Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The great debt limit debate ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
    I think that both parties have really screwed this up. From what little I've paid attention to, Obama seems to be the one trying to find a middle ground ... but I disagree with his idea of pushing something through past the next elections. At this late date, I'm more a fan of a staggered approach because I feel like we should really be taking our time to come up with a better plan. His position is well-taken though. The longer this issue is undecided, the more idiotic we look. ...
    I completely agree with most of this. Yes, of course we should be taking our time to come up with a better plan, but it's not as though there will actually be fair and reasoned discussion and debate if this comes up again in this election cycle. The circus will continue, and the Republicans want it to HAVE to come up in this cycle for the exact same reason Obama doesn't.

I truly, truly, truly wish we could just get rid of congress in it's entirety and start fresh. I have exactly no confidence in any but ... maybe 3 or 4 of them? I wonder what would happen if they all knew they weren't coming back and they just did what SHOULD be done. Some might to the exact same as they're doing now, but I doubt many.

Comment

So to those that married Germans...how does Germany do it? As I understand it, their budget is balanced (could be wrong, though), yet they stand to lose quite a bit from the Greek, Irish, and US debt crises. (I think I'm missing a country or two in that list of debtors)
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm jogging so bear with me.

Germany has progressive taxes but everyone is entitled to the benefits of health care, college etc. Their healthcare system would have many hyperventilating over death squads and sharing rooms with many others. Example: I labored in a room with about 8 women and their spouses.

Shit I just Tripped over a hose.

Don't text and jog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Kudos to you for jogging!
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
            If that's the case then I shouldn't be living in a house. I don't have $300k lying around to pay for it so I should have rented instead? That's not financially sound.
            You didn't buy the house, you bought the mortgage, and I assume that you can afford your mortgage. The bank bought your house.
            The problem being that lots of people _can't_ afford the mortgage and still live in the house. Because loan officers get bonuses for writing lots of bad mortgages. Hence the mess in which we find ourselves.
            But back to debt limits - I think the only way we're going to elicit a paradigm shift in the way the US runs it's business is to go through some shock, which will be painful, and wil probably involve defaulting.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

I never said people shouldn't use credit, only that they should live within their means. If you can swing your mortgage payments, that's living within your means.

Comment

Which brings us back to the bigger picture. Our country has to
                Be able to live within it's means, and how do we define that? What our country considers essentials must stay ... what can be eliminated must go. We also have to consider how to even trim the essentials right now.

That is the heart if the debate because everyone has different experiences and values. Our neighbor considers his boat an essential. He spends a lot on maintenance, gas, and regular trips out with it. He indulges in spaghetti fundraising dinners to fund his medical expenses. That isn't in line with my values. He can't part with his boat though. Maybe he shouldn't have to though and I'm a cynic. I have skimped on groceries to buy certain shoes and clothes for my kids. It isn't a choice someone else would make, and I get that. So how do all of us with different experiences, values, and political leanings come together for the good of the country and find compromise that we can all live with?

Comment

Good points Kris. I'm going to stay out of the debate, since I'm not one for talking politics, but I'm afraid that in today's political climate, there's no such thing as compromise. So many people are stuck on party lines, that they would refuse to agree even if, in theory, they did.
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                    Good points Kris. I'm going to stay out of the debate, since I'm not one for talking politics, but I'm afraid that in today's political climate, there's no such thing as compromise. So many people are stuck on party lines, that they would refuse to agree even if, in theory, they did.
                    and funding. everything is being led by a well-funded squeaky wheel minority. I'm pretty sure if you polled people across the country (w/o push-poll questions), you'd find more of a mid range on almost everything, with the polarizing items being the social issues (such as abortion, gay marriage, gun control, etc.). We're not a 3 or 4 issue country, it's a whole hell of a lot more complicated than that, but the politicians are led around by the nose by groups focused on single issues.

Comment

I agree Jenn. I think regardless of party affiliation that most Americans could find a middle ground. Yes, there would always be the extremes ... But the majority could come together. It seems that the politics of today are funded by extremists on both sides. Consequently, the American people have been left behind.

Comment

You're much more optimistic than I! I think instead of becoming more moderate, people are drifting to extremes. Maybe it's just the way things are where I live, but all I feel is an increased polarization.

Comment

Maybe it's just the way things are where I live, but all I feel is an increased polarization.
                          Or is it portrayed in the media/internet that way?

Comment

My opinions are not based on the news media at all. I actually stopped following the news a couple months ago. I don't even have a TV! Yep, worst journalism major ever. I'm so over the crap that people call "news", I don't even pay attention. That's why I can't comment on the current budget situation.

But, based on day-to-day interactions with people, I think the political atmosphere is changing. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and lately, the craziness at our state capitol seems to never end. I think that could be why I feel this way...the battlelines are drawn.

I do think, that my perception could be due to the increase in social media. Maybe seemingly sane people always wanted to see horrible things happen to our leaders...it's just that now they have more platforms on which to vent their craziness.

Comment

I agree. I think the "debt ceiling" is a non-issue. We have a budget process. Use it.

Comment

I don't necessarily disagree ... the exception here in my eyes is that our spending has reached a point where we have to borrow in order to meet our payment obligations. I see the debt ceiling sort of like the credit limit that the bank gives me. It is one tool that keeps me from ruining myself financially.

Other countries might not have one, but we can also point to the fact that some are in serious financial trouble!

Comment

Working...
                                X