Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Latte salute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latte salute

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/repub...ry?id=25736997

What say you? Was this disrespectful or an honest mistake?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

My Navy friend is pretty pissed about it, but he's been pretty pissed about almost everything Obama's ever done. But here's a good article about how it's another example of holding him to a different standard than past Republican presidents: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...es-part-xxxvii
    Alison

Comment

I don't give a shit. The people making a big deal out of this are also the ones who would be pissed because the dude was breathing.

Comment

From what I read on snopes and what Jenn Hussey confirmed, in proper protocol, they aren't supposed to salute at all. If you aren't in uniform, you don't salute. Apparently, Eisenhower didn't salute back to the gaurds, and that was demonstrating correct military protocol. Then, Reagan started saluting back -- which I agree is kind of the Hollywood idea we all have of what's appropriate.

I think Obama and Bush (with his doggie holding salute) 10649873_10152395951021167_3421925196405342285_n.jpg just should have stuck to waving in these instances if they want to acknowledge the military staff.

Honestly, I think it's all ridiculous that we all assign an incorrect behavior we *think* is a sign of respect as a reason to get cheesed off at someone.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Of all the reasons to judge him harshly, this seems like one of the less compelling. I am a lot more concerned about his blatant lack of respect for the limits on his power under the Constitution.

I think a lot of this hubbub by the talking heads is just phony nonsense. Right...you are just SO shocked and offended by his lack of respect and decorum. Uh, huh. Knock off the feigned indignation and shock. Why would anyone be surprised that he has no awareness of protocol related to the military? Baloney. They are just looking to bitch with faux offense.

Also...I watched a pretty good news blurb on the history of this "protocol." Apparently, it was begum by Reagan, as a gesture of respect. Ok, fine. If another President does not want to do it, OK. I have no problem, actually, with a President choosing not to salute. Historically, our President as Commander in Chief has not borne an overtly military role. He doesn't wear a uniform, etc. I kind of like that. It looks less like a military dictatorship. It reminds us that the military serves us and protects the Constitution. It is not an arm of the will of the President. But, if you are going to salute, do it respectfully.

More than anything, this was a HUGE drop-the-ball by his staff. Where was his body man--someone in charge of making sure his tie is straight, shoes are tied, and NO FLIPPING DRINK IN HIS HAND WHEN HE SALUTES.

Comment

What I do not get are the people that think everything Obama does is ok as well as the people that think everything he does is wrong.

I saw the video with the volume off on the TV so I did not know what the media was stating. Honestly, it rubbed me wrong. Don't know why...other than it looked like a half ass attempt. Either don't salute and just walk off or take the time to do it correctly. Do I think it should be treated as a big deal? Hell no. Dude has bigger issues to be criticized about as well as bigger issues that he has done well and should be applauded.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
              Point of information - Bush donned a military uniform when he stood on a warship and dropped a banner that declared "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".
              He wore a flight suit that did not bear his rank insignia. I remember Jack Krugman throwing a total hissy over it--then the op-ed wars that broke out afterward about whether Bush broke protocol. To any degree, it was not a formal military uniform like in some banana republic or in a Middle East dictatorship. As far as I know, no President has ever worn a military uniform while serving as Commander in Chief.

The latte thing was a problem not because anyone REALLY thinks Obama was deliberately being disrespectful, I would think. It became a "thing" because Obama gives a lot of people the impression that he is completely uncomfortable with his constitutional role of Commander in Chief--the leader of our armed forces--and the inappropriately causal acknowledgment of a military officer via sloshing beverage at him reinforced that impression. In fairness to Obama, it is almost inconceivable that he did that on purpose, with the intent to be disrespectful. Why would he do that? Besides, his wife does a lot with wounded warriors and military families. Whatever their personal politics might be regarding American power and military use, they don't seem to have animosity toward the military that would be demonstrated by a deliberate sign of disrespect.

Comment

Yawn. Who cares?
                I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

good thing there aren't more pressing issues in the world to contemplate. :eyeroll:
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                    good thing there aren't more pressing issues in the world to contemplate. :eyeroll:
                    Right?! Gawd.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X