Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Elmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...an_affair.html

This has been in the news for a couple weeks now. Kevin Clash (Elmo) resigned after alligations of statutory rape. I'm just sick about this.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Ugh.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Since the "victim" later recanted the allegations, I don't understand why this became such a big deal. So sad.
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

The victim is now saying he recanted under duress and that he was paid to do so. And now there is a second accuser.

Comment

I thought the victim recanted because he was a consenting adult, not underage.

I can't stand Sesame Street to begin with. Dd isn't allowed to watch it.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I don't like the current Sesame Street incarnation mostly because I really dislike the Elmo character. It seems like the "Elmo's World" segment takes up half the show. The kids and I sometimes watch the older Muppets segments on YouTube. They are familiar with the characters because we have a set of Sesame Street dictionaries that they absolutely love to go through.

Comment

Does anyone find this all that shocking? The guy is a grown man who played with puppets and talked to children in a baby voice... Creepy in the Michael Jackson kinda way.

Comment

There was apparently a neat documentary about him.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                  Does anyone find this all that shocking? The guy is a grown man who played with puppets and talked to children in a baby voice... Creepy in the Michael Jackson kinda way.
                  Not sure if you're kidding or not, but this alone doesn't make someone a creep who preys on minors. Jim Henson, Frank Oz and Fred Rogers would also fit that description, and to our best knowledge are/were honorable men.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                    There was apparently a neat documentary about him.
                    I think it's available for streaming on Netflix. I've avoided it just because its about Elmo. If it were any other character I might have checked it out.

Comment

I saw the documentary. It was on PBS. It's amazing how Kevin Clash came from nothing, began puppeteering at a very early age, and was able to introduce a new main character to Sesame Street. I just hate it when people's accomplishments are sullied by their moral failings or allegations thereof. It bothers me also that Michael Jackson's genius was almost forgotten amid the allegations against him.

Comment

I'm too drugged post wisdom tooth removal to get too much into this. But I've been too sad about this to Ben talk about it. Kevin clash is a genius and Elmo is a comfort to my kids and has been an important part of their childhood. And mine too! I think tht as long as these were consensual relationships that they should have no effect on his work as elmo. I know not everyone agrees but I think the world needs Elmo! And yes being Elmo is an amazing documentary.
                        -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem like this behavior is coming to light more and more? There is the whole Jerry Sandusky thing and then several other high profile people have been accused.

My Mom is a travel agent and last year at her work a man who worked in the help desk area was accused of this. This guy had worked at her office for years and they came to his work to arrest him. Everyone was shocked. It was in the news. Then he came back to work for awhile until a few months later when he was formally put on administrative leave.

My friend recently posted a link to a blog article about it and it's just too important not to share. Article: A Child Molester In My Circle, In the article I found the link to the Eight Common Myths about Child Sexual Abuse to be very informative.
                          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                            Not sure if you're kidding or not, but this alone doesn't make someone a creep who preys on minors. Jim Henson, Frank Oz and Fred Rogers would also fit that description, and to our best knowledge are/were honorable men.
                            Not kidding. I didn't say that it alone makes someone a child predator. But his profession makes me more inclined to believe the allegations. Jim Henson and Fres Rogers--honorable men--aside, I still find it odd when grown men choose these professions. It doesn't make every puppeteer suspect. I worked at the DA's office during law school--it was not uncommon to see sex pervs place themselves in professions and hobbies that made access and appeal to children easy. Not all, of course, but it was common enough for me not to be surprised. I am absolutely no expert; I was only a law intern and I worked there for only 15 months. But, I saw enough to make this my honest reaction.

Don't get me wrong--I hope he didn't do it. I am just saying that I am not surprised in general. What does surprise me is the fact that his alleged victim (15, right?) does not fit the age-range that would appeal to Elmo. It would make more sense if he was a pedophile, as versus a hebephile. That part of it seems weird.

Comment

Count me among the Seaame Street haters. I didn't like it as a kid, so my kids haven't ever seen it. I think it's really sad, though.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X