Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Video cameras banned in the delivery room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video cameras banned in the delivery room

What do you think?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...94332#43894332
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

I think in today's sue happy society I can definitely see the doc/hospital point of view. I also thought the comment at the end about the privacy of the nurses/staff in the room, everything goes viral today - You Tube, facebook - that is another aspect not usually thought of. But Ob/Gyn's are sued more then any other specialty, I think, so its a very fine line.

I did not have video of either of my births and felt like the pictures I have of immediately post birth were great and enough memories for me. So I guess I'm more towards the no camera side of things.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Video cameras were banned in the hospitals where my kids were born. So, I guess, this isn't much of a surprise to me. I thought it was less common to allow cameras than to ban them, no? BTW, in the video they show the front of Penn State Hershey Medical Center (where my older kids were born) as one of the hospitals that ban cameras.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

My only concern is that most cell phones/smart phones have video capability AND are what many use a the primary form of a camera. Also, I do not have a camera that does not have video functionality. Are they going to ban all phones and cameras then?
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

It's also banned at the hospital where I delivered. We could take videos later, just not during the delivery. I doubt they don't allow them at all. It's pretty obvious when someone is taking a video, so they'd probably just tell you to turn it off but still let you take pictures.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I think people will find a way around it, but that it's a good policy. There is no reason that a birth needs to be videotaped (and what is the "coach" doing to help the woman deliver the baby with a camera in his/her hand?). All of the moments the couples wish to capture could be done in another format or prior to or following the birth. DH has had so many patients come in with tape recorders, videorecorders, etc, and he said he feels like they are coming to the ED to win the lottery by making a med mal claim. Obviously, a birth is slightly different, but why is it necessary? We need to find ways to decrease the adversarial relationship between the provider and patient, and if banning video recordings is a means to that end, I think it should absolutely be put into place.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'm cool with banning cameras. Every kind. Everywhere. I hate being on camera in any capacity.

Comment

I get why they're banned but a hospital-wide ban is dumb. The UH hospitals in Cleveland don't allow phones, videos, or still photos during ultrasound. It SUCKS. They give you a few blurry photos but if the tech didn't snap any good ones, you're out of luck. I would have loved a video to show elderly grandparents since the still photos are hard to interpret if you weren't there during the scan.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  I'm cool with banning cameras. Every kind. Everywhere. I hate being on camera in any capacity.
                  This.

I never even asked if the hospital banned videos. There was no way I would have permitted to be filmed while delivering. If I wasn't filmed in the pleasure of was MAKING the baby, why on earth would I want to be filmed in the pain of delivering the baby?

But as to the issue of my thoughts on the hospital policy: if that's what their underwriter requires, I doubt they have much choice.

Comment

From my experience working in several hospitals (not with this policy specifically, though) the policy is probably more to give staff a leg to stand on when someone pulls out any device to take a video.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by suzysunshine View Post
                      i think in today's sue happy society i can definitely see the doc/hospital point of view. I also thought the comment at the end about the privacy of the nurses/staff in the room, everything goes viral today - you tube, facebook - that is another aspect not usually thought of. But ob/gyn's are sued more then any other specialty, i think, so its a very fine line.

I did not have video of either of my births and felt like the pictures i have of immediately post birth were great and enough memories for me. So i guess i'm more towards the no camera side of things.
                      ita
                      Needs

Comment

Interesting. As long as still photos are allowed, I'm fine. I would have a problem with the banning of all cameras, but that's about it.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

They've never allowed vid cams in delivery rooms for as long as we've been here. I have zero problems with that - WHO is going to be watching that video?! There's something to be said for being present in the moment rather than trying to capture it for posterity.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                            They've never allowed vid cams in delivery rooms for as long as we've been here. I have zero problems with that - WHO is going to be watching that video?! There's something to be said for being present in the moment rather than trying to capture it for posterity.
                            Seriously. Who on earth would watch that video?!?!
                            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I'm not suggesting videoing that part, but what about the face of mom as she cuddles her newborn for the first time?

I think the rule is fine. It just bothers me that we live in such a litigious, sue happy world where this is such a ligitimate concern.
                              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X