Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bloomberg banning bottle feeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like our experiences are varied and regional. I had a very easy time making milk and an easy time convincing the nurses I didn't need formula....but I was told often (daily in the NICU) how rare I was. I'm also not someone who needs any sleep after the birth of my kids (crazy since I normally need 9-10h a night). I was awake for 3-5 days after each birth. C-sections x 3.

Education is a great idea...but so might be limiting the influence of the formula companies. I don't think they are under the same regulations as pharmaceutical companies. Kinda like how Hills Science Diet and Purina pimp to vet students, Nestle Purina is a major formula manufacturer. Everyone knows that formula exists. It doesn't need to be advertised anymore. It doesn't need to be pushed as a GREAT new medical development. It should be available as an option for those who don't breast feed, not advertised and pushed as a way to cure tummy upset and to promote longer sleep stretches. And personally, it REALLY irritates me when they claim to be as good as breast milk.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      Also, why is formula the only thing provided free by hospitals to mothers/other patients? Seems odd to me that this is the ONLY medical thing that hospitals willingly help advertise (other than themselves). There are lots of choices as a parent and a patient, I just think it's odd that formula companies have gotten so cozy with hospitals. Why not free diapers? Why not free vaccines? Why not a free outfit sponsored by Carters?
      I got free Pampers, and they told us we could take home one of the white Gerber onesies. I would have paid money for more of their swaddle blankets, but they did give us two. I didn't get any formula.

I agree that hospitals should be better at supporting breastfeeding. It took two days and much "reminding" from me to get a lactation consultant for DS. DD was very tongue tied, and both the LC and my pediatrician wanted to just wait-and-see (for what???) instead of clipping it, even though it was very painful.

However, I think that the main effort should be focused on pregnant women and getting them to decide to BF prior to giving birth. My hospital offered a free breastfeeding class if you were delivering there, and I got plenty of Medela swag.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
      X