High school boys are (for the most part) immature with a huge lack of judgment--and they can be just downright cruel when it comes to stuff like this. Sure...it shouldn't be like this, but it is.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

But the girl is choosing to wrestle the boys...I don't think any girl is going into it saying, "They're gonna treat me like one of the guys!"

*I am not in any way saying that if something horrific happens that the girl deserves it because it was her choice*
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Men are sexual creatures and they don't need an emotional connection to feel aroused ... Just physical stimulation.
          That can happen wrestling other dudes, too.

Sorry, I just don't have a problem with female wrestlers, at all. So a teen boy doesn't like losing to one. Will some of them occasionally be assholes because of it? Probably. Some may also become assholes because they have to wrestle someone of another race. That's their own problem to deal with, not the opposing wrestler. There will ALWAYS be people who get their nose out of joint over someone else "invading their turf".

Comment

Thefact that a girl is going into it means she does want to be treated like one of the guys. I guess if we can agree that no grope or use of force is off limits then go for it. If you choose wrestling, expect the gropes and fondled as a part of the sport. Both of my cousins wrestled and I know there was contact lol.

You can't be a female wrestler them who cries foul over it.
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I guess some girls are ok with that. I'm not. I'll compete with men on a different playing field.

Comment

I totally agree, Kris. By its nature, wrestling is nothing but gropes and brute strength. To agree to compete and be on the team means the wrestler is OK with both during the course of training and competing.
                Last edited by diggitydot; 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I guess I am biased too...this is what happened on the wrestling team at my high school. I'm assuming this isn't the norm of course!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4491552.html

The "sexual assault" was horrifying--my good friend's brother was on the team and witnessed it.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

And that is guy on guy - you can't ban girls just to keep them away from the crap element. Same jerks / different outfits can be found in boardrooms across the nation. Wrestling is obviously full physical contact - that wouldnt be a surprise to any girl or family that chooses to participate.

Would I want to, or want my daughter to? No. But if someone does, and they have the ability, then I think they should be allowed.

Comment

There are bigger issues at work with the perpetrators involved than simply having to compete with or against girls when their conduct rises to the level of assault and sexual assault. I'm pretty sure those douchebags were asshats of the first order long before wrestling against girls was ever a consideration in their lives.

I dunno. I keep mentally replacing "girls" with "African Americans" or "Muslims" (or any other group). We don't coddle racists. Why should we coddle misogynists? It isn't the fault of the person belonging to whichever group isn't accepted. It's the issue of the person having the problem.
                      Last edited by diggitydot; 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I dunno. I keep mentally replacing "girls" with "African Americans" or "Muslims" (or any other group).
                        I don't necessarily put "sex" and "race" in the same group in every situation. I think there is a definite difference there.

Comment

I usually don't, either. But when things start to go the way of "they don't belong there", that's where my mind wanders.

Comment

Makes sense

Comment

I agree diggitydot.

Comment

This thread probably needs to die anyway, but I did ask my brother (now a college freshman) if he would have been comfortable wrestling a girl. I didn't put it in any sort of context or give him the article. This is what he said:

this is random, but yes I would. When you're wrestling you have to grab and apply force at many different parts of your opponents body. I'd feel too much like I was groping the girl then wrestling her. Why are you asking?

Comment

Working...
                                X