Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lance Armstrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Armstrong

So did anyone think that he hadn't been doping? I really didn't follow this until he did the Oprah interview. I have some really mixed feelings about how much money it cost to investigate this, his blatant lies under oath and now .... a heartfelt confession and apology?

Where do you stand? I know that doping is sort of an open secret in many sports and that he definitely wasn't the only one to do it ... but he was absolutely vicious in his attacks on former friends and colleagues that tried to tell the truth...

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Shocked. I am completely shocked.

Not.

Comment

Yeah, I'm most bothered by how he treated people while pretending to be the much maligned innocent martyr.

FWIW, doping in sports is common. The US tests their athletes the most out of any country, but people get away with PED use all. the. time. USADA is pretty stringent with their testing and in particular their random testing of athletes. Other country's anti-doping agencies are not nearly as dogged.

USADA tested the ever loving shit out of Armstrong all the time and he never popped positive. The dopers are almost always a few steps ahead of the anti-doping agencies with new regimens to avoid detection.

Comment

When I worked at OHSU in the Hem/Onc dept, my boss was his oncologist. He came up to have appointments every three months, and he was not a nice person. He was especially mean to his then-wife Kristen, who is as nice as can be. I never thought highly of him, but his oncologist (my boss) was considered God simply because he treated Lance. Ugh, I couldn't stand the narcissism, from either one of them.
        Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Originally posted by weeniegeniewife View Post
          . I never thought highly of him,
          Ditto. He always came across as an arrogant SOB (which is apparently correct, lol). Looks like Karma has firmly planted her feet in his a&$
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

He always seemed like a dick to me.

Comment

I don't know who to credit with this thought, but I think I heard it on television. If you do something like this once or twice you can call it a lapse in judgement, but year after year with no remorse, EVIL. Of course I'm jaded from dealing with our former employee's alleged 20 years of embezzelment!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

You survive cancer and then pump your body full of that shit. Yeah.

Actually, I was a little skeptical just because he hadn't been truly caught. Just wow.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don't trust people easily, and I usually think that where there's smoke, there's fire, but he fooled me. I didn't care or have an opinion either way until his most recent denial. I thought he sounded truly exasperated with all the allegations, and maybe he was truly wronged. Now I'm annoyed. He must have some nerve to take his denials as far as he has!
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

I've never met him but growing up in Austin,TX our family saw him nearly everyday riding his bicycle up and down 2222 where we lived. It was a daily ritual for someone in the family to call out to the others "There's Lance". We'd also see him cycling up and down I-35 out to Round Rock. He seemed really driven but even in the 90's as a teenager watching him train and win seven Tour de France's I wondered to myself if he used steroids. Then when he got testicular cancer I pretty much felt like that was a positive indicator that he did dope. It was kind of unbelievable even for me that he was some kind of super human cyclists that could be a champion that many times at what he did.

He shouldn't be allowed to compete in sports anymore.
                    Last edited by Cinderella; 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM.
                    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                      ... but he was absolutely vicious in his attacks on former friends and colleagues that tried to tell the truth...

Kris
                      This is the part I take the biggest issue with. I've always thought of him as an egotistical jackass, but there are lots of those in professional sports so that's nothing extraordinary. Now I just think he's a malicious, lying sack of shit. Beating cancer gets him zero brownie points in my book.
                      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Which came first, the cancer or the drugs?
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Cancer.

Comment

So he got cancer before he ever doped? (I know nothing, just curious!)
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X