Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Olympic coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic coverage

The Olympics have not started and yet I find myself a touch annoyed by some of the coverage. Apparently at some point Lolo jones confessed to saving her virginity to marriage. While this is an admirable attribute i am not sure why she felt compelled to talk about her sex life and why it is one of the top two facts you will hear about her. If those who talk about it the most get it the least, we Americans are in a huge drought.

I do not appreciate this "newsworthy" fact for myriad reasons. First here we set up yet another athlete as a moral example before a picture of them smoking a bong or evidence of their seventeen extramarital liasons emerge or their sex tape goes on sale. Second, there still remains a portrayal of women as virgin or whore/ bitch or angel. I get that Tebow talks about this publicly, but does the press ask phelps or lochte their lover count? It seems that female athletes are pigeonholed into more limiting roles for our consumption. Third, the highlighting of her sexual purity makes it seem like an anamoly because of all the attention it receives. Finally, I plan to watch the Olympics with my kids. I would rather talk about her technique in the blocks rather than explain virginity and why this is perceived as newsworthy.

Sorry for the typos. I am on the iPad
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I'm not as obsessed with the Olympics as I thought. I had no idea what you were talking about with the first person you mentioned.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I agree, Kelly. I read that in the newspaper yesterday and I said to DH: "who the hell cares about Lolo's virginity?"
      Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I am so glad we live close to the Canadian border and can watch the Olympics on their channel instead. Ugh.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

The virgin story kind of bothers me too. I'm not sure why National chose to focus on that when they did an entire hour interview with her?

I can't believe the traffic jam and the display for the wrong flag for the North Korean team yesterday. The wrong flag, really? Come on Great Britain the whole world is watching.
          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I wish we had Universal Sports still but our provider stopped carrying it back in January. The Olympics always become a nice distraction from reality in our household. Word to the virgin thing. Why does it matter? It undercuts the huge accomplishment of training years and getting to the Olympics and she'll always be known for that bit of trivia. Can you imagine when she does lose it? Hope they don't make a big deal about that too.

Comment

I think the Olympian is just young. The topic of sex is titilating for viewers even if it comes from an Olympian waiting for marriage.

I saw the preview to the openning ceremony's tonight. They passed the torch in front of the Prime Ministers house and then at Buckingham Palace in front of the royals William, Catherine and Harry. The big deal kicks off tonight though and I really wish we had a TV so I could watch it. I love openning ceremony's. As for watching sports I prefer the Winter Olympics because it's more like watching art performances than sports. The summer Olympics seem more sports oriented but I enjoy watching the gymnasts with their acrobatics the most. The Olympics are always so inspiring. I wish I was in London for it. It would be so dreamy.

Wanted to add this article describing the opening ceremony tonight. Link The performance sounds amazing! I think though that this year's Olympics I'm going to be dazzled watching my favorite stars more, William and Catherine. Sheepish big grin >
              Last edited by Cinderella; 07-27-2012, 07:51 AM.
              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I'm obsessed with the Olympics.

I love the Olympic spirit. I love the spirit of friendly competition. I love seeing the athletes that worked their whole lives to get their. I have 2 very close friends from the sailing team marching tonight and competed against several others in college - I feel tremendous pride just by association.

I ignore the drivel that they use because of the need to have 24 hour coverage. I just take what I like...which is lots of sports and (mostly wholesome) TV. You don't find those "virgin" stories during the actual events so that's what I focus on watching.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                  I'm obsessed with the Olympics.

I love the Olympic spirit. I love the spirit of friendly competition. I love seeing the athletes that worked their whole lives to get their. I have 2 very close friends from the sailing team marching tonight and competed against several others in college - I feel tremendous pride just by association.

I ignore the drivel that they use because of the need to have 24 hour coverage. I just take what I like...which is lots of sports and (mostly wholesome) TV. You don't find those "virgin" stories during the actual events so that's what I focus on watching.
                  EXACTLY. (Disclaimer: I should probably admit that my obsession with the Olympics should probably be considered a problem...)
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                    EXACTLY. (Disclaimer: I should probably admit that my obsession with the Olympics should probably be considered a problem...)
                    I cry describing my love of the Olympics, it's that intense. I do love certain human interest stories. I have vivid memories of some...There was a guy from Equatorial Guinea who swam alone in a heat in the 2000 Olympics because his fellow competitors had false starts. There is no Olympic length pool in his entire country but he was able to swim on a wild card entry. Or there was an American athlete who's father passed away during the opening ceremonies in Barcelona who went on to win a medal. Or a guy from Bosnia (during the conflict) that literally had to practice speed skating in his apartment (he practiced his form) because the rink had been bombed. These stories give me goosebumps and remind me that there's a wonderful, human, non-corporate side to the Olympics.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...I'm crying again.
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I too am obsessed with the Olympics, but only the actual events. I totally missed the virginity story. If they start talking about it during the events I'll be pretty annoyed. Although regarding Lolo, I honestly don't remember her for her talent, I remember her for the crazy interview she gave right after a race a few years ago when she spewed on and on about how much money she was going to get. I mean I know she comes from a poor family but damn girl; it was all she could talk about. I watched the Olympic trials this year and she showed much more composure and maturity in her post-race interview.
                      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I cry describing my love of the Olympics, it's that intense. I do love certain human interest stories. I have vivid memories of some...There was a guy from Equatorial Guinea who swam alone in a heat in the 2000 Olympics because his fellow competitors had false starts. There is no Olympic length pool in his entire country but he was able to swim on a wild card entry. Or there was an American athlete who's father passed away during the opening ceremonies in Barcelona who went on to win a medal. Or a guy from Bosnia (during the conflict) that literally had to practice speed skating in his apartment (he practiced his form) because the rink had been bombed. These stories give me goosebumps and remind me that there's a wonderful, human, non-corporate side to the Olympics.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...I'm crying again.
                        I heart you
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                          Me too!!
                          Brandi
                          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

T&S, I'm totally an Olympic crier too. And I don't cry!!! Everything about the Olympics melts my cold, black heart. Obsessed.
                            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I love it all too. I always feel badly that the richer countries that can afford patronage for the athletes win and those from poorer counties don't have a chance, simply because of funding.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X