Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gov't can read your emails w/o a warrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov't can read your emails w/o a warrant

ETA: If Sen. Leahy's bill passes...

My facebook feed lit up with this one today...Sen. Leahy rewrote his bill which now allows >22 federal agencies to gain access to your email, FB, twitter accounts without a warrant, and without telling you that they are accessing them. Patriot Act, NDAA, why not this? Our liberties are being chipped away and nobody seems to care...

Revised bill highlights

✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
    ✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
    ✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
    ✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
    ✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days.
    Last edited by BonBon; 11-20-2012, 06:34 PM.

Well, the honest to god reality is that anyone can read most of our emails, posts, pings, pages and tweets- pretty much anytime they want to. There is no such thing as online privacy. Ever.

J.

Comment

^^^ this
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
        Well, the honest to god reality is that anyone can read most of our emails, posts, pings, pages and tweets- pretty much anytime they want to. There is no such thing as online privacy. Ever.

J.
        Dude, double this for me. The IT people at the court I work for can read my emails as a cure for bordeom, or for sh*ts and giggles...I work for the federal government. Zero privacy from the federal government. But that is also very clear as a term of my employment.

Comment

Me to- as a quasi governmental agency with Federal, State, and local funding. Good think my worst habit is reading the news!

J.

Comment

Working...
          X