Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The problem with the news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with the news...

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20140114/
    If you don't feel like clicking, basically it's saying that when news media/anchors perceive us as "fans" and not "the public", etc, then they cross the line from information to entertainment.

It's a very interesting perspective, and I see a lot of truth to it in the way news is triaged and presented. It's sad that as a whole, the public doesn't demand better...
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

I've been thinking that someone should launch an actual NEWS channel or just real NEWS shows again. Then we could call Fox, MSNBC, and CNN what they are....political entertainment or editorial channels.

I sympathize with the problems they are experiencing in some instances - it's got to be hard to be a local newscast, just like it's hard to be a local paper, in the age of the internet. They provide reporters and pay them, but don't always get all the value associated with their work since the reports get repeated for free online by blogs and other outlets. Still, the 24 hour news cycle created a lot of the broadcast problem. It's not the same as the problems in print.

It's a bad situation when we all have no "news" outlets that we can trust.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
      It's a bad situation when we all have no "news" outlets that we can trust.
      Yes. And it really rankles me when people slam Fox while praising MSNBC. (or vice versa, though I tend to hear a lot more of the former) I just want the facts. And all the facts, not just the ones that fit whomever's ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
        Yes. And it really rankles me when people slam Fox while praising MSNBC. (or vice versa, though I tend to hear a lot more of the former) I just want the facts. And all the facts, not just the ones that fit whomever's ideology.
        Yes! It's never a good sign when they pull people from talk shows to appear on these "news" channels (Geraldo, Elisabeth Hasselbeck...) Cronkite is probably spinning in his grave...
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yep. And the extremely biased news blogs that people quote as sources drive me insane too. It's usually not hard to find the glaring bias or inaccuracies.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yes. I have a local blog that I write as opinion. I think blogs should make it clear that they're opinions and be written in that style. If they are news, they need to NOT inject any opinion. Just the facts, ma'am. People have really blurred the lines. Since opinion is more interesting - because you get to agree or disagree with it - those sources get more traffic and more revenue. News is dying off because of the free market....and that's my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
            X