Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Discuss....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss....

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...llowed_to.html
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I don't think he has done anything that should keep him from graduating, a DUI from illegal drugs or something would be different IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

He sounds like a jerk and I'd be concerned about his compenancy as a physician because he's lied about matters of patient care. However, the school should have disciplined or dismissed him long before graduation and should not have recommended him for residency.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I get the impression that the school feels like he wouldn't be a good physician for ethical/professional reasons and this was the reason they picked to deny him his diploma. And, he bullied them into giving it to him. My guess is that he will end up being named in some kind of suit and then the question will be why did the school allow him to graduate when he clearly wasn't competent.
        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
          He sounds like a jerk and I'd be concerned about his compenancy as a physician because he's lied about matters of patient care. However, the school should have disciplined or dismissed him long before graduation and should not have recommended him for residency.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
          Yes, this. Just reading his brief history I would suspect that he will eventually hurt someone. They needed to discipline him looooong ago. Honestly, that is one of my gripes with medical school. They bend over backward to keep people in school that really have no business being physicians.

We used to say it was hard to get into med school but easy to stay in and graduate school was the opposite, easier to get in but they are more than happy to show PhD candidates the door, lol.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Really, if he continues in the same manner, he'll get fired from residency and have a pretty worthless, but expensive degree. In that case, he'll be able to get a temporary job with UPS.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

This. It's too late for it now. And he must have been a stellar student with stellar recommendations to get a derm residency!

FWIW, DH's school did dismiss someone, but it was during MS-1, when the problem occurred.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Discuss....

I missed where he lied about patients but I agree that of that is true he should be disciplined however I also agree that waiting until the last minute isn't fair. . This is like when they disciplined one resident in DHs program they took way to long to do it and she basically had nothing else she could do by the time they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                  Really, if he continues in the same manner, he'll get fired from residency and have a pretty worthless, but expensive degree. In that case, he'll be able to get a temporary job with UPS.
                  I know someone he can hang with and commiserate about how it was a set up...
                  Kris

Comment

It sounds like they had several opportunities to dismiss him previously, or at a minimum make it difficult for him to get a residency.
                    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Discuss....

I agree that he'll probably end up getting kicked out of residency. But, I think it's telling that the school had no problem taking his tuition money for four/five years, and then deciding at the very last minute that he shouldn't graduate. If they really had a problem with his behavior, it should have been addressed before he went through the residency application process.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                        I agree that he'll probably end up getting kicked out of residency. But, I think it's telling that the school had no problem taking his tuition money for four/five years, and then deciding at the very last minute that he shouldn't graduate. If they really had a problem with his behavior, it should have been addressed before he went through the residency application process.
                        This was my thinking too.
                        If they thought it was that bad, why not discipline him earlier?
                        I'm not so sure about him getting kicked out of residency though. If he's a good doctor, wouldn't it be difficult?
                        I'd take a good doc with a bad bedside manner over one that's great with his patients but has terrible clinical skills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I thought they didn't know about it until just now. Sounds like it happened on his away rotation/year.

Obviously there were other red flags, they should have removed him earlier for lying about patients, etc. Doing so with any delay and allowing their faculty to write glowing recommendations for him for residency wasn't very smart. I can't imagine his residency program is happy to have him at this point - that's who should be dismissing him now. Not his med school. He completed the courses before they knew about the event but the residency program can call it a character issue and dismiss him now, can't they? Or is that against NRMP guidelines?
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I agree that his guy's "rap sheet" with the SOM's committee on students paints him as a grade-A d-bag. So if they've had complains or suspicions about him - including a previous incident at a dance "where he was likely drunk" - WHY bolster him for the match? What was the purpose of that? If the last step in CWRU's medical education is a review of the student's performance from the committee on students, why isn't that something that's done before the university has to vouch for students for the purpose of matching? If there were any suspicious marks/reports/comments in his file, shouldn't that have been addressed well before he even applied for the match? This seems like something the university should have addressed before his matching year even approached. The DUI raising red flags is one thing - but this guy obviously had some marks against him from previous years in med school and I think CWRU should have been up front with him re: his ability to graduate as well as up front with his residency programs. It's not fair to let a student remain under the impression that they are a shoe-in for their degree if they aren't. And it's not fair to wait until just days before graduation to revoke that degree.

I don't think the judge made the right call, but I also think the university dragged its feet in addressing this and could have saved themselves whatever legal action and publicity this is getting them.

ETA: I also find it odd that nowhere during the residency interview/matching process did any of these conduct issues come up. Is that not a part of residency applications? I would think that given the extent med school's go to during med school application regarding the explicit detail required for any conduct issues encountered in undergrad, the same would go for residency? Isn't a medical student's personnel/student file verified to check for any conduct, professionalism, or other behavioral issues noted? If a student exhibited any behavior warranting any kind of documentation during their medical school journey, I find it odd that that's not something residency programs look into. You have to report that kind of thing when applying to college, graduate school, medical school, and I'm assuming any other kind of post-graduate schooling.
                            Last edited by WolfpackWife; 06-04-2014, 02:26 PM.
                            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

This will hurt him no matter what. Anyone who googles his name will find this in the futire
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X