Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gun Control/Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post

I think the NRA basically works for gun sales, not gun rights.
    YES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you hear that the NRA was trying to block the surgeon general nomination because Viveck Murthy said that gun control is a public health issue after the Newtown shooting?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Did you hear that the NRA was trying to block the surgeon general nomination because Viveck Murthy said that gun control is a public health issue after the Newtown shooting?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        I'm not an NRA member but I don't believe gun control is a public health issue either. The surgeon General is just a figure head, doesn't do much of anything important IMO.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
          I'm not an NRA member but I don't believe gun control is a public health issue either.
          Oh, I do. In some communities (south side of Chicago, for instance), it's a HUGE public health concern.

Comment

Sorry, it seems reaching to me too. Not that it isn't an issue, but it doesn't seem like the right agency. I disagree with trying to block him for that though
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oh it's totally a public health issue. I keep typing things out and then deleting them, because there's not a good way to describe how gunshots affect so much that happens in this city. Every morning, I can estimate how many GSW victims we admitted last night based on the number of police cars are in the driveway of the hospital. My estimates are probably a bit low most of the time, since high-crime areas usually only send one car.
              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                Oh it's totally a public health issue. I keep typing things out and then deleting them, because there's not a good way to describe how gunshots affect so much that happens in this city. Every morning, I can estimate how many GSW victims we admitted last night based on the number of police cars are in the driveway of the hospital. My estimates are probably a bit low most of the time, since high-crime areas usually only send one car.
                Same at slu!
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  Oh, I do. In some communities (south side of Chicago, for instance), it's a HUGE public health concern.
                  Yes!
                  This actually came up tonight when DH was flicking through the channels and he stopped on some "real life ER" show. There was a patient on who was in a gang shooting and DH said it brought back lots of memories from residency. One night as an intern he saw three clamshell thoracotomies in the space of two hours. He also saw an actual shooting driving to work one morning. It's a war zone. We agreed that if some of these anti regulation gun lovers spent one night in any of these areas, they may change their minds about there being a gun problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

It's absolutely a public health issue here in Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In contrast.......

I've just spent 6 weeks reapplying for my licenses. I have to do it every 5 years. I hold two licenses, one for a rifle, one for a shotgun. Hand guns are banned. My license also limits the number of rounds I can buy. My firearms are farm tools locked in a safe out of sight. I don't like my guns. They are tools I use.

To get the licenses I need to prove I have a need. I then need 2 referees who are interviewed by the police. My medical records are examined and particular attention is paid to my mental health. My wife is interviewed and my criminal record examined. I've had to sit a two day exam on safety and usage.

It's not a perfect system but I support it wholeheartedly.

Dave
                      Using Tapatalk

Comment

Gun Control/Rights

Originally posted by ballibeg View Post
                        In contrast.......

I've just spent 6 weeks reapplying for my licenses. I have to do it every 5 years. I hold two licenses, one for a rifle, one for a shotgun. Hand guns are banned. My license also limits the number of rounds I can buy. My firearms are farm tools locked in a safe out of sight. I don't like my guns. They are tools I use.

To get the licenses I need to prove I have a need. I then need 2 referees who are interviewed by the police. My medical records are examined and particular attention is paid to my mental health. My wife is interviewed and my criminal record examined. I've had to sit a two day exam on safety and usage.

It's not a perfect system but I support it wholeheartedly.

Dave
                        I would LOVE to see something similar implemented here. To contrast, our state has a 7-day waiting period and a background check that looks at criminal convictions and mental health issues that are reported. The reporting of mental health issues isn't consistent or compulsory.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                          The reporting of mental health issues isn't consistent or compulsory.
                          While I definitely think the criminal background check is important, it's the mental health checks that appear to be so lax it scares me. They need to up that shit ASAP.
                          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                            While I definitely think the criminal background check is important, it's the mental health checks that appear to be so lax it scares me. They need to up that shit ASAP.
                            Word.

Comment

Heidi - I'm with you. I hate guns and I wish nobody had them, particularly handguns and semi-automatics. That said, I've reluctantly come to terms with the fact that they aren't going anywhere. They are too deeply entrenched in this country.

Interestingly, against my wishes, we actually have a gun in our house (a hunting gun of some kind that belonged to my DH's grandfather). We have no ammunition though, and it's locked away in the back of a closet somewhere. It may mysteriously fall off the back of the moving truck this summer.
                              Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Wow! I can't believe that I'm the only one here that has a permit and regularly carries. DH also carries anytime that he isn't at the hospital or on school/church grounds. We have several handguns and DH gifted himself with an AR15 when he finished fellowship. I have my eye on a 45 that I'm going to gift myself when I get under 200lbs. 8 )

I think that responsible gun ownership is fine. The key word being *responsible*. I think a ton of gun owners are NOT responsible. IMHO it is not responsible to own a gun, tuck it away in a box for "just in case" and never think about it again. Shooting is not like riding a bike. It's a skill that must be practiced regularly so that if you chose to use your gun, you are familiar and confident and skillful enough to know what you are doing. We regularly go to the shooting range to keep the skills that we have. I want to start doing some IDPA competitions to simulate real world self defense scenarios. Those courses look fun!

As our kids get older we are teaching them to respect how dangerous they can be. A healthy respect and a healthy fear can be good things.
                                Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X