Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Embassy attack in Libya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait for November to be OVER!
    AMEN. I truly hate this time of year. Idiocy spewing from both sides like a firehouse, whether it be birther emails from my grandfather or Facebook posts about "Research" from classwarfareexists.com from a Facebook friend!
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I had an emotionally difficult week over this. At first I had shock over the breach at the US Embassy in Cairo. Then yesterday was a sad day and hard to take when getting the news of the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens. I couldn't think clearly afterwards nor function very well. I watched as Senior Diplomats gave human reactions around the world and felt our own nation still in mourning. I'm adjusting to everything as we learn more details and watching as the call for protests spread across the world.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

So we have an ex con, who is reported to be a Coptic Christian Man living in CA, that apparently duped some "desperate for screen credit" wannabe actors, to be in his propaganda film. Apparently he kept the subject matter from them and even dubbed the dialogue. What really pisses me off is that he presented himself as an American Israeli Jew & has been quoted as saying he had something like "100 Israeli financial backers for this film"...clearly this idiot wanted throw gas on the "fire of tensions" between the Israelis & Arabs! If that's not creaming fire in a crowded theater then I don't know what is...yes I honestly think he should be prosecuted for AT LEAST SOMETHING when it comes to this!!

A dear friend of mine who teaches @ U of M posted this shortly after the events took place:

"My family and I are horrified at the death of the American ambassador who died in the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. We are safe in Tripoli. Our family in Benghazi as well as our friends are all well. Today, we plan to attend a demonstration to protest the attack on the American embassy, and the virulent and idiotic response to a worthless film.

The article below provides some background about the film and its producer, Sam Bacile, who knew that his film was going to be extremely controversial. Bacile may have also known that the film would jeopardize Obama's presidential campaign. So the film reeks of intra-U.S. politics. Lax security at U.S. embassies will get big play in the current presidential campaign.

In Libya, the radical goons who attacked the consulate may have done so to avenge a drone attack on one of their camps last spring, which no one here opposed. The film fell into their laps as a way to get back into the political game having lost badly at the elections and sent packing when they barged into Benghazi to implement Sharia.

Salafist/Al-Qaeda types have been increasing their use of violence to subvert the outcome of the democratic elections which have shown that the Libyan population is generally moderate and wants to establish a modern civil state not a religious one. A largely discredited conservative cleric, Ismael Al-Salabi, trying to ride the furor to regain favor, stated that Libyans and other Muslims were provoked by this film. He's not the only politician in Libya and the U.S. who will use this incident to his political purposes.

On both political fronts, and elsewhere, there will be a great deal of devilish spin that relies on seemingly insurmountable ignorance. Large segments of the Libyan population have no historical context in which to place this film, no idea that anti-Islam rhetoric goes back to the beginning of their religion, and no idea that this insipid film in no way represents the American public.

Romney's people will use the imagery in their campaign and the footage may be used again when he, as President, authorizes or agrees to American/Israeli war on Iran. This whole episode is the kind of thing he's been praying for.

Speaking from within Libya, and aware that many are upset by the film, I see that most people feel that the attack on the consulate is a grave error that in no way represents their anger at the Muhammad film. The controversy over the film is divisive, and that's exactly what the Al-Qaeda types want.

Most of us fear is that things will indeed get worse before we rid of the Al-Qaeda/salafist scourge, which I am certain we will.

It is possible to express horror at both, the insipid made in a spirit of hatred to provoke hatred, and at the attack on the consulate whose personnel, and whose government, in NO way supports this film. This is where most Libyans and I stand with them in their shock and sorrow."
        K. Mattawa

here's more on the ex con, former meth maker FILM MAKER:
        http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/anti...arges-17231542
        Last edited by Momo; 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Momo, I almost posted the same sentiment yesterday. I felt sick when I heard that the filmmaker claimed to have Jewish backing and felt that he was trying to capitalize on existing tensions. His actions are not only anti-muslim, they are anti-semetic and anti-american. His actions are hateful. He has bastardized the rights our country affords him and committed a terrorist act.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

After reading that on FB, I'm glad you posted it here.

Comment

This has been a hectic day. As I watched the remains arrive from Libya of the four American's being buried I also watched as the protests against the anti-Islam film spread to over 20 countries.

Here is a google map of all the protests today against this film going on. Link

There was also three bomb threats made this morning. One at the University of Texas in Austin, one at North Dakota State and one at Valparaiso University in Indiana. All cleared. Now there is a bomb detected outside a State building in KC. A mad identified himself as a terrorist and said he left an explosive device outside the building in a vehicle and a bomb sniffing dog detected it. This is a link to the live feed. Link

I wonder if all this is connected.
              Last edited by Cinderella; 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM.
              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

What. The. Fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  What. The. Fuck.
                  Ditto. Holy shit in a hand basket...!

Comment

Side note: Valpo always seems to have bomb threats. My BFF went there and there was always something weird going on.
                    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Seriously? In freaking Valpo? Too weird.

Comment

Yep the KC bomb is about 10 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from DH's hospital.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinderella View Post
                          I wonder if all this is connected.
                          It's hard to imagine that it's not. Maybe not the same person or same group, but certainly the same motivations.

This thing is spreading like wildfire. Protests in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Tunisia, Lebanon, Sudan....
                          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Correction on the Valpo incident it wasn't specifically a bomb threat but a threat of some kind timed to coincide with a chapel service they hold there on campus.

From the google map Link of the protests being held around the world it's growing even bigger. In some places they're attacking not only US Embassies and consulates but also US institutions such as schools and even businesses identified from the US such as KFC, ect.
                            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Bomb threat here at OU medical center at transplant center.

Me wonders what is brewing.
                              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

And Western Embassies in close proximity to US Embassies are also being affected. They've attacked a German Embassy, protested outside a Swiss Embassy that represents US interests and a British Embassy reported also being affected.
                                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                                X