Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
    Oh I wasn't saying that I can't believe it's open. Just bad luck that she would have to go on Monday.
    Gotcha. I can't believe that the schools extended the Thanksgiving vacation so that it starts on Monday instead of Wednesday.

Message to students: "The adults are going to be incapable of responsibly handling a disappointing life event and will choose to riot and threaten your safety. We think so little of the adults in your community that we presume they will act like a bunch of violent animals. Oh, and by the way, that is a totally socially acceptable standard and, by extension, that's what we must think of you. Because you come from that community."

I feel for the students who are trying to get good grades and a solid education so that they can be productive members of their community. They are losing educational opportunities because of the assumption that they are part of a community that welcomes and endorses violence.

Could you EVER imagine a primarily white community being treated this way? Did ANYONE think that the predominantly white community would riot if OJ was not convicted or something similar? Nope. Never. That never happens. It is the grinding, condescending prejudice of deeply inset low expectations. The expectation is that people will not be able to act like responsible members of their community.

And the really horrible thing is: people meet the bar that is set for them. Why would anyone be surprised if people rioted? They've been told for months that they will riot. They have been given a PASS on rioting. Everyone assumes they will riot. How about this? Tell people that there will be no rioting. Give them other options for venting their anger: legal, religious, community...How about this? Ask everyone to invest an entire day of their life to IMPROVING Ferguson. Have the interest groups collecting funding for rebuilding and organize mass groups of people to STRENGTHEN and REBUILD. And make it an EXPECTATION. Have preachers, have the chief of police, have the school officials expect this POSITIVE response. Rebuilding in the name of man who was killed instead of destroying in the name of his memory.

I know people from Ferguson. I am just so pissed about this. Sorry. Rant over.
    Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

GMW I agree with you 100%
      Brandi
      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

8:00 CST announcement. Everyone is prepared for hell.

Please keep STL in your thoughts.
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I'm so nervous. I really hope unnecessarily so.

Comment

Ferguson

I'm guessing no indictment. I think the announcement would have been on time if there was one.

Comment

😔

Comment

I don't understand why they announced it at night. Why not listen to community leaders who told them to do it during the day. If you're going to close everything anyway, it makes more sense to me to announce it at 10 AM rather than after dark.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                  I don't understand why they announced it at night. Why not listen to community leaders who told them to do it during the day. If you're going to close everything anyway, it makes more sense to me to announce it at 10 AM rather than after dark.
                  This!!! Such a bizarre decision. Not handed well on MANY levels.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                    I didn't pay close attention to the timing of the announcement, but my one thought is maybe they waited until later because of the schools in the area? I know there was concern about the safety of the children coming to and from school and how the announcement might put them at risk. But 830pm seems a bit too late and looks like it gave people time to assemble to set fire to buildings, overturn cars, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I'm disappointed by media stories reporting that the Brown family incited the crowd (his stepfather is reported as saying "burn this place down" referring to the police station). Their grief is unimaginable but they only put more people in harms way with that action.
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Wow. I hadn't heard that.

It's all just so sad.

Comment

They knew what they were doing releasing this at night instead of waiting until the morning. I'll stop there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                            They knew what they were doing releasing this at night instead of waiting until the morning. I'll stop there.

I totally agree with this, but I'll stop after seconding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                              I have heard the exact opposite, that the family was encouraging peace and asking people to not be violent or destructive.
                              I had heard that too which is why I was totally shocked by this story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/us...=top-news&_r=0

"Mr. Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, and stepfather, Louis Head, stood with protesters outside the barricaded Ferguson police station as Mr. McCulloch made the decision public. As Ms. McSpadden cried, Mr. Head turned and yelled, with an expletive injected, “Burn this down! The crowd began to roar, and some demonstrators rushed toward a fence near which police officers had assembled."

Comment

I personally believe it was best to wait until night. Many children that live in north county are part of after school care. This gave time for parents to pick up kids and get home (off the highways) If they would have done this during the day, I believe the outcome would have been far worse. I think we would have seen the same thing but even more disruptive to STL. I believe the 48 hour notice was a horrible idea. There are so many agitators on each side, that I believe it would have escalated even quicker.

Blocking i44 on a normal work day, can be catastrophic to this city. That is one of the major highways which leads to all other highways. This allowed most of us to be home, off roads when this happened.

It is sad, it is upsetting, but STL is the most racial segregated city I have ever witnessed. The anger is deep, and this has just shown how deep it really is.
                                Brandi

Comment

Working...
                                X