Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gender Identity in a Ten-Year-Old

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post

And so this is really where the debate is in my eyes. How do I treat my young child who comes to me with gender confusion that may or may not be gender identity disorder. If they do have GID, what are my options? Do I lock my child into GID by permitting cross-dressing in school, offer hormone therapy that will cause sterility and do so because 1. I love my child and 2. I support the struggles of the GLBT community and it isn't kind or politically correct to do otherwise? or do I learn what ALL of the options are and try these things first.
    I completely agree!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post

And so this is really where the debate is in my eyes. How do I treat my young child who comes to me with gender confusion that may or may not be gender identity disorder. If they do have GID, what are my options? Do I lock my child into GID by permitting cross-dressing in school, offer hormone therapy that will cause sterility and do so because 1. I love my child and 2. I support the struggles of the GLBT community and it isn't kind or politically correct to do otherwise? or do I learn what ALL of the options are and try these things first.
      You're making the assumption that the family DIDN'T try all these things first. As I mentioned in my 2nd response, there is no scenario in which one of my kids would come up to me, announce they're the opposite gender and I'd say "Okey dokey". I can only assume that this has been happening for as long as this kid has been able to express himself through play, dress, choices, and is so glaringly obvious that the family feels the need to allow it to continue in order to allow the child to be himself (or herself).

Comment

You can read the case here Jenn.

http://www.familycourt.gov.au/wps/wc..._FamCA_248.pdf

It looks like the parents made an attempt to limit girl toys on their own but that they were conflicted on how to handle it. They eventually sought out a psychiatrist several years after onset of the issues. Once a GID diagnosis was made, the family began the transition. This was clearly the recommendation of the team they used.

I think with a problem this extreme, waiting 5+ years to get help is a little questionable, but I can understand their fears. It did not seem that Dr. Zucker's therapy was pursued at any time. Parents attempting to limit girl toys isn't the therapy.

In any case, I don't suppose it really matters.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

First the people were too quick to do anything in the situation, then they're reacting too late? They sought out appropriate professional help even if they didn't use a specific doc's methods. I think that qualifies as the due diligence of an involved parent, not the behavior of a permissive parent pushing an agenda of some type, as has been implied.

FWIW, 5 years of consistent declarations are MORE than enough for a parent to take the issue very seriously. Good lord, that's half the kid's life!

Comment

Working...
          X