Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Video Cameras in hospital rooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Cameras in hospital rooms

I don't know that this is necessarily a debate, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

We toured the L&D ward of the hospital I will be delivering at in a month. It's a posh suburban hospital that looks more like a hotel. They mentioned they have a system (I think called Careview) that allows the nurses to see what is going on in the postpartum rooms at all times. You can click a button and it turns off the video to the nurses station for 20 minutes.

The nurse who gave us a tour said she loves it because they can do a better job of not barging in on people, trying to time room visits when someone is awake, etc.

While I appreciate that portion of it, it kind of creeps me out a lot. DH too. I'm not a huge fan of someone being able to see what I'm doing at almost any time for 2-3 days straight. Especially when that time involves lots of topless intervals figuring out breastfeeding, visits from the doc to check on healing, etc.

What do you think?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I see their point, but it would make me uneasy, too.

Comment

That's really odd, especially for L&D. No way those cameras are running during delivery, most hospitals don't even allow video recordings of the birth.

I don't know, I'm sure I wouldn't even think twice about them but it just seems odd. And seems like a huge potential liability for the hospital.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Just the postpartum rooms. The L&D rooms don't have them as far as I know
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think it's probably an attempt to minimize staffing. The hospital can have one person monitoring from the nurse's station rather than rounding frequently. Most hospitals are working hard to keep as minimal staff as possible to cut costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
            I think it's probably an attempt to minimize staffing. The hospital can have one person monitoring from the nurse's station rather than rounding frequently. Most hospitals are working hard to keep as minimal staff as possible to cut costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            It's all about the buck. They can say what they want about it, and it probably does feel like an improvement to them. I would hate it though. It is voyeuristic and ewwww.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My hospital actually has webcams in L&D in case you want to broadcast it. Donated by Drew Brees. I think the idea is for deployed or otherwise away family members, but I thought it was interesting.

As far as cameras for care providers, I agree, it would probably creep me out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Hi Stroberi, go to the intro thread and introduce yourself!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                  That's really odd, especially for L&D. No way those cameras are running during delivery, most hospitals don't even allow video recordings of the birth.

I don't know, I'm sure I wouldn't even think twice about them but it just seems odd. And seems like a huge potential liability for the hospital.
                  This. For legal reasons, I cannot imagine why they would do this. That is a huge risk to the hospital, implying that they are providing essentially 24/7, viewable healthcare.

Also super-unnerving to me. I enjoyed the time at the hospital as private time between myself and the baby and my husband and me. I wouldn't want the feeling that I was being watched, even if was for a non-creepy purpose.

And, what if I realized that I had bleed through my pads (very common right after delivery)? I would kind of like a chance to change clothes and clean up without someone watching me wander to the bathroom with bloodstain on my jammie bottoms. Post-partnum realities already deprive you of dignity, privacy and decorum.

Comment

Working...
                  X