Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

WTH?? Student denied diploma for using the word hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
    I just can't believe a high school valedictorian would be dumb enough to quote "Twilight". That should be an automatic bump down in class rank.
    No kidding. That alone makes me think the title of "valedictorian" is given a tad too freely in that district. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
      I didn't realize hell was a swear word.
      LOL, me either, which I think is why I'm having a hard time coming up with a response to this.
      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
        I just can't believe a high school valedictorian would be dumb enough to quote "Twilight". That should be an automatic bump down in class rank.
        LOL That was my first thought! (And I admit to kind of liking the series, but not enough to think it's quote worthy!)

Our school allowed multiple valedictorians if the students all had identical GPAs because valedictorians were the student(s) ranked #1 in their class by GPA. I don't know what would be used as a tiebreaker. How do other places choose valedictorians?

As far as the girl's diploma, I agree that she should have to write the apology. I was taught that "hell" was inappropriate language (except for the theological meaning, of course). I'm sure she knew better. Just because you're free to say something, doesn't mean you're free of the consequences, and this would be a great opportunity for her parents to teach her about that while the lesson is still "free".
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
          Just because you're free to say something, doesn't mean you're free of the consequences, and this would be a great opportunity for her parents to teach her about that while the lesson is still "free".
          Well said.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Fun fact: In Oklahoma, Prague rhymes with "vague".
            Laurie

Comment

I don't know what would be used as a tiebreaker. How do other places choose valedictorians?
              We weren't on the 4.0 system, technically. Different level classes (AP vs. regular, etc.) had different weights so a 95 in an AP class was worth more than a 95 in a regular class. I think the total you could get was something out of 120 and it went out a couple decimal points, so there were rarely ties. I'm not sure what they did in the case of one, though. I'm pretty sure our valedictorian was probably on the verge of a panic attack by the end
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Ours were weighted, too, but if you wanted to go to a school like OU, you needed to take all the honors/AP classes that were offered (and they structured the schedule so you could do that). Since we all took the same classes, it just required making all A's to get equal scores.
                Laurie

Comment

Princess Fiona: I'm with you and Pollyanna. She should apologize. Offensiveness is not defined solely by intent. Even of her use of the word was inadvertent, unintentionally or not meant to offend, it was a reasonably foreseeable term of offense to a mixed audience. Be bigger than the principal--who strikes me as being a tad petty--and apologize.

Teenagers. The whole world is always all about them and their feelings and their values. Show that you are bigger than that and learn a grown-up life lesson: concede where appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                  X