Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Debate of the week: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate of the week: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

So what do you say and how are store employees greeting you? The PC police seem less concerned about this than they were a few years ago. Three years ago I only got "happy holidays", this year it's about 50/50. I'm not offended by either but I did find it stupid to tell employees not to wish customers Merry Christmas, even if they know that is the holiday they are celebrating.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Well this year I didn't bother with Happy holidays much after Thanksgiving because Hanukkah was already over (it was really early this year). It seemed dumb to wish people a good holiday that had already passed.

I say Merry Christmas when I know that's what the person celebrates and Happy Holidays if its ambiguous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Debate of the week: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

I don't understand why this is even an issue other than to give the talking heads something to bitch about. Somebody says something nice to you. Say "thank you, you too", and move on with your life.

For the record, none of my Jewish friends/family would ever be offended by a stranger wishing them a Merry Christmas.

Like T&S said, the fact that Hanukkah was so early this year, it wasn't as big as a fake issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I always say Happy Holidays. I figure it lumps New Year's and Solstice and everything else. I do say Merry Christmas back to someone, if that's how I was greeted.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Same reason as Heidi - especially when it's someone I don't see all the time - like the car guys - "Have a happy holidays" because hopefully I won't be seeing them until after the new year. But I don't really care either way

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
            I always say Happy Holidays. I figure it lumps New Year's and Solstice and everything else. I do say Merry Christmas back to someone, if that's how I was greeted.

This. I am not offended at all when, like today, the lady at the grocery store told me to have a very merry Christmas, I simply said, you too. And I plan on it. I am going to eat some yummy Chinese food and play some awesome games with friends and pretend I never had this stupid cold. It will be a very Merry Christmas even if I dont celebrate it in the religious way. Its a day off and I'll celebrate to that! But yes, when I think happy holidays I am thinking through the new year because typically when I say it, I am not going to be seeing that person until after the whole season has gone by.
            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
              This. I am not offended at all when, like today, the lady at the grocery store told me to have a very merry Christmas, I simply said, you too. And I plan on it.
              I use "Merry Christmas" if I know that the listeners observes Christmas, but I use "happy holidays" if I don't know. But sometimes I slip up. And when I do, the store clerks look SUPER squirmy, because some manager has told them that they are never, ever allowed to acknowledge Christmas, and they don't want to get in trouble.

L.Jane: Thanks for saying this. I worry that my "Merry Christmas" to a non-Christian may be read as "CONVERT OR GO TO HELL!!!" or "LET ME SHOVE MY HOLIDAY UPON YOU!!" All I really mean is, "I celebrate a day that is about peace and sharing good tidings to share with all mankind. So have a great one!"

Enjoy your Chinese food.

Comment

I say Merry Christmas. That is what we celebrate and I wouldn't know the first thing about the other winter holidays.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                  I use "Merry Christmas" if I know that the listeners observes Christmas, but I use "happy holidays" if I don't know. But sometimes I slip up. And when I do, the store clerks look SUPER squirmy, because some manager has told them that they are never, ever allowed to acknowledge Christmas, and they don't want to get in trouble.

L.Jane: Thanks for saying this. I worry that my "Merry Christmas" to a non-Christian may be read as "CONVERT OR GO TO HELL!!!" or "LET ME SHOVE MY HOLIDAY UPON YOU!!" All I really mean is, "I celebrate a day that is about peace and sharing good tidings to share with all mankind. So have a great one!"

Enjoy your Chinese food.
                  Thanks! I have to admit, once upon a time it irked me a little, and then I got off my high horse and realized, hello, people are just being nice and trying to be happy in a stressful time of the year. Some people still will take it the wrong way, but thats their issue, not yours. The over the top politically correct junk is just annoying. Its not like you said, make sure you make it to midnight mass! Do I appreciate a happy holidays over a merry xmas? Sure, but I've learned to appreciate a friendly greeting no matter what the holiday is.
                  -L.Jane

Comment

Meh. Not even on my radar. I don't notice what people say as I'm leaving, but I usually tell them to have a good day.

Comment

I've found it's a regional thing. Here everyone says Merry Christmas. I do too but only to people I know. I don't think New Years is important really.
                      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I say Happy Holidays and like Heidi I intend it to cover basically any celebration that happens between Thanksgiving and Jan 2nd. If someone says Merry Christmas to me I say Thanks, you too. I'm assuming that it's meant as a warm greeting or well wish and not an imposition of their beliefs. I'd say in the stores here I get about 50/50 Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I don't mind Merry Christmas but it annoys me when people start asking if I'm all ready for Christmas or start dwelling into my Christmas plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                            I don't mind Merry Christmas but it annoys me when people start asking if I'm all ready for Christmas or start dwelling into my Christmas plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                            This. Worse yet is when they ask the kids if they are ready for Santa, what they want for Christmas, if they are naughty or nice, etc. A simple "Merry Christmas" is harmless but when they start making small talk with the kids, however well intended, then I have to explain that we are jewish to strangers which is awkward for me and for them (and this year leads to a discussion about how Hannukah is over and no, it's not the same as Christmas) and then field questions from my kids after the conversation has ended. I wish I could find a more discrete way of handling that but I get caught between teaching my children and trying not to embarrass a stranger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                              This. Worse yet is when they ask the kids if they are ready for Santa, what they want for Christmas, if they are naughty or nice, etc. A simple "Merry Christmas" is harmless but when they start making small talk with the kids, however well intended, then I have to explain that we are jewish to strangers which is awkward for me and for them (and this year leads to a discussion about how Hannukah is over and no, it's not the same as Christmas) and then field questions from my kids after the conversation has ended. I wish I could find a more discrete way of handling that but I get caught between teaching my children and trying not to embarrass a stranger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                              This! It was so awkward when one of the very nice people in the apt complex asked B if he was excited for Santa Claus and when he looked at her blankly I explained he had no idea who that was. Luckily B was quickly distracted by something else going on and I didn't have to explain to him.
                              -L.Jane

Comment

Working...
                              X