Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is the race really this close? Who do you think will win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you ST, for the Catholic perspective. Even if I didn't hold an orthodox religious position, I'm not sure that I'd be supportive of gay marriage. And I say that as someone who went through lengthy period of atheism/agnosticism as a young adult. By nature I'm a cultural conservative and wary of radical social changes. I know that things can and will change, especially in the modern, dynamic society we live in now, however I always look at the things we've easily discarded in the name of progress. I generally view technological changes the same way.

Comment

• If anyone is interested in a perspective on how the Republican Party can serve LGBT interests, visit the GOProud website. They lobby and have both a great intellectual perspective and a sense of humor. They are all about arguing that smaller government, lower taxes and more individual freedom benefit the LGBT community specifically. I contribute to them...and completely embarrass my husband by wearing my "GOProud" ball cap... (It's not about you, dear...)
      Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by niener View Post
        I would have the same problem voting for someone who, while I may support their economic plan or foreign policy or whatever, seeks to deny rights to anyone based on race, gender or sexual orientation. I don't think we can be expected to thrive as a nation when big chunks of our population are still treated as second-class citizens.
        Yes, me too. In my previous post, I said women's rights and LGBT rights are my priority issues, but I should include race, too - if there was a candidate that supported women's rights and LGBT rights, and had great environmental policies, but advocated denying rights to people of color, I definitely would not vote for them.

And SoonerTexan, thank you for further explaining your thoughts. I agree that it's best not to discuss the topic of marriage equality in any more detail; it would only cause me pain, and I, too, need this to be a place of support.

Comment

• ST, I know there are others here that share your beliefs and that all of you are kind, generous people who we value deeply as members of this community. While I may not agree with your religious convictions in this matter, it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to hold them against you, as I wouldn't want you holding mine (or my lack thereof) against me. I offer up an e-hug to you as well

Well shoot, I wrote and re-wrote and re-wrote again a response but it seems clear to me now that this isn't the place to drag out this conversation, so until the issue of gay marriage comes up in its own thread I'll refrain from commenting any further. But if it does, I saved my comment so all I have to do is copy and paste! LOL
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

• Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            Thank you. That has been my point for *years* with regards to marriage equality.
            Exactly!!!
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

• Love is love, people. Why deny anyone that and the rights that go along with a legally recognized union? My gay cousin and her partner would like to get married this next year and try to have a baby...and they are fighting persecution from every angle. It makes my heart hurt for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cassy
                ST, obviously I too disagree with but wanted to give you an e-hug. Thank you for your honesty despite the controversial subject. You are loved and valued.
                Yes, this too. I agree 1000%

Comment

• I live in WA State and we just passed an initiative this election that allows for gay couples to marry. It took a few days of counting lingering absentee ballots to make sure the initiative passed--it's unbelievable to me that it was that close of a vote. It should have won by a landslide, IMO.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

• Originally posted by alison View Post
                    I live in WA State and we just passed an initiative this election that allows for gay couples to marry. It took a few days of counting lingering absentee ballots to make sure the initiative passed--it's unbelievable to me that it was that close of a vote. It should have won by a landslide, IMO.
                    Those darn eastern counties!

Seriously, though -- referendum 74 didn't even come close to passing in our county.

Comment

• Yes, as a Catholic I believe that homosexuality in itself is NOT wrong, but acting upon it is.
                      Just noticed a major typo that happened when I changed the wording in an earlier post. I still don't wish to keep this going, but I want to make what I meant to write clear.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                        If anyone is interested in a perspective on how the Republican Party can serve LGBT interests, visit the GOProud website. They lobby and have both a great intellectual perspective and a sense of humor. They are all about arguing that smaller government, lower taxes and more individual freedom benefit the LGBT community specifically. I contribute to them...and completely embarrass my husband by wearing my "GOProud" ball cap... (It's not about you, dear...)
                        Who knew? Thanks for sharing.

Wife to PGY3
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

If anyone is interested in a perspective on how the Republican Party can serve LGBT interests, visit the GOProud website. They lobby and have both a great intellectual perspective and a sense of humor. They are all about arguing that smaller government, lower taxes and more individual freedom benefit the LGBT community specifically. I contribute to them...and completely embarrass my husband by wearing my "GOProud" ball cap... (It's not about you, dear...)
                          You crack me up every single time! lol!!
                          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

• Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                            You crack me up every single time! lol!!
                            Oh, I don't even try to help the situation. He deserves to be teased. It's a completely silly. So, I tell him, without cracking a smile, "I'll love anyone who loves lower taxes. I can pitch for that team. Sexy is fiscal responsibility."

Comment

Oh, I don't even try to help the situation. He deserves to be teased. It's a completely silly. So, I tell him, without cracking a smile, "I'll love anyone who loves lower taxes. I can pitch for that team. Sexy is fiscal responsibility."
                              You crack me up!
                              Kris

Comment

• You my dear are the most consistent of all on this site! Someone give her gold stars for being the best republican I know!!!

Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                                "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                                X