Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Interesting new grading system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting new grading system

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/04/23/d...QkPgg.facebook

Saw this on Facebook--thoughts?

Personally, while I think there is too much emphasis on homework completion grades (and too much homework), I don't agree with this approach at all. A college professor isn't going to give a damn if you "know so much" but fail to turn anything in.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Interesting new grading system

That really depends. Many of my lecture classes (hard science) didn't have any homework, your grade depended solely on 3 exams. There was no homework to turn in. The lab classes were separate.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We've had a few teachers that have run a system like this in their classrooms. At least in that limited amount, it didn't seem to change the nature of the kids. My kids are "good students" and they would absolutely DIE if they did badly on a test or forgot a homework assignment. Regardless of the safety net in these classes, they still always turned everything in on time and took tests one time. There was a social stigma in the high performing groups to "retaking".
      Last edited by Sheherezade; 04-24-2014, 02:33 PM.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My kids would love and thrive in this system.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Yeah - for high performing kids, it just reduces the anxiety. A lot of teachers here offers special extra credit sessions after school for kids that need a safety valve. Some allow one retake or homework do-over per semester. One teacher never collected homework but reserved the right to take it and grade it at any time (so you did it anyway or risked a substantial 0 if he picked it up that day).

I think all these systems are meant to lesson the anxiety, stress and competition in the classroom. Frankly, if anything, kids hereare doing MORE than I've seen in the past with full loads of only AP classes, starting college classes in 11th grade at local colleges, etc.

It's kind of insane.

All that said, I never like to see an entire district MANDATE a type of grading or system. I prefer the teachers to have some freedom in what makes the classroom they've got this year work.

Angie
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

All that said, I never like to see an entire district MANDATE a type of grading or system. I prefer the teachers to have some freedom in what makes the classroom they've got this year work.
            This is what bothers me. I can see the district getting a reputation that hurts its students chances during college applications.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think it's kind of weird.

The only thing our school district has ever debated that had to due with grading uniformity was the grade scale. We have a 95-100 is an A, 85-95 is a B....etc scale and there was debate to change it to 90-100. The argument was that when they convert to a 4.0 scale for college admissions, the district kids get penalized. They kept it at 95-100 for an A=4.0. The school board's argument was that the college admissions people "know" the schools by reputation and they already know that our grade scale is tougher than some.

Maybe you are right that this district will get a reputation with admissions!!
              Angie

Comment

It's not really a great school district to begin with. Not totally awful, but sure not awesome

Comment

Working...
                X